• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

W

Waite

Got a little over 1/4" of rain last night, 1/8" the day before. More coming, they expect 2" over the next few days.

First asparagus popped up overnight, 2 spears on one crown. It's going to be very difficult NOT picking them this year!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Took Mrs. Ranch to the optometrist for new glasses & I did the weekly shopping while she was doing that.

Watered the hanging baskets & the porch pots.

Seasoned up 4 pork steaks that I'll smoke for supper.

M

Mr_Yan

You guys pulling onions already, mine have just been in the ground for 4 days.

W

Waite

Planted slicing and pickling cukes, zucchini. Cut a plastic 55 gallon drum in half for two sweet potato containers, will plant 4 slips in each.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus & all the trees.

Refilled the hummingbird feeders as needed.

Made a batch of stuffed jalapenos & Mrs. Ranch made potato salad to go with the smoked pork steaks for tonight's supper.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cleaned/prepped the onions. The smaller ones will be diced, frozen & vacuum packed tomorrow. The larger ones will be put in storage.

Cleaned all the small potatoes. They will be cook, smashed & vacuum packed tomorrow as well.

Watered the melon patch.

Next week's forecast for Tuesday thru Thursday is 99 degrees
(which is what July normally is... not mid-May)!!! If you are in Texas, get those potatoes & onions out of the ground now or they will get steamed & rot.

Mrs. Ranch made a dewberry pie.

Last edited:
W

Waite

A little under 1-1/2" of rain since thurThur evening. Most of it is coming down in showers, so kind of perfect. Supposed to end by tomorrow morning. Just assembled one of those white cast iron garden chair and table sets for the wife, she wanted something back by twhere the grandkids play. Made Mother's Day easy.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I dug two ditches in my back yard. I now have a massive sized X back there. One to run coxial cable to the service box to my house in conduit and the other ditch to run electric out to my shed.

Hoping to have the electric line at least ran tomorrow and to start covering up these ditches.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Made a pot of pinto beans.

Watered the garden, asparagus, flowerbeds & all the trees. Killed a big rat snake (4+ ft.) that scared the crap out of me when I was turning off the back flowerbed...

Cooked the new potatoes, smashed them up & portioned them into containers for freezing, We'll vacuum pack them tomorrow.

Diced up the onions, put them in the bags & then into the freezer prior to vacuum packing.

Last edited:
W

Waite

Made breakfast. Bacon, scrambled eggs with mushrooms and fresh chives, and cinnamon sugar pancakes with southern fried apples.

Another full inch of rain overnight. Between the cool weather and rain plants have all put themselves on hold with the exception of onions, peas, and beets. They love this stuff.

W

Waite

Well, we're at 2-1/2" since Friday. We got a full inch overnight Saturday into Sunday. It's storming right now with 1-2" expected before noon, then some sun/clouds until 9, then severe storms. More rain tomorrow.

Of the 50 asparagus crowns I planted one has sent up two spears. The rest haven't done anything. No rhubarb either. I'm hoping that it's just a matter of some sun and warmth, but am concerned they're drowning. The area is pretty well drained, so fingers crossed.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden & asparagus bed.

Made bread.

Continued cooking/smashing the new potatoes for freezing. Mrs. Ranch decide to shred a bunch for hash browns to try freezing.

Cut the grass ahead of the higher than normal temps after raising the blade height.

Seasoned up chicken fajitas for supper tonight. I'll make some Spanish rice for a side dish.

Last edited:
W

Waite

Bamboo update...Some of the canes are over 7' and there are a bunch of new ones poking through the dirt. This stuff grows much faster than I had imagined.