• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the flowerbeds, porch pots, garden, asparagus bed & the remaining trees.

Made a pot of pinto beans.

Seasoned up 2 pork steaks that I'll smoke for supper. I'll also smoke 8 chicken thighs for Dieter's treats (he like the smoke flavor, LOL),

A new bird showed up at the feeders this morning... Mrs. Ranch's research shows it to be a rose-breasted grosbeak. Every year there's something new showing up!!!

Rosebreasted_Grosbeak.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Getting snow right now.

Passed the inspection and FHA appraisal on this house - three things needed to be done (1) sash locks on the master bedroom windows $4.75 total and 10 minutes, TPRV blowout tube needed to be installed $5.65 and 2 minutes, garage windows need to be installed. Windows will take longer to make but I think it will be zero out of pocket cost.

Found a rental in Michigan. Mailed the application and deposit today.

Cleaning up the basement and putting random hardware in organizer boxes.

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
pulled a few small weeds.. fertilized the potatoes . tomatoes . peppers . strawberry's . have something making small tunnels just under the surface in the garden .. mixed Permethrin 2 OZ per gal. on the active area ..

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden & asparagus bed.

Double ground the 2 briskets (80/20) & formed into patties (20 half-pounders & 30 one-third pounders). We'll vacuum pack them all tomorrow.

Cut up & bagged Dieter's smoked chicken treats, then froze them.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Watered the flowerbeds, porch pots, garden, asparagus bed & the remaining trees.

Made a pot of pinto beans.

Seasoned up 2 pork steaks that I'll smoke for supper. I'll also smoke 8 chicken thighs for Dieter's treats (he like the smoke flavor, LOL),

A new bird showed up at the feeders this morning... Mrs. Ranch's research shows it to be a rose-breasted grosbeak. Every year there's something new showing up!!!

We had one of these in our backyard today too. Along with some kind of blue bird.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Watered the garden, asparagus bed & porch pots.

Vacuum packed the hamburger patties.

Heavily pruned another oak tree & burned the 'trash'.

Fed the cattle ahead of the rain that's forecast over the next week.

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
Sam can you share what an where you got the ? compost - shredded material you added to your garden thanks

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
'Finely, shredded pine bark mulch'. For that amount, try to find someone locally & pick it up yourself to avoid being raped on delivery charges.

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
Living Earth was out .. found the Pine Bark mulch at Enchanted Garden 35.$ per yard got it home an TO WINDY blows it out of the large shovel so left it on the trailer (under a tarp)

Sam good luck with the new glasses ..after the eye surgery spent money on 2 pair of glasses several weeks went bye an something changed .. I now have to use readers only 3-4 dollars a pair

M

Mr_Yan

3 inches of rain (or melted snow) in 3 days. 3 more days of rain forecast, two dry-ish days, then 5 more of rain.

Left work early, came home and slept for about 3 hours. Splitting headache laid me out today.

Got word we were selected / approved for the rental house - 48 people inquired / applied in 3 days but we were the first. That market is TIGHT.

My wife applied to get two kids in the charter school there (top 25 rated elementary school in the state) and the 2nd grader was accepted instantly and the 4th grader is #4 on the wait list.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Yes, it is naturally acidic & will lower the ph. Periodically you have to add lime to raise the ph again. A pH of 6.5 is just about right for most home gardens, since most plants thrive in the 6.0 to 7.0 (slightly acidic to neutral) range.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Clean ceiling fans & reverse the rotation for summer.

Start the 'begining-of-the-month' chores (HVAC filters, computer maintenance, bleach in septic system, etc.).

Made pizza dough & sauce for tonight's supper.

We had a male Baltimore oriole visit us this afternoon while we were on the back porch.

Baltimore_Oriole.jpg

K

ksk

I'm back after having health issues the last couple of weeks.It looks like my onion crop will be poor after two seasons of excellence. Too much rain this past winter.Took a sampling of potatoes and they seem to be doing good.Tomatoes,corn,squash, and beans are doing good also.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
We re-did our back deck last year and this year the carpenter bees have already started buzzing around and looking to dig. Tonight I'm waging war and building several traps.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Spray a residual insecticide in the areas where the bees are active. I recommend the insecticides: Cyzmic CS, Demon WP & FenvaStar EcoCap.

While not the cheapest, Amazon conveniently carries all of them.

M

Mr_Yan

More rain and mid 40s as a high. Midwest spring.

Most of the 10 day forecast is calling for rain. More river flooding in store for the midwest. Welcome to spring.

Scheduled another U-Haul U-Box and the delivery for the boxes to the new place in Michigan. Our plan is the bulk will be in 3 U-Boxes delivered for us to the new house and we'll drive the smallest box truck possible one way and pull my little Kia behind the truck. The kids will be with grandma and grandpa for that week.