• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

M

Mr_Yan

Mine fell asleep on the couch last night while sitting like a teddy-bear. He stayed like that for over an hour. Life is rough.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Process green beans (blanch & bag). We now have enough to last us until next year so the rest will be given away.

Harvest soybeans. I'll process them tomorrow.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Filled and planted the medium herb pot on the deck - basil, rosemary, parsley

Daughter went to summer camp today and they had ax throwing as an activity. We're not in Illinois anymore.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Harvested more tomatoes, green peppers & soybeans. Prepped the tomatoes for roasting & while they were in the oven, I started processing the soybeans from today & yesterday. Busy day!!!

Received another 0.36" of rain today.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Sun and little wind. High of 88. Instant read thermometer reads 112.8 F in the sun next to my grill - solar heating of the metal probe.

Daughter churned butter at the history re-enactment camp today.

Kids played at the local splash pad today.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Before I went shopping, I readied a tub of stuff (tomatoes, cucumbers & green peppers) & bags of green beans for our mail lady. After work, she passes stuff out to the old people on her route that are kind of home bound.

Harvest_062819.jpg

After shopping, I diced up the green peppers, onions & jalapenos for (what I hope is the last batch) Picante sauce. Got it all canned & when I finished, this double batch made 12 quarts. These will be given to friends to enjoy.

Last_Batch_Picante_062819.jpg

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Sun and little wind. High of 88. Instant read thermometer reads 112.8 F in the sun next to my grill - solar heating of the metal probe.

Daughter churned butter at the history re-enactment camp today.

Kids played at the local splash pad today.

How's life in Michigan treating y'all so far?

M

Mr_Yan

How's life in Michigan treating y'all so far?

We're good. 50 minute drive to my brother's or dad's places. Getting the lay of the land easily. Slow getting plugged into community though.

We may have found a church and that's a funny story. First week was a failure with the church - they lost my 4 year old, at least 7 safety systems failed in the kid care. Second week we tried somewhere else, it's a newish church plant with about 300 total members. As we were walking in and speaking with the greaters at the door the pastor walked up and said "hey neighbor". Without knowing it the guy living nextdoor who I've spoken to a few times and our kids have played together is the lead / founding pastor.

Worst part of this move is the time change and daylight hours. We went from the eastern side of the Central time zone to the Western edge of the
Eastern time zone. There is 9 minutes real time difference between sun set here and where we were but an hour different on the clock. Sun set here 9:26 but where we were 8:35. And we're morning people.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the porch pots.

Harvested more green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers & green peppers this morning. Mrs. Ranch took them all up to the beauty shop & passed them around.

Also harvested all the remaining soybeans & will work on processing them today.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
The Bamboo update:

I planted this stuff Mar 2018, and it has gone nuts since then. We've had plenty of rain, and I've been giving it healthy doses of nitrogen fertilizer. Here recently, it has really hit its stride and has been putting out massive shoots. I think it'll be close to 30' tall by the end of the growing season this year. Some really cool looking stuff, it has a blue tint to it.

IMG_1799.JPGIMG_1801.JPG

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Rainy here this morning, 1.78" thus far.

Vacuum-packed the soybeans this morning (17 pounds total).

Start the begining-of-the-month chores.

Ordered a new stainless steel faucet for the Jacuzzi.

Made pizza dough & sauce for supper tonight.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cut the grass before it rains again... it was bad, grass clumps everywhere.

Fed the cattle

Finish the begining-of-the-month chores.

Put up a new seed block for the birds.

Made stuffed jalapenos to go with our supper.

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
7-1-19 mowed yard an ditches pulled grass from around the oak trees . watered the garden .. picked peppers .. butternut squash just keeps on giving . went to HEB early to avoid the rush ..

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Rained another 0.33" around 1200 hrs.

Cleaned & refilled the hummingbird feeders.

Cleaned & refilled the wasp traps.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Had to have a new door handle put on passenger side of truck as someone tried breaking into it last week while in Sugarland.Coons continue to play havoc on my better tomatoes. I shot my third snake yesterday in two days.They love my cool porch. I hate stepping on them.

M

Mr_Yan

Put in cords for the tomatoes to climb.
Put in stings for the pole beans to climb.
Put in new troughs for the hydroponics and hung lights over them.
Sorted though, weeded out, and cleaned up my seed collection - it now fits in one plastic ammo can / field box.
Bought a 10x10 canopy tent.
Had the kids splashing in a kiddy pool in the shade of the canopy tent.

Mounted a sprinkler to the top center of the canopy tent pointing down as a shower for the kids to play in.

88 F and full sun today.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Ya'll meet "Tom" or "Thomas" . "Tom" HAD a twin brother name "Titus" . They are my goofy neighbors free range turkey. "Titus" was involved in a violent accident two years ago with my "Glock" .

I have had a heart to heart discussion with my neighbor about letting his animals roam around folks property tearing up our garden.

1 st photo is "Tom". "Tom" is currently in my back yard with his little lady friend there.

2 nd photo is " Glock" LOL!!

65853275_2404936956230471_6293688579835035648_n.jpg9860_1016249245099256_1345418762008272385_n.jpg