• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Tilled, fertilized & formed the rows for the potatoes, leeks & another 2 bundles of onions (the fall onions rotted from all the rain). Weather permitting, I'll plant the onions & leeks tomorrow.

Fed the cattle.

Made chicken fajitas, ranch rice & stuffed jalapenos for supper.

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
got about half of garden tilled an you can guess what happened heard the thunder an right away it started raining
I have yellow squash . cajun bell peppers . zucchini . strawberry plants . sweet 100 tomatoes heat master tomatoes .
a new to me large ( 3 lb. ) tomatoes name steakhouse . celebrity tomatoes . ready to plant have to go get some epsom salts . to put in the hole for the tomatoes . forgot to add broccoli . multiplying onions . red potatoes need to get some ash to powder the potatoes with

please enough rain already

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
I have wire cages that I wrap with clear plastic an pin same with tooth picks to protect the tomatoes from freezing after the cold weather is past I pull the plastic off gets me kinda a lil head start on the growing season

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's 57 & raining again (sigh)... Guess I'll replace the main house's guest bathroom sink faucet today.

Last edited:
  • Up Vote
Reactions: ksk
K

ksk

Tilled, fertilized & formed the rows for the potatoes, leeks & another 2 bundles of onions (the fall onions rotted from all the rain). Weather permitting, I'll plant the onions & leeks tomorrow.

Fed the cattle.

Made chicken fajitas, ranch rice & stuffed jalapenos for supper.
Ranch you got me to thinking about my onions as we don't live very far from each other.I pulled some and they seem ok. This additional rain might not be helpful.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's 66 degrees & still drizzling here, so no outside work. Yesterday's rain totaled 1.19".

Made bread.

Watered everything in the greenhouse.

Put out another suet block for the birds.

Replaced another faucet today (Mrs. Ranch's side in the master bath's vanity). 3 down & 1 to go....

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I planted these knockout roses last year, and they grew a bunch over the winter. Should I trim them back like you would an older rose or let them go this year?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I was going to attempt planting the leeks & onions today, but as soon as I got motivated it started to rain again (sigh). I guess it's on to Plan B, which is to install the last bathroom sink faucet.

Looks like I'll have to move the hanging baskets back into the greenhouse this weekend as as the forecast for Sunday, Monday & Tuesday shows freezing temperatures here...

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

10 F when I left for work. We got up to the mid twenties today.

Spent 20 minutes breaking ice with a ice scraper and square garden shovel in my alley today. I'm at the downhill side and the uphill end of the block is about 30' higher in elevation.

Yesterday my neighbor tried to make the olympic bobsled team in her GMC Envoy. She slid about 100 feet and lodged at a 45 degree angle to the path with both the front driver side and the rear passenger side corners in snow piles. She then threw a belt so the alternator failed and the battery died and blew out what they think (hope) to be the power steering. Tow truck / wrecker had to go fishing and pull the SUV out with the winch from 150 feet away.

• Up Vote

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping. HEB had pork butts & whole loins on sale for $1 per pound so I grabbed 2 big loins... When I got home I cut 16 chops 1 1/2" thick & vacuum packed them. All the remaining loins then went into a sweet curing brine (about 18 days) for smoked Canadian bacon.

Ordered a set if tires for Mrs. Ranch's Jeep.

Fed the cattle.

Burned the trash.

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
can't work in garden to much rain .. thinking about a Craw fish farm just need to build the berms have a good start with all the rain.. oh well could be worse
thankful I can still be around an able to still make choices

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finally got the leeks & onions planted.

Fed the cattle.

Moved the hanging baskets back into the greenhouse as we are going to be below freezing for the next 3 nights.

Put the covers back on the hose faucets.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Re-hung a window valance in the kid's room.
Replaced a broken towel hook in the kid's room.
Fixed a 3-way switched circuit powering two outlets for the under cabinet lighting.
Started to install under cabinet lighting using LED puck lights.

Two more cabinets of lighting to install and I have to cleanup and finalize the wiring.

K

ksk

Wife bought me a Pit Boss Pellet smoker for Christmas.I ordered it last week and it came in yesterday.Spent several hours putting it together and the first burn out.Anxious to start cooking.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's 47 degrees with a brisk north wind here...

Made pizza dough & sauce for tonight's supper.

Start the begining-of-the-month chores...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's 30 degrees here with a brisk north wind which should help dry out the garden. Tonight will be colder (forecasted to be 26)... UPDATE: It never got above 34 degrees today.

Made bread.

Continued doing the begining-of-the-month chores. Afterwards Dieter & I continued watching 'The Sopranos'.

Last edited:
  • Up Vote
K

ksk

It's 30 degrees here with a brisk north wind which should help dry out the garden. Tonight will be colder (forecasted to be 26)...
My plans to go to town has changed. May try tomorrow,My old bones don't take kindly to the cold.

M

Mr_Yan

Wool socks, boots, jeans, turtle-neck, button down shirt, typical winter jacket, wool hat, gloves.

-5 F when I left for work. Windchill drove it to about -25 F. Topped out around 8 F today.

Should warm up to the 40s by the weekend.

Another pickup got stuck in the alley next to my house last night. "Weird" that my little Kia Rio can go where these four wheel drive trucks can't go. These idiots need to learn to drive.

• Up Vote