• Join Home Gardening Forum

Best kitchen knife sharpener

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
So the wife and I have two kitchen knife sets, one set is a non-serrated edge that is very sharp. They are just awesome. The other is a serrated edge knife set that used to work very well but have long since lost their edge and doesn't so much cutting anymore but more mutilates whatever you're trying to cut.

That said we're looking for kitchen knife sharpener that will keep our nice set, nice and maybe bring back to life our serrated knife set too or get second sharpener for the serrated blades.

The two I've started eying at the moment is the KitchenIQ sharpener which is a manual sharpener and another is the Presto electric sharpener, both seem to receive a ton of positive reviews.

I know we've got some kitchen people here (looking at your Sam :D ) and wanted to see what others thought!

Thanks.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
This is the one we have:

Chef's Choice 130 Diamond Hone 3-Stage Professional Knife Sharpener, White

E

ErnieCopp

I have only had a few serrated blades, and have had pretty good luck just from sharpening them on the flat side. Is that the proper way or is there a special sharpener that will sharpen both sides. Of course you could use the proper size round file and do them one at a time.

I do like to keep my tools sharp, and do a good job of that, but was never able to put the edge on a blade my Father could. Whether it was an axe or a straight bladed razor, they were both as sharp as.... well, razors. I started shaving when i was fourteen with one of his old straight razors, and he would touch it up for me once in a while. But wien i left home at 15, i had to switch to safety razors, because i could not keep it sharp enough. I wonder what he would have thought if he saw someone stick his best razor in an electric sharpener? lol.

Ernie

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Dang Sam that's a nice sharpener, looks like something you'd see in a restaurant! Might be a bit over kill for my needs though.

@ErnieCopp - not to get off topic but I've been shaving using safety razors for the last few years myself and certainly love shaving with them compared to the cartridge razors I used to use.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
M

Mr_Yan

I use a stone for all my blades except the serrated bread knife. I only have one serrated knife in the house. I hate those blades after I saw the inside of my own knuckle because of one.

I plan on taking the bread knife to be professionally sharpened soon.

My dad has one like what Sam linked to and has had trouble with it sharpening serrated knifes. This is a case where if the tool said it will sharpen serrated blades I would blame the user.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Serrated blades are done only on 'station 3' which is the leather stropping wheel. per the directions. I have 2 serrated knives (a 6" for tomatoes & a 12" bread knife).