• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

M

Mr_Yan

I removed a small raised bed and replaced it with two pallets as a raised bed. Lay the pallet flat and fill with soil then grow rows between the slats. Worked in the sun while wrangling a munchkin and was over heating and dehydrated by 2 pm. What is the line 'only mad dogs and englishmen stay out in the midday sun'.

S

Slowngreen

I ate a black cherry tomato which was the grossest tomato ever! Maybe they need to keep growing lol, was red but not very. So bitter.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I'm with you Ernie, my little container garden is coming to an end. Now it's just a matter of cleaning up, and keeping the chives cut back - they grow like weeds!

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
I pulled weeds this weekend, removed one eggplant that had gotten out of control (size) but not producing anything, and picked and pickled some jalapenos.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I line trimmed & cut the grass Saturday (in preparation for some spraying) & weeded the garden yesterday. This morning I brought in another load of the remaining onions from the party barn & pick a couple of watermelons.

I've been working on the stone wall off & on... Maybe 20' to go, then I can finish lining it w/weed block & make start back-filling it. Still have a lot to do...

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Ernie, I wish I still had Tomatoes! Sounds like you had a successful season. Good Job Brother.

E

ErnieCopp

Fin,
Tomatoes are about the hardest thing to grow here. We have not had a night this summer that was not below 60 degrees, and it takes warm nights for the blossoms to set. I have had more than enough for us, but not as many to give away this year. But it has been a very good season for most things.

We had some Midwest weather yesterday, when a big damp flow of tropical air came up from the South. The Monsoon is usually one Mountain range east of us, but it was hard to breathe yesterday with the Humidity so high.

Ernie

M

Mr_Yan

Yesterday I harvested 10 pounds of peaches and tomatoes - remember I have only one small peach tree and 100 sq ft of garden at home.

Yesterday we had a line of storms pass to our north and we only got about 2 tenths of an inch of rain. But the line sent some cool air fast into the area - when out walking we started and it was 93 F but with one gust of wind we dropped 10 to 15 degrees air temp. It was like I stepped in front of an air conditioning vent.

Today I foliar fertilized my squash, peppers, tomatoes, and melons just as the sun was coming up.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finished the footer for the last 20' of the garden wall. I feel weak from the heat...

Still need to build up the courses & put up the weed block but I'm inching the ball forward. After that I will start cutting & removing the old landscape timbers before beginning the back-fill.

One of these days, I'm going to be finished with this phase & will start the asparagus bed...

Last edited:
E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
Better be careful working in that heat. We have had terribly humid weather, only been 90, but just so humid it is hard to breathe. My helper was here today and we finished cleaning up the Melon and tomato vines, several melons left over. He did most of that, while i was busy elsewhere, then we finished a tile topped outdoor table, and I was exhausted and sweat soaked, by 11:30.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
You're right about being careful, Ernie. I started early but the area is in the full sun, it was only 96 degrees, although it felt much hotter. I was going to quit, however I was close to the end & pushed it. I still don't feel right & Mrs Ranch is still pissed at me... at least I don't have to cook tonight as we are having leftovers.

M

Mr_Yan

It's amazing how much working in the heat or being out on the water will take out of you. I'll be working on my lawn tonight by headlamp and flood light to avoid the heat and have the kids out of the way.

I'm also noticing how much shorter the days are getting again - nearing the fall equinox.

E

ErnieCopp

You sound like me. Once i start something, i really want to get it done before i stop. That was beneficial when i was younger, but drawbacks to it now, for sure.

We have had three months of 80 degrees or lower, so this extra 12 degrees and the unusual humidty we have had the last five days have been difficult to adjust to.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finished building up the courses to basically finish the garden wall & then did 30' of the weed block liner & cap stones... A little over 50- to go & then I'll start cutting up the 'old' landscape timber perimeter.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I finally finish the garden wall, including the weed block liner & the cap stones!!! Man, am I glad that part is done, it was hard on my back...

When the weather settles down, I need to spray Round Up so the weeds & grass have time to die off before starting the back-fill. In the mean time, I'm can start cutting the old timbers.

R

Rolex

You did a really beautiful and very professional job, but it still won't keep me out. :sneaky:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Thanks for the kind words Rolex! I'll be glad when its all done... still got a lot to do... here are my concept drawings that I started with:

Concept_1.jpg Concept_2.jpg Concept_3.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cut the grass yesterday. Watered the hanging baskets, then picked 4 more watermelons & 11 big japs for tonight's side dish (made bacon wrapped stuffed peppers).

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Put up the seeds that have been drying for next year. Then started cleaning up the grass in the garden in preparation for the fall garden (still got some left to do)...

Time to start planning...

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Not so much garden but lawn work, need to stop by Southern States today and get some grass seed for the lawn. It's about time to start spreading seed.

S

Slowngreen

GREAT job on that wall WR! Looks 100% perfect.

Have fun spreading your seed Mike :smuggrin:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Thanks. Finished cleaning the garden this morning. Suppose to have a good chance of rain the next 3 days... we'll see.