• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I hear you whistech. It's 0945 & it's already 95 out there... all I planned for today was to get everything watered & I just finished. I'm soaked... Guess I'll get cleaned up, then go to town for a haircut & another load of concrete.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finish cutting up the tree limbs in the garden & then burned them. Also finished cleaning the bean trellis.

Pick some japs (they were on the small size) & made stuffed japs for dinner (cream cheese & colby-jack seasoned w/taco seasoning, then wrapped in ham).

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Mr. Ranch, I would like to pick your brain about starting fall vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage. Do you start your seeds in potting soil or do you direct sow them in the garden? When do you start your seeds? Thanks for the help.

E

ErnieCopp

I watched it rain on my garden this morning, real hard, and unexpected. It has been several months since we had a good rain, and will be several more probably before we have another one. every drop soaked in so no runoff except on the roof and pavement.

Been drifving 75 miles each way this week teaching the guy that bought my boat the details of the operation systems as he prepares to take it home to Seattle next month.

Ernie

M

Mr_Yan

Tomatoes are starting to come in. Brandy-Boy hybrid is earing a recurring place in my garden.

Line of T-storms went through this morning and my gunshy wimp of an alarm dog went off at 4:20 am. We had been almost two weeks with less than a quarter inch of rain. This round brought well over half an inch. Half an inch of rain is enough to fill my rain barrels and they were well overflowing.

(edit to add)Looking at kid toys and buckets sitting around the yard we got over two inches of rain

Last edited by a moderator:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Mr. Ranch, I would like to pick your brain about starting fall vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage. Do you start your seeds in potting soil or do you direct sow them in the garden? When do you start your seeds? Thanks for the help.

Right about now is the best time to get them started so they will be ready to transplant the end of September/early October. I will be starting ours next week in 3" pots filled with Miracle-Gro seed starting mix (Walmart has it for a good price).

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I didn't do anything in the garden, although I thought about it. Decided to clean & oil some of my weapons while listening to music of my younger days instead.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Bobby Rydell, Del Shannon, Bobby Vee, Dusty Springfield, Lou Christie, Skeeter Davis, Gary Lewis & The Playboys, Jay & The Americans, The Hollies, etc. Great times & great music, life was much simpler back then.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

I went up to the community garden this AM - wanted to do it early before it warmed up. I picked what I think are the last of my pole beans, some beets, and tomatoes. I also sowed some purple top turnips where I had bush beans in my raised bed.

We are currently at 75 F and the dew point according to the NWS is 73 F. Forecast calls for 85 F and the radar shows a strong line of T storms moving this way.

I think the pole beans are done for the season. The quality and quantity of the bean is greatly decreasing and the heavy twine I made it out of is starting to break. Time to use child labor and have my daughter start turnips, mustard, and beets in soil cubes.

Couple mile stones were hit this week:
My little garden has surpassed 100 pounds of produce harvested this season.
Our community garden has just rolled over the one ton (2240 pounds ton) of food donated to the pantry this season.
Our community garden also rolled over the 10 ton mark for total food donated since we started in 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
"Bobby Rydell, Del Shannon, Bobby Vee, Dusty Springfield, Lou Christie, Skeeter Davis, Gary Lewis & The Playboys, Jay & The Americans, The Hollies, etc. Great times & great music, life was much simpler back then."

Mr. Ranch, that was my kind of music too. Now I listen to mostly old country music.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the layout (stakes & guidelines) of the actual asparagus bed this morning & dug the short trench to run the irrigation line to the exact spot I want it. Then watered all the trees & flowerbeds as it is really hot, too hot to even sit on the back porch right now (almost 113 here)...

Temp_082314.jpg

E

ErnieCopp

Slim Pickings nere. Okra got away from me and big 8 inch pods are bending some of the six foot plants over, but i managed to find enough small ones for one more batch. Since i last picked all Zukes that were big enough last week, i found ten this morning that 3 inch X 16" or so.

Too bad that everything does not grow that fast. i found enough small ones for the kitchen, and still quite a few blooms. Tomatoes are done, but they did so poorly this year the store bought tomatoes taste and look better than mine do. Pulled a few carrots from the earth boxes, but am not as happy with the boxes as i thought i would be. Table high is nice, but production just a fraction of what would grow in the ground with less water and time.

Figs are getting so sweet the bees are swarming them, and when i am done with those, all i will have left are Jap persimmons until some citrus ccomes in.

Perfect weather here but a big earthquake last night up North, so a lot of those folks will be packing up and leaving. That always happens after an earthquake, but others keep dribbling in, so no end to the traffic jjams in sight.

Ernie

M

Mr_Yan

Not in the garden but I walked into my local home brew store and the guy at the counter was cutting fresh hops cones off bines. Anyone here grow hops? I want to but can't figure out where to put them.

E

ErnieCopp

I never grew any but there was a big field of them down the road from my place in Idaho, and they grow about twelve feet tall but do not take up much area on the ground. if you have a sunny spot where you could hang some string from your roof or something, you could grow a lot of them wiht a small footprint.

Bonners Ferry is at 48 degrees, thirty minutes North Latitude, so they should grow where you live. We only had about 100 frost free days.
The plants are cut down to the ground when they are harvested, but regrow from the roots each Spring. The vines grow several inches a day/

The hops were dried artificially, but that should not be too hard.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Got started early & finished the stone perimeter wall (~ 6') behind the garden & started on the actual asparagus bed' base (~ 12'). It's going to take a while as the heat is taking its toll on my stamina.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Planted some spinach for hopefully some fall harvesting. Here's to hoping they turn out better than the spring that basically bolted as soon as they popped up.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Had to take all our hummingbird feeders down because the wild bees 'discovered' them - there were just a few yesterday but they were here in force this morning. The flowers have stopped blooming due to the heat & the bees are forced to find alternative sources of nectar. Needless to say, the hummers are not happy...

Came home from shopping & found the side yard flooded... There has been so much ground shrinkage that I got a busted irrigation pipe. GRRRR. Dug it up & then shut the water supply off, I'll do the repair in the AM. Checked all the lines to see if there were any other breaks, but this appears to be the only one.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
All I did was fix the broken irrigation pipe. Decided I rather cook a meal to celebrate the cooler temps, LOL!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Turned the irrigation system back on to check for leaks after repairs (good to go) & then watered everything.

Picked the rest of the jalapenos. Start slicing & dicing them as I want to make some more relish out of them.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
It's been raining about once a week or more here the last couple of weeks. Grassing is growing like a weed now. Cut it this morning as we've got a 50% chance of rain today and 70% chance tomorrow.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Continued slicing & dicing the remaining jalapenos for relish & then canned them up. Ended up with 8 pints. Yes, I was really scraping for jars & lids, LOL!!!

Last edited: