• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
They're looking good here... the rains came at just the right times to facilitate a big, juicy crop of berries.

I'll probably pick more around Thursday, while the city dwellers are still at work. By the time they get here for the weekend, the big ones will already be in our freezer, LOL!!!

W

Waite

Fine job!

My day wasn't near as creative nor enjoyable. I got my 50 Honeoye strawberry roots planted, but had to remove a pretty good root. No idea why the tiller didn't find it. To wooped to wrap up, will plant the Seascapes tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr_Yan

Started seeds for a TON of plants.
  • 28 butternut squashes
  • 12 watermelon (8 crimson sweet, 4 sugar baby)
  • 3 summer squash
  • 4 fairy tale pumpkins
  • 152 beets
  • 32 marigolds
  • 20 more feet of double row carrots

Continued to work with my 5 year old on bike riding. Something clicked today and he is riding great. He also needs to be put in place - 30 minutes after just learning how to ride he was saying he was even better than me on a bike. I've done 5000+ miles in one season, ridden across the state of Michigan twice, rode to school daily for a year with a laptop and books in panniers...

M

Mr_Yan

10 days ago we were getting snow. Today we hit 80 F with full sun. This is why I can't grow a spring garden.

Replaced the heating element in our dishwasher.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
They're looking good here... the rains came at just the right times to facilitate a big, juicy crop of berries.

I'll probably pick more around Thursday, while the city dwellers are still at work. By the time they get here for the weekend, the big ones will already be in our freezer, LOL!!!

LOL!!!
I've been stalking a little " Honey Hole" by Little Cypress Creek. Full of berries !!

W

Waite

10 days ago we were getting snow. Today we hit 80 F with full sun. This is why I can't grow a spring garden.

Replaced the heating element in our dishwasher.

Yup. Two weeks ago we had an ice storm take out power to thousands. Today we're hitting 80 +.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Mrs. Ranch & I went to town to get are haircuts.

Tied up the tomatoes for the 3rd time & trimmed the bottoms so nothing is touching the ground. A number of them already have golf ball sized fruit.

Put out another seed block for the woodpeckers.

Refilled the hummingbird feeders, both front & back.

Watered the garden & asparagus bed.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Went dewberry picking after lunch. My usual spot was empty so I drove down the county road about 1/2 mile. Fence line there had some really good patches. I liked picking from the fence line better anyway, not as much bending over. Wife should be plenty happy when she gets home.

dewerries.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cut the bay leaf tree down to 6" as it was severely hurt by the 2 cold fronts this past winter.

Planted more radish.

Refilled the humming bird feeders & put 2 more up as the numbers now merit it.

Watered the back flowerbed as about 40% of the flowering bulbs are up!!!

Continued mulching. I need to order another 14 yards as I'm nowhere near finished with the melon patch.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Cut the bay leaf tree down to 6" as it was severely hurt by the 2 cold fronts this past winter.

Planted more radish.

Continued mulching. I need to order another 14 yards as I'm nowhere near finished with the melon patch.

Bay leaf tree. Interesting. What's the growth habits with that tree?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It will grow up to 12' high... Our's was about 5' & 3' diameter before the severe winter weather hurt it... it requires a Mediterranean-type climate. It's been in the ground for 3 yrs now.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cut the grass.

Watered all the porch pots. The 'Angel Trumpets' are starting to bud out.

Watered the garden, asparagus, & all the trees.

Burned the 'trash'.

Started the monthly computer maintenance (updates & backups).

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Picked about another 3 lb of dewberries this morning. Starting picking onions. As expected, quite a few small ones. But, some decent sized ones too.

As of this evening I'm up to 16 lb of dewberries. Told the wife I want to pick enough for one cobbler a week for a year hahaha!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Starting to rain here, but the hard stuff is passing north of us...

Did the weekly shopping.

Refilled the hummingbird feeders as needed.

Picked a big bowl of basil this afternoon. Since its raining, we are having bruschetta for supper tonight... About 95% of the basil is going into the dehydrator so I can start replenishing the pantry's spice rack.

Basil_050418.jpg

Last edited:
W

Waite

It's been a couple of busy days. We went from waiting for the weather to change to feeling like I'm behind the eight-ball. Wednesday I moved 6 tomatoes, 3 basil, and 3 giant marigolds out to the new back bed. It was starting to thunder as I was finishing up, and it started raining almost immediately. Severe storms and a deluge the rest of the night. Next morning everything looked fine.

Stella Cherry tree is blooming, the other one and the plum are starting to leaf out. The strawberry roots are already showing signs of life, including blossoms. I'll pinch them off so the plants can establish themselves.

Rainwater tub is already full. Added manure to the squash/beet bed. I wanted the beets in the ground several weeks before I planted the squash, not going to happen.

M

Mr_Yan

[Bay leaf tree] requires a Mediterranean-type climate. It's been in the ground for 3 yrs now.

My step dad planted one of these at their condo in St Louis one fall about 15 years ago. I watched him do it and told him it was not freeze tolerant but the PhD ag chemist assured me that it would be fine. The tree never made an appearance the next spring.

M

Mr_Yan

About 3 inches of rain in the last 48 hours. This morning the wind was trying to turn the trees inside out.

Peach tree flowered and has dropped petals. Jane magnolia and rhododendron in full bloom. High 70s again and still and windy.