• Join Home Gardening Forum

Food vacuum sealers

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Looking to purchase a vacuum sealer and wanted to get some opinions if anyone here has used them?

I've seen many on Amazon and the commercials for FoodSaver brand but wasn't sure what is a good brand to go with.

Any suggestions?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
My suggestion is to NOT get a FoodSaver. We've had 2 of the higher-end models & they lasted maybe 2 yrs. In addition, the bag seals have a tendency to leak, which defeats the purpose of vacuum packing...

The last time we bought one, we got the Cabela's CG-15 & it's on year 6... it will suck the chrome of a trailer hitch. Unfortunately Carbela's came out with 'new' models, which don't sound as heavy duty. The good news is that you can still get one from the company that originally manufactured them AND from Amazon no less!!!

Weston 65-0201 Pro-2300 Vacuum Sealer, Silver

Whatever you decide, spend the money & get a good one... food is too expensive to waste.

M

Mr_Yan

Last year I was given a FoodSaver 3200. I like it and have used it several times. I have had a few bag seals fail as w_r_ranch pointed out. Maybe one seal in twenty after it was frozen. I have had to re-do a few seals if I was moving too fast and not being careful.

Before you pull the trigger on a purchase like this check bag prices around you. Best deal I have found is at Bed Bath and Beyond if I have a coupon. You can also reuse many bags if you wash them. I get about 3 uses out of pre-made bags.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Thanks guys for the replies. Was hoping to spend around $200 or so but that Weston looks pretty serious and having your endorsement on it Sam really makes it easier to consider purchasing. Like you said, food isn't cheap and I don't want to be throwing money away on wasted food or a junk vacuum.

@Mr_Yan you make a good point about getting bags. I'd probably buy online but having local places to bags would be a nice addition as well. I'm going check around today.

M

Mr_Yan

We found that out freezer turns over quickly and the vac seal bags are not worth it for most things. We only use it when we find a really good deal on meat and stock up. That said I don't butcher livestock or hunt.

The vac sealer also forced us to think about how we plan on using the food well ahead of time. Some typical uses around our home:
  • ground beast in 1 lb or 3 lb blocks
  • stew meat in 2 lb blocks (what our beef stew calls for)
  • chicken cubed for kabobs
  • shredded chicken - boil the boneless skinless breasts then shred while still hot with a stand mixer, this is perfect for easy pot pies, chicken salad, and tacos
  • three or four chicken leg quarters in a gallon size bag to be the meat base for our weekly bean soup
Most of the time we still use basic zipper bags. We stay on top of the freezer inventory though and don't find many surprises in the bottom. The best way we have for this is a check list - check off the box of what you pull when you pull it.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
@Mr_Yan right now the wife has been using plastic saran wrap to first wrap the meat/chicken then placing it in plastic bags. Seems to be working for now.

I was just talking with her last night about buying one like Sam suggests but just want to make sure it's going to be of use and used as well as save us money.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
You'll be surprised at how much you will use it... You'll be able to take advantage of bulk meat sales (whole pork loins, whole sections of beef rib-eyes, strip steaks, etc) & cut your own steaks/chops to exactly the thickness you want. You can use it in lieu of canning (we freeze spaghetti sauce, fresh berries, pears & pecans (as well as many of our garden vegetables) in ready-to-use portions as pictured below. BTW, the Brussel Sprouts are from Feb. 2012.

VacPac.jpg

You can also cook larger meals & then package/freeze portions for later (just drop the bags in boiling water on especially hectic days & enjoy a real meal). All without the risk of 'freezer burn' or them nasty tasting ice crystals ruining the original meal's taste. We have eggplant parmigiana from 2 yrs ago that tastes like it was just made. Same goes for any type of soup, stew, chili, etc.

Last edited: