• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Spray a residual insecticide in the areas where the bees are active. I recommend the insecticides: Cyzmic CS, Demon WP & FenvaStar EcoCap.

While not the cheapest, Amazon conveniently carries all of them.

I actually purchased Cyzmic CS earlier this week and sprayed the deck and rafters of the deck yesterday.

This afternoon the wife sends me a text that there are four carpenter bees hovering and two trying to dig into the just sprayed wood. I even went a bit heavy on the mix - 1oz of Cyzmic to 1 gallon of water in my sprayer.

Now I'm going to try the trap method. Figured one way or another these guys are going to die. :D

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Started raining in earnest about 0900 hrs & really came down. We have 3.48" thus far & more is expected. I'm sure that this will get the fire ants moving again...

Rain1_050319.jpg

Rain2_050319.jpg

Made bread & stuffed jalapenos.

Mrs. Ranch made a big bowl of potato salad as we plan on having to cook supper inside for the next few days.

Made corn beef hash ahead of time tor breakfast the next couple of days.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Started raining in earnest about 0900 hrs & really came down. We have 3.48" thus far & more is expected.

Made bread & stuffed jalapenos.

Mrs. Ranch made a big bowl of potato salad as we plan on having to cook supper inside for the next few days.
3.6 here.Low water crossing to my north is temporary closed.Will check the garden later to see how it did.

K

ksk

I kept getting ''tornado warnings'' [two hours ago] on the cell phone.Radar indicated the storm several miles to my north/northeast.Same storm is still intact travelling in the counties to my southeast [Wharton/Fort Bend]. The wind laid down my corn,

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
storm came thru East Bernard very small hail for about 1 minute dropped 1 inch of rain . no damage

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Yesterday we ended up with a total of 4.21" rain, most of it came down hard. Today we have an additional 0.30" thus far (more is forecasted), although it is sunny & 64 degrees right now.

Put out a new seed block for the birds & cleaned/refilled the hummingbird feeders.

Cleaned & refill the wasp traps.

Dispatched 2 more snakes, total is now 4 for the year.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
After a nice, hearty breakfast of 3 fresh yard eggs & corn beef hash, I am ready to cut the grass as soon as the dew burns off (ahead of the incoming rain). It's a beautiful sunny day here!!!

Breakfast_050519.jpg

Clean & refilled the bird's water tub after the grass was done.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

We were busy this weekend:
  • Mowed the lawn
  • Pruned out the winter kill - forsythia really was hit hard this year
  • Hauled 5 wagon loads of cut fire wood (scrap lumber) from my place to a neighbor's place to burn
  • Broke up and removed the remaining old planter boxes
  • Walked the kids and dog (once Saturday, once Sunday)
  • Built a replacement window for the garage
  • Plus the typical weekend chores and events

Winter-kill was hard here this year. I think I lost a 25 foot tall Kousa (Japanese) Dogwood but I have not cut it out yet.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Bust out the gas Stilh hedger and went to town on the bushes this morning. Did my usual maintenance to our AC units. Currently fighting dollar weeds that is getting way out of control. I've noticed that these dollar weeds is congregation mostly around the dog kennels due to moist soil.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of these dollar weeds would be greatly appreciated ! It's such an eye sore, My OCD have gotten the best of me. LOL!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Watered all the porch pots. One of the caladiums is finally sprouting.

Killer another snake & a tree rat that was checking out the tomatoes.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We had 0.96" of rain yesterday. Most of the big stuff slid north & south of us. Plenty more coming coming over the next 7 days....

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
3.8 here at home outside of East Bernard half mile away corn 3 ft. tall beat down to a stub (Hail ) friends kinda close from 3 to 8 - 9 inches all considered I am lucky an thankful

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I did the weekly shopping early again this week because I sure in the hail (y'all see what I done there) ain't venturing anywhere the next 3 days...

Made pizza dough & sauce for tonight's supper (no grilling or smoking in this weather).

Getting pretty dark here at 1650 hrs... weather forecast jumped to 1.26" for tonight, then the rest of the week shows an additional 4.67". Dieter is going to be upset...

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
thanks for the thought's Sam .. however I live 3.4 miles from the river an very little chance I will flood here (famous last words) prayers for those in the flood waters path