• Join Home Gardening Forum

Food storage - especially potatoes

M

Mr_Yan

I'll just start with this, so far my ability to store about any type of food has sucked.

The most recent example of this was a bag of Yukon gold potatoes that went bad in my basement. Most of the basement smelled like death and I could not find the source for several days. It was nasty. Part of this problem was we were lazy and didn't remove the spuds from the plastic bag we bought them in - or my wife didn't know to remove them.

What is a good way to store potatoes?

My basement swings in temp from the lower 50s F in the early spring to almost 70F by lat summer. Usually it is humid in the basement too.

I've read about putting potatoes in cardboard boxes with shredded paper mixed in around and over them. I tried that once but the bottom of the box got wet.

Over this winter I had some sweet potatoes rot in the basement too and they were a slimy mess and very good fruit fly breeders.

Should I store sweet potatoes the same as real potatoes?

We also buy dry goods in bulk (beans, flour, rice, pasta, etc.) I've been storing these in 5 gallon buckets lately. If I use good lids on the bucket can I store them in the humid basement? Or am I better off storing them upstairs where it can get rather warm but dry?

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I'm not a food stocker, and I know I should, but I've always heard in the past the best way to store potatoes is in box or crate with a layer of straw and/or newspaper between each one. I think I've even heard of people storing them in sand.

@Lost in mn and @w_r_ranch are both "preppers" if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure they probably have a lot better tips than I.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Mr. Yan, If you are storing bulk beans and rice in 5-gallon buckets, you need to blend in food grade, diatamaceous earth to help guard against weevils and other pests (these can already be present in these items when you buy them.) Store them in a dry, cool place. When you are ready to eat them, you can simply wash the diatamacious earth off. It also won't hurt for humans to ingest it. I have a neighbor who is Mormon and they do a lot of food storage. This is how she stores these dry goods. You can also store sugar in the five gallon pails, without diatamaceous earth; as long as the pails are sealed. She puts her sugar inside a food grade plastic bag that is inside the pail. Sugar, honey, etc. are some of the food stuffs that basically last forever. She freezes her flour, corn meal and yeast in a large freezer. Hope this helps.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
'Yukon Golds' do not store well, which is why I grow 'Red Pontiacs'.

Conditions are important (I will repeat this). Store potatoes in in a cool, dry, dark location that is well ventilated. Also, never wash them until you are going to use them. In addition, a willow basket, burlap bag or a crate w/open slats can be used for storage as these will still allow for ventilation...

Remember, a cool, dry, dark location that is well ventilated is the key to storing any root vegetable. Good luck.

E

ErnieCopp

It may be too much trouble for potatoes, but i could keep apples in near perfect condition until March (In Idaho) by wrapping each one in a piece of newspaper and putting in a box or tub in the Cellar. Never froze down there, even in the coldest weather. Water Pressure tank was also in there so that may have added some warmth in the winter and some cooling in the summer.
Ernie

M

Mr_Yan

Thanks guys.

You mention ventilation with potatoes. Would round wooden bushel baskets provide for enough ventilation? They have solid sides but a wide open top. I ask this because there is a stack of them for sale at a dollar a piece at the grocery store we usually go to.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I imagine they might... You still need to provide sufficient additional air movement to rid your cellar of moisture/humidity.