• Join Home Gardening Forum

How to make Canadian Bacon & Buckboard Bacon

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b

Make sure you put the meat in either 2 gallon 'Ziploc' bags or a non-reactive pot (Stainless Steel)...

For every 1 gallon of water, add:

1/2 Cup Kosher salt
1 Cup granulated sugar
1 Cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon #1 pink salt cure

NOTE: You can add any other seasonings such as onion or garlic if you like to the brine, this is just the basic sweet cure brine.

Stir thoroughly until clear amber color, pour over meat, ensuring that the meat is covered. You can also inject it on thick cuts if necessary to cure from inside-out as well as outside-in.

Weight down with a partially filled 1 gal. 'Ziploc' bag(s) of water to keep meat immersed in the cure .

Curing times vary with meat, but generally I do Canadian & Buckboard bacon 14 days. The cure will penetrate the meat about 1/4" per day on average...

After 14 days, rinse the meat off & then put it in a new 'Ziploc' bag or a large pot filled with fresh water for about 12-24 hrs in the refrigerator (changing the water once)... This will alleviate any 'salty' taste).

After that, pat the meat dry & tie them up in butcher string (to help keep them shaped). Then, if you like, brush with honey or maple syrup & roll them in cracked pepper. Now put the meat on a wire rack/tray (uncovered) in the refrigerator for 24 hrs to allow the meat to dry some. You are then ready to smoke.

I usually smoke them at 225 degrees until they hit an internal temperature of 165-170, which normally takes about 4 1/2 hrs. I also recommend that you put a pan of water under the meat to keep it moist (especially with pork loins).

When done, remove them from the heat & let them cool... Then put them in the refrigerator overnight before slicing.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Enjoy!!!

Canadian_Bacon_Sliced.jpg

Buckboard_Bacon.jpg

Buckboard_Bacon_Sliced.jpg

M

majorcatfish

have you ever tried using apple wood and hickory during the smoking?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I normally use apple wood when smoking pork stuff but I'm currently out of it so I used what I have on hand.

M

majorcatfish

do you trim off the silver skin off the loins before brining?

M

majorcatfish

the pork shoulders you trim off the fat cap?
bone in or boneless....?
have you ever tried breaking it down and removing the fat/connective tissue and then brining it?

looking for something new to do with all the boston butts in the freezer, besides pulled pork, now dont get me wrong love bbq...