72 Smaller (about 4 inch) cucumbers
10 Cups water
6 Cups white vinegar
12 Tablespoons pickling salt
15 Tablespoons dill seed
2 Tablespoon mustard seed
18 Cloves garlic
6 Grape leaves

Rinse cucumbers, remove stems and cut off a small slice from each end (do not boil the cucumbers).

Combine water, vinegar and salt in large kettle. Boil the mixture.

Pack the cukes somewhat loosely into quart jars. Be sure to leave one-half inch of space at the top of the jar.

Add 6 heads of dill or 2 1/2 tablespoons dill seed to each jar. Also toss in 1 teaspoon of mustard seed along with 3 cloves of garlic. Now pour the boiling hot brine into the packed jars. Don't forget to leave the one-half inch of head-space at the top of jar.

Add 1 grape leaf to each jar (this helps to keep them crisp). Wipe rims, put on and adjust lids.

Using boiling-water canning, process for 10 minutes (remember, water should cover the lids/rings by 1 inch & that the process time starts when a rolling boil begins). Remove jars from canner. Let cool in rack.

You will want the brine to soak into the cukes for at least a week before using. This should make about 6 quart jars. Enjoy!!!

Dill_Pickles.jpg

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Mr. Ranch, those dill pickles look delicious! Thanks for posting the recipe and now the question: Do you have a bread and butter pickle recipe you can post? I tried the Ball bread and butter mix to pickle bread and butter pickles and they were absolutely horrible.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Yeah, we do. Actually it's Mrs Ranch's... I'll ask her to post it up. They're pretty good, although I'm not a big 'sweet pickle' fan, I will say that they are good on a toasted cheese sandwich.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
I have to make my dill pickles in small batches since I'm limited for production and space so I use this recipe for brine:

Two cups water
One cup vinegar
3 tbs canning salt

This will fill about 2 quart jars that are packed tight with pretty much anything you want to pickle. If I'm using cukes I normally add garlic and dill and jalapenos or habaneros. I pickled a bunch of carrots this spring and I found that I like those just as well at the cukes.

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
Dang this makes me miss moms pickles and oddly those nasty purple pickled beets and eggs lol.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
I haven't tried beets since I was a kid - hated em then, I can't imagine much has changed. lol

M

majorcatfish

yup mom always over cooked asparagus to mush, boiled dry brussel sprouts and still served them, but with time and age love them now
same with beets..
anyway if you like a really good dill pickle.. make fermented dill pickles
it's from alton brown good eats series.shame they have a short shelf life
heres the link to the video on how to make them..
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/dill-pickles-recipe.html
oh my they are so good with a sandwich

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Why do some people use apple cider vinegar for pickles/jalepenos and others use white vinegar?