Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made hotdog buns for tonight's supper.

Picked another tub of green beans & started processing them (see previous post).

We now have 26 - 1 pound bags in the freezer. The rest will be given to our friends.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Remove the ends & pull the 'strings' as neccessay, snapping them into the length you want.

Wash them in cold water.

Blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes. Then put them into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process before transferring them to colander to drain. After they are well drained, spread them out on a towel to dry before bagging.

Place the bags in the freezer... you want then frozen solid before vacuum packing to prevent crushing them.
As always, thanks.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Spent the entire morning 'refurbishing' the refrigerator. The wife wanted to get a new one, but instead of spending roughly $2000 I talked her into fixing this one back up. I ordered all the parts last week. Started off by giving all the mechanical components a general cleaning. Then a good washdown inside and out followed by automotive wax and stainless polish. Replaced the icemaker, filter, all the light bulbs, one glass shelf and one door hinge. Painted a few metal spots on the interior and the freezer baskets with epoxy appliance paint. A little elbow grease and the thing is almost new again for $130.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the trees, flowerbeds & the porch pots.

Clean & refill the bird's water tub.

Moved the rolls of hay from the front pasture into the barn's hay trap. Then opened the gate to allow the cattle into the front pasture.

Did the updates & backups of all the computers.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I agree Wolffman. It doesn't look like it will not be a good year with July heat starting in mid-May...which is why I rotated the cattle to the front. They mind as well eat the grass there before it burns up. I also going to pick up a load of supplemental feed tomorrow morning.

K

ksk

I agree Wolffman. It doesn't look like it will not be a good year with July heat starting in mid-May...which is why I rotated the cattle to the front. They mind as well eat the grass there before it burns up. I also going to pick up a load of supplemental feed tomorrow morning.
An old guy [mid 80's] near Frielsburg has all his tomatoes covered with sheets.I picked my first one late this evening and could not believe how hot it was.

M

Mr_Yan

Long weekend of work around the yard and garden:

garage-1.jpg
after a few hours of scraping paint

garage-2.jpg
after a few hours of priming everything

garage-3.jpg
after a few hours painting the field - still have to do the trim, and facia

moved mulch, cleaned up the front yard, weeded and watered the community garden, played with kids, among other things

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Fed the cattle.

Harvested jalapenos & green peppers. Mrs. Ranch selected 14 of the biggest to stuff with ground brisket mixed with onions & rice. The rest were processed for vacuum packing & then frozen for later use with fajitas. The japs were stuffed in our normal way as a side dish for supper tonight.

Watered all the trees, flowerbeds, garden & asparagus bed.

The temperature hit 99 degrees today. It's getting hot...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Trim & tenderize the beef skirts that I bought a couple of days ago, then vacuum packed them.

Harvested some cucumbers, tomatoes & green beans for our mail lady. Threw in some extra potatoes, onions & green peppers as well.

Watered the garden & asparagus.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Harvested some more jalapenos.

Watered all the trees, flowerbeds, garden & asparagus.

Fed the cattle.

Weeded the Lirope areas under the trees. Some of them are starting to send up flower buds.

Put out another seed block for the birds & cleaned/refilled their water trough.

Trimmed the oak trees in the back yard & then burned the 'trash'.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Made bread.

Harvested some more jalapenos.

Watered all the trees, flowerbeds, garden & asparagus.

Fed the cattle.

Weeded the Lirope areas under the trees. Some of them are starting to send up flower buds.

Put out another seed block for the birds & cleaned/refilled their water trough.

Trimmed the oak trees in the back yard & then burned the 'trash'.
Ranch I saw where we [Colorado County] are now in a burn ban.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden & asparagus.

Did the weekly shopping. Picked up another couple of briskets that I'll make ground meat out of to replenish our supply (Mrs Ranch used just about all we had to make the stuffed peppers).

M

Mr_Yan

T-storms started at about 2 A.M. and we've gotten 2.6 inches of rain by my gauge since then.

This may put a damper on my painting another side of the garage this weekend.