• Join Home Gardening Forum

WR's 2017 Spring Garden

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
After the potatoes are harvested, I'll utilize that space for them... okra likes HOT weather & doesn't require much time to produce pods.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Yesterday I got my wheelbarrow & combined topsoil, peat & perlite into my seed starting mix in the garage. Today I started filling the 3" pots for the seed flats. Six flats down, six to go... The tomato, eggplant, tomatillo & pepper seeds will be planted on Jan. 31st (& moved into the greenhouse to germinate), so they should be ready to transplant into the garden about Mar. 15th. Everything else will be direct seeded.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Today is 'Seed Starting Day'... The jalapenos, serranos, eggplants, tomatillos & both varieties of tomatoes are now officially started. Everything else will be direct seeded in mid-March, with the exception of the potatoes which will be planted in a few weeks.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The tomatillos & both varieties of tomatoes sprouted on Feb. 6th and the jalapenos, serranos & eggplants came up on Feb. 8th... We are off to a good start!!!

A couple of days ago I fabricated 7 stands for '2-sided yellow sticky traps' & put them in the greenhouse in the advent that those dang white flies again show up this year.

Also, the weeper hose that I have been using to irrigate the asparagus bed has become more trouble than they are worth (they just don't last here), so I decided to redo it using PVC pipe & 10 brass spray heads. I still need to finish the last section & get it installed...

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I finally got the new irrigation section installed in the asparagus bed last week...

I cut the seed potatoes & applied powdered sulfur to them this morning. We are suppose to have 5 good days here (starting tomorrow) & I want to get them planted ASAP. With 95 'seeds', I expect to harvest about 400 lbs. around the beginning of June.

Potatoes_Ready_022017.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Planted the potatoes.

Harvested enough asparagus to go with tonight's supper.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The ground is pretty wet, so weeding the garden has been a challenge... We are harvesting asparagus every other day now, radishes too. The seed flats in the greenhouse are doing well & should be ready to transplant in a week or two (weather permitting)... Everything currently in the ground is doing very well due to moderate temperatures & the rain this spring.

Seedlings_030917.jpg

Potatoes_030917.jpg

Onions_030917.jpg

Radish_030917.jpg

Cilantro_030917.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Sorry, I plum forgot to take a picture of the asparagus bed... Next time.

Today I planted the green beans & put the inoculate on them. I then planted the jalapenos, serranos, eggplants & tomatillos. Here's a picture & also one of the potatoes & onions.

Garden_Started_040117.jpg

Potatoes_Onions_040117.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Thank you whistech!!!

Today I managed to plant the following seed: butternut, acorn & spaghetti squashes, cucumbers, soybeans & garbanzo beans. it was a lot of bending over & my back said 'enough', so I will do the tomato transplants tomorrow.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Wednesday was too windy to plant (I didn't want the tomatoes to get beat-up), so I planted & tied them up yesterday morning.

I then watered the entire garden & asparagus bed.

Next up will be to order 2 loads of shredded pine bark mulch (28 yards) & plant the melons on April 15th.

Tomatoes1_040617.jpg

Tomatoes2_040617.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Soybeans are just starting to break ground this morning!!!

Soybeans_041017.jpg

Everything seems to be enjoying the rain showers this morning, especially the potatoes & onions.

Potatoes_-41017.jpg

Ordered 2 truckloads (28 cubic yards.) of the shredded pine bark mulch this morning. I expected it to be delivered in the next day or two, but they just delivered it so I can get started.

Garden_Mulch_041017.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Almost all the soybeans are up this morning.

The garbanzo beans are starting to break ground, as are the cucumbers.

K

ksk

Almost all the soybeans are up this morning.

The garbanzo beans are starting to break ground, as are the cucumbers.
Hey Ranch ! 2.1 rain over here.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
All of the spaghetti squash & cucumbers are now up... 2 of the 3 acorn & butternut squash mounds are up. I have 6 tomatillos forming already & a couple of tomatoes.

I'm still spreading the mulch... it's a pain in the back.

Spaghetti_Squash_041517.jpg

Cucumbers_041517.jpg

Acorn_Squash_041517.jpg

Butternut_Squash_041517.jpg

Tomatoes_041517.jpg

Tomatillos_041517.jpg

Garbanza_Beans_041517.jpg

Green_Beans_041517.jpg

K

ksk

First time in weeks it's dry enough to mow and I had to stop because of thunder/lightning.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Yep, it's pouring ďown herè (0.66" thus far). At least I got the cantaloupe in & mulched this morning.