• Join Home Gardening Forum

Free Okra Seed For Next Year

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
If anybody wants to try growing Clemson Spineless Okra next year, I have some seeds to spare. PM me your name & address & I'll mail you some.

Clemson Spineless Okra is the most popular variety on the market. The vigorous, 4-ft. high plants produce an abundance of dark green, grooved pods without spines. Best picked when 2.5 to 3" long while still tender. Pods are excellent for use in soups, stews and relishes.

GARDEN HINTS: Soak seed in warm water overnight to speed germination.

Clemson.jpg

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
Okra has never been part of my culture, and i do not know of a single relative of mine that has ever used or served it. I have tasted it a couple of times, far in the past, and would like to try it. Just a few seeds, please, as I will only plant a couple of hills, few seeds in each hill and then thin to two plants.

Thanks,
Ernie

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
I will proably need some of those, as the only way i remember it is fried. I think Okra is like Grits, there was a very sharp line drawn somewhere below the Mason Dixon line, and people north of that line never used much of either, but both are good.

Ernie

M

Mr_Yan

I'm tempted to give it a try. How much space do the plants require? I see burpee states thin to 6" with 16" rows.