• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Mine are Kieffer pears. The fruit has a course texture & it is not suitable for eating out-of-hand... it is most well-known for it's use in cooking, baking & preserves. It is an excellent substitute for apples in pies (apples will not grow here).

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went & lowered the flag to half staff when I woke up. I'll go & raise it again at dusk. Put new flags on FIL grave & on his memorial here at the ranch.

Clean/refilled the redbird feeders.

Watered the trees, garden, asparagus & flowerbeds.

Prepped a sirloin steak that I'll smoke later for supper.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Topped out around 96 F today.

Was up at the community garden at 5:15 am - official dawn is 5:30.
  • planted 16 rows of beans (28' long rows)
  • planted 3 more rows of corn
  • hoed / weeded my 25 x 75 garden
  • watered the garden
  • mowed with the tractor to push back the field again
Naturally just after I finished planting the rows of beans a friend of mine showed up with an earthway seeder.

Built the swing set. Bought this as a hardware kit and loose lumber.

K

ksk

Mine are Kieffer pears. The fruit has a course texture & it is not suitable for eating out-of-hand... it is most well-known for it's use in cooking, baking & preserves. It is an excellent substitute for apples in pies (apples will not grow here).
Ranch I planted two Kiefers a year ago and they seem to be doing ok.How old are your's?

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Getting some hats/shirts done up for the business. After messing with several large companies that "couldn't do this and couldn't do that", I ran across a small veteran owned shop that is taking care of business for me. Small business is where it's at these days.

wolffeng hat.jpg

And here's the 'proof' from one of the big companies. You gotta be kidding me.

Wolff-Engineering-proof.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Harvested jalapenos & green beans to go with tonight's supper. Also harvested the peas & can't say that I'm impressed at all with the yield of the 'Wando'.

Clean, level & refilled one of the cattle's water troughs. Also replaced the float valve & hose to it.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Topped out at 80 F, got 1.1" of rain according to my gauge.

to do list as long as my arm but no motivation

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Went to pay the quarterly taxes, get fuel & pickup license sticker for the truck.

Watered the porch pots & hanging baskets.

Made 2 buttermilk pies, one for us & the other for a neighbor.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I work for a business unit of a fortune 100 company (conglomerate) that is also in the Dow Industrial 30. It sucks.

Yep, I've worked for the 4th largest employer on the plant and the 8th. Now I work in my shop by myself. I'm about to get a dog, much better company than any idiotic co-worker could attempt to offer. People lose their minds in the workplace.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus, flowerbeds, & all the trees.

Harvested green beans.

Cleaned another water trough, leveled it with sand & replaced the float valve/hose.

Sprayed RM43 herbicide in the hay trap & around the barn. Then did the main entry. I wish I could have done more, but it's too hot.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Watered the garden, asparagus, flowerbeds, & all the trees.

Harvested green beans.

Cleaned another water trough, leveled it with sand & replaced the float valve/hose.

Sprayed RM43 herbicide in the hay trap & around the barn. Then did the main entry. I wish I could have done more, but it's too hot.
Ranch how do you store the green beans,freeze[vacuum pack] ?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Remove the ends & pull the 'strings' as neccessay, snapping them into the length you want.

Wash them in cold water.

Blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes. Then put them into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process before transferring them to colander to drain. After they are well drained, spread them out on a towel to dry before bagging.

Place the bags in the freezer... you want then frozen solid before vacuum packing to prevent crushing them.