• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

K

ksk

Made jelly and jam today.I use 1/2 pints. Had 7 blackberry jars of jelly,3 jars of sugar free strawberry jam [for oldest daughter],and 8 jars of strawberry jam.

M

Mr_Yan

high of about 70 F. Got another inch of rain overnight through mid day. Rain ruined my task of painting the garage.

Putted around, cleaned some stuff up, cut the twine for my pole beans (~50' of row), set up the outdoor dutch bucket hydroponic system.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the all porch pots & hanging baskets... rather pleasant today as it's only 94.

Seasoned up 4 strip steaks that I'll smoke for supper. They'll be served with sauteed onions/green peppers & baked potatoes.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Low 70s and cloudy today.

Spending most of the day repainting the front gable end of the my garage. All ladder work. Scrape, prime, paint.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus, flowerbed & all the trees.

Mrs. Ranch & I went to town to get our haircuts.

Harvest tomatoes. Tomorrow I should have enough to start processing them into spaghetti sauce.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Trimmed a oak tree near the house that is showing signs of dying. Rolled the dice on next weeks forecast for rain and mowed the front pasture.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus & all the trees.

Fed the cattle.

Harvested more tomatoes, then started processing them into roasted spaghetti sauce. I got 2 pans of them roasted & skinned today so I'll finish the batch up & can it tomorrow as it's now time for my daily margaritas.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Replaced the backup batteries in all the smoke detectors.

Harvested a bucket of green beans, some slicing tomatoes, green peppers & cucumbers & gave them to our mail lady.

It did rain a little this afternoon (0.16"), bringing our year-to-date total to 10.21". It's dry as a bone here...

Finished the spaghetti sauce & canned it. Next up is the soybeans...

Spaghetti_Sauce1_061418.jpg

Last edited:
K

ksk

Canned 5 pints of Ranch's Salsa Verde.The wife and I thought it was very good.I plan on taking some to a Father's Day get together Sunday.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden & asparagus. They said it might rain this afternoon, but I'll believe that when I see it...

Made bread.

Did the weekly shopping.

Harvested jalapenos to stuff for supper tonight.

Cleaned/refilled the 2 hummingbird feeders.

Got a pot of pinto beans seasoned up & soaking for tomorrow.

Last edited:

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Finally got around to germinating some Pink Pride of Barbados. Had to go back and find Wolfman's post from last summer! LOL! Give me a little time. I'll have some seeds for everyone. FYI: When "Scoring" these seeds..Don't use a box cutter while holding them with your fingers!

35363278_1831267706930735_4931103092713193472_n.jpg

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Finally got around to germinating some Pink Pride of Barbados. Had to go back and find Wolfman's post from last summer! LOL! Give me a little time. I'll have some seeds for everyone. FYI: When "chipping" these seeds..Don't use a box cutter while holding them with your fingers!

View attachment 3132

My 2 little plants from last year survived the winter. I did cover them pretty good though. Just need some rain to get them moving.

M

Mr_Yan

Topped out around 92 F, slight breeze, partly cloudy.

Started scraping the back gable end of my garage. Possibly got 2/3 of the way through it today. Some of the wood siding is in bad shape. Was out there at 6:30 am, took a break in mid afternoon, and finished when it was too dark to easily work at about 8:30 pm.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Seasoned up the chicken for fajitas tonight.

Formed up another tree ring in front of the greenhouse. I plan on planting one of the Crape Myrtles that I propagated about 4 years ago.

Harvested another tub of tomatoes. We'll be canning these after skinning them & removing the seeds (probably tomorrow as I'm not all that ambitious today).

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Yesterday at about 6:30 am.

Now

Took off about two plastic shopping bags of paint chips. Several siding boards in BAD shape. Will have to replace all facia wood when I replace the roof. There are currently three layers of shingles on the roof.

M

Mr_Yan

Still working on the garage.
Started at 6 am. Temp was 78 F.

Back end primed

Back end painted (1 coat)

Front painted (1 coat)

Finished around 2 pm. Temp was 90 F. Slight breeze and mostly sunny.
The paint had about no working time once it was brushed on, even with Floetrol added. These two sides will require second coats.

M

Mr_Yan

Rain started at just about 6 pm, as we sat down for dinner. Now it's about 6:25, still raining HARD, and my rain gauge says 1.6 inches.

=========

Adding
Update:
6:47
3.5 inches since 6
Just finished a whirlwind pickup of the basement, sweep, vac the water that is inside already.
Backyard under water, mulch floating everywhere.
Street in front of the house is mid-calf deep on the people that were just running past. City may be replacing the 30 MPH sign with a NO WAKE bouy.

There's a Volvo stuck about 2 houses down, she's in the normal traffic lane and up to the mid point on the wheels.

=======

Adding
8:22
4.9 inches of rain, still lightly raining now.
Spent another 30 minutes in the basement getting things off the floor and vacuuming to ensure the floor drain continues to flow.
Spent 45 minutes outside, in the dark, in the rain, digging trenches to get the backyard to flow out. Felt like some bad horror movie where I was digging holes in the dark and rain.

New project for the summer - some combination of:
  1. Regrade the yard - I found spots where it was pooling against the foundation.
  2. Install a french drain to shunt the water out of the yard. Seems like I just trenched the yard last summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr_Yan

Emptied the rain gauge. 5.9" of rain since 6 pm (now 10:17 pm). Still raining and radar forecast calls for more.

Basement water flowing to the drain.

Local hospital ground floor flooding - diverting new patients, starting to evac patients to other hospitals. Several houses in the neighborhood with LOTS of water in the basement. A few alleys and (paved) driveways washed out. A few swift water rescues (one in a grocery store parking lot about 2 miles from here).

M

Mr_Yan

Another 0.6" overnight. Total 6.5" in less than 12 hours.

Read on Facebook where someone near here had to be rescued by the Fire Department from their house as flash flood waters were too high.