• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Raining still (0.24" thus far) but at least it's warmer (75 degrees). At 1500 hrs, the sun came out now it's a beautiful day here.

Made bread.

Made a big pan of scalloped potatoes.

The hummingbirds were really late this spring, but they started arriving in waves today. Put up 3 more of the big feeders on the back porch.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Last night was WINDY. Sustained around 40 mph gusting well past 60 mph. Garbage cans and toys all over the neighborhood today.

Short bike ride (4.5 miles round trip) to the house we're buying to look at the garden area while staying on the sidewalk.

Seed starting is giving me fits this year. Problem with trying to do it this cheaply. Time to break out the good tools.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Started a new batch of wine today. This one consists of the juice from 2 watermelons, 1 jug of white grape juice, the juice from 4 cooked, over ripe bananas, strawberry nectar and strawberry/banana nectar. I just threw this together because I was bored and pretty much don’t know what I’m doing. I’m saving the recipe just in case I don’t barf when it’s tasting time.

0712DF51-4596-46C7-86F3-1231FFC05748.jpeg

M

Mr_Yan

Made chocolate chip cookies - batch 6 of lock down.

Started more tomato and pepper seeds on damp paper towel in a ziplock sandwich container.

Watched 6 deer in the backyard around breakfast. They were within 9 mm range.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Put up 2 additional hummingbird feeders & refilled the others as needed.

Continued weeding & mulching the garden.

Replanted about a third of the green beans & then planted the cantaloupe.

Watered the garden, asparagus & the pots/hanging baskets on the back porch.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Watered most of the trees, flowerbeds & the pots/hanging baskets on the front porch .

Started spraying RoundUp around the yard again.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Hey Sam. How are your onions looking? Mine look like they are a couple weeks away from pulling. I planted Nov.25th.

M

Mr_Yan

Sorry Texans but... Looks like the Michigan governor is going to try to extend the strict stay home order after next week. I've lost track but I think we're 6 weeks in now. I don't think the state legislature has the backbone to fight back.

Either you Texans will have to do the economic heavy lifting and pull us out again or secede from the US.

On the dog walk around the neighborhood I saw a few Trump 2020 stickers and flags but this part of the state isn't enough to over power the Detroit area.

-------

Lettuce is looking good. Some tomatoes are up but no leafs yet. I'm about to put my un-germinated pots in a box with a lightbulb as a heater. I think I have a thermostat controlled power cord.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Would you allow me to immigrate?

It's a free country here, but if you did, don't try to change it in any way. We like it just the way it is.

Actually I was surprised that you moved to MI, as it is no different than IL (or most northern,western or eastern states) when it comes to taxes & the political gestapo tactics.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping, most of which is more of the new 'norm'. Walmart was the same as it was a couple of weeks ago. The lady at the 'Tobacco Barn' remembered me so she didn't try the 'limit gimmick' and just got my 4 cartons of cigarettes & rang them up. Then my next stop was the Tractor Supply Co... this is where the fun started. I picked up my order & decided to also get 4 cases of 'RoundUp' & some misc. hardware before heading to the checkout. I tell the young snowflake that it's all tax exempt & rattle off my phone number so she can enter it to access my tax number. So I head to the truck with my stuff & when I look at the receipt, I find $20+ in tax on it... GRRRR!!!! I head back to the checkout & tell here that she charged me tax & that I want it put back on my credit card. She has to call a couple of more people to help as she has no idea what to do. They tell her to void each item out & to key in everything again with the exempt code. Obviously that was beyond her skill level, so she starts crying & runs into the back room, leaving these other 2 to deal with her mistake. When it was all said & done I told both of them that the incompetent snowflake needs to be either terminated or be retrained before putting her in a customer contact position again. What the hell is wrong with these young people that can't cope with a simple job without having an emotional meltdown??? The highlight of my day was the actual grocery shopping, which was uneventful & I was happy to see that most of the employees had lost their masks/gloves, LOL!!!

Trimmed the root suckers that were coming up under one of the oak trees.

M

Mr_Yan

...the incompetent snowflake needs to be either terminated or be retrained before putting her in a customer contact position again. What the hell is wrong with these young people that can't cope with a simple job without having an emotional meltdown?

These snowflakes give millennials like me a bad name.

M

Mr_Yan

Actually I was surprised that you moved to MI, as it is no different than IL (or most northern,western or eastern states) when it comes to taxes & the political gestapo tactics.

This is my wife and I repatriating to MI. Michigan is kind of two faced - liberal as hell around the mess that is greater-Detroit (think Flint, Ann Arbor, Detroit, Dearborn, Troy, Warren) and parts of northwest lower Michigan (think within an hour's drive of Traverse City). Western and central michigan, and especially da UP, is the polar opposite. This move puts us an hour away from my dad's place or my brother's place, just over an hour from my wife's sister, and about 3 hours from my wife's parents.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Got to get outdoors a bit. Went to visit my son's place in Concan, Texas.
Peach
My 2 " Grand-kids" ( Son's two goofy hounds)
Made some W.R. Ranch Buttermilk pies for our seniors citizens. All our girls are home so it was a breeze.

88206519_2899781460079349_4457839224732778496_o.jpg92007759_2962716890452472_226448186426785792_o.jpg62310879_2365729226817911_6061437987080634368_o.jpg78548183_2688899161167581_16853898346102784_n.jpg76778198_2688899204500910_3152695751214104576_n.jpg77154497_2662425150481649_4093818966617620480_n.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Sprayed 'Drive XLR8' on the patches of crabgrass in the front yard & the other side yard.

Watered the garden & the pots/hanging baskets on the back porch.

Mrs. Ranch made 2 batches of enchiladas.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Replaced the 'secondary 'hooks on both porches (these are the ones that I hang the hummingbird feeders on). The old ones were thinner & starting to wear through.

Continued mulching the garden.