• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha grilling tonight?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I'm back now. Phil had a pretty good sendoff (full military funeral). Rest in peace my friend, we'll see you on the other side.

Now, let get back to cooking...

E

ErnieCopp

It has slowed down while you were away, so good to have you back online,
Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Thanks guys... I have been seriously bummed the last few days. I got to see his kids again & met all of his grand-kids.

I also got to see pictures of him & his family that I never saw before & to share with his kin some of our 'good times' together. Phil was a close friend to say the least...

Supper tonight is going to be rather meager... just a pot of okra gumbo/rice & bread. But I told the wife that she is going to eat ribs tomorrow & that I was also going to start on my cheese (& that it was not open for discussion).

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Didn't grill but made what my wife and I call slop(because it looks like slop):D. Basically it is rice, chicken, okra, onions and some spices. slop.JPG

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I was guessing...

Well the ribs are thaw out, I'll season them up in a little while... I'm currently bring the temperature of the milk up to 100 degrees for the cheese so I can add the culture.

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
I think my wife uses a Tomato base, not chopped Tomatoes if that make sense...And I don't have to mention it but, we put corn it in as well...:D

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Everything tastes better with bacon & corn in it!!!

I don't know where I saw it, but I remember someone grilled bacon-wrapped corn-on the-cobs & they looked pretty darn good... gonna have to try that one of these days!!!

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Last night I grilled a backstrap from a spike (whitetail) I shot last year. I cut the BS in half, added some light seasoning (fiesta steak seasoning) and wrapped both pieces in bacon. Got the gas grill going steady at 350 and cooked for 10 minutes on each side (20 min total). Pulled it off, wrapped in foil and let it sit for 20 minutes and then cut into a beautiful, medium cooked piece of venison.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Here was our supper for tonight... smoked ribs (on the kettle), baked potatoes, okra gumbo & roasted okra. Ribs where excellent (excuse my modesty)!

Supper_1.jpg

Supper_3.jpg

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Last night I grilled a backstrap from a spike (whitetail) I shot last year. I cut the BS in half, added some light seasoning (fiesta steak seasoning) and wrapped both pieces in bacon. Got the gas grill going steady at 350 and cooked for 10 minutes on each side (20 min total). Pulled it off, wrapped in foil and let it sit for 20 minutes and then cut into a beautiful, medium cooked piece of venison.

Perfectly cooked!! Looks awesome!

R

Rolex

Unbelievable. YOUR dinners are an art form. Mine require a Hazmat team to dispose of the leftovers.

M

Mr_Yan

Tonight was a lazy night - meatloaf burgers on the kettle with braised kale and some just picked cherokee purple tomatoes on the side.

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Tonight' menu: Smoked brisket, corn, baked potatoes & homemade garlic bread...

Tomorrow I will be smoking a brisket, and I am also going to try out the bacon wrapped CORN!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
POST PICTURES & A REVIEW!!!

I'm probably going to smoke some drumsticks in the kettle tomorrow... I have a beautiful 2" sirloin with baked potatoes & corn set for Monday.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Decided to save the drumsticks for a later date... While at the store today, they had some nice whole chickens (4-5 lbs) for 77 cents/lb. so I stocked up.

Just put 2 chicken halves in the kettle, along with 2 baked potatoes. Guess we'll throw a salad together to round it off... to hot/humid to mess around here.

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
That sounds good, but pity the poor chicken farmers. at that price. I had an uncle in NW Arkansas that had a feed store, and he got rich after WW2, furnishing the feed and baby chickens to farmers that would raise them on shares, but does not sound that lucrative now.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Ernie, I have no idea how much it costs to raise a pound of chicken meat... A good neighbor told me a few years ago that it cost 18 cents/lb, although I have no idea what it costs nowadays & he maintains 2500+ to this day. I only have personal knowledge of our costs raising beef & it is always challenging chasing the protein/lb curve, although we serve a different segment of the supply chain.

I only hope that that the chicken guys/gals are making money... but at 77 cents/lb, I bought 25 of them & shoved them into the freezer.