• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha grilling tonight?

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Don't be shy y'all, lets make some TX BBQ Brisket. I've got this 9 lb beauty caked with dry rub and will put it on the pit early, early tomorrow morning. I've got some old growth river bottom pecan picked out to smoke this one with. Mmmmmm!

brisket.jpg
wood.jpg

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
BTW, I see this on TV all the time where these 'BBQ guys' use wet wood wrapped in foil to smoke meat with.

Don't do that. I can't think of a worse way to put smoke into a meat besides smoking with green wood.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Going to do the last of the dinosaur ribs for supper today. I'll smoke them over post oak & hickory for a couple of hours & then finish them in the oven (as I need to start tilling the potato area of the garden). I'll probably throw in some carrots, onions, potatoes & celery later in the afternoon...

Dinosaur_Ribs1_021915.jpg

For dessert I'm making an 'Old-Fashioned Bread Pudding'. I'm waiting for Mrs. Ranch to decide what kind of sauce she has a taste for...

Old_Fashioned_Bread_Pudding1_021915.jpg
OK, the dinosaur ribs are done smoking & are now in the roasting pan along with the beef stock & red wine. I cubed up a decent sized kohlrabi & threw that in as well. I'll toss in the rest of the veggies in about 90 minutes or so.

Dinosaur_Ribs2_021915.jpg

The bread pudding is baked & does it smell good!!! I'm fixing to start making the bourbon sauce.

Old_Fashioned_Bread_Pudding2_021915.jpg

The bourbon sauce is ready.

Bourbon_Sauce_021915.jpg

The veggies are almost ready, maybe another 15 minutes...

Dinosaur_Ribs3_021915.jpg

And it supper time!!!!

Supper_021915.jpg

Old_Fashioned_Bread_Pudding_Bourbon_Sauce_Finished.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
And the 'leftovers' are the basis for the beef/barley/vegetable soup. It will simmer for a few hours & then I'll add some shredded cabbage. Nothing like a hearty soup on a cold day!!!

BeefBarleyVegetableSoup_022015.jpg

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Dang those ribs look good!! Haven't done those in a while. Where can one find beef ribs that haven't been trimmed? Haven't seen that in many years.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I'm smoking a rack of ribs over post oak & apple wood.

Mrs. Ranch made a big bowl of potato salad for supper.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
WOW, Wollfman and W.R. Y'all need to get together and have a cook off. The other gardeners on this site will come and judge. I have the nephew for 10 days and he asked me if I could make some tuna salad for dinner. No grill necessary.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Started the curing process for homemade Canadian bacon. I made the brine by heating the following ingredients & then letting it cool while I trimmed a whole pork loin. I then cut the loin in half & put them in plastic storage bags & poured the cool brine in to cover them. They will need to sit in the brine for a couple of weeks (turning them daily) before they're ready.

Canadian Bacon Brine Recipe
1 Gallon of water
1 Cup granulated sugar
3/4 Cup of kosher salt
1 Cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cure #1
1 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs onion powder
2 Tbs molasses (mild flavor)​

I also want to turn another whole brisket into pastrami (same process but a different brine recipe)... I'll get that going tomorrow.

When they are all ready, I will do a really low temperature smoke (like I do with jerky) on the big pit.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Trimmed up the brisket & had to cut it in half to fit in a pot as it was too big. Then I made the brine for the pastrami since I didn't do that yesterday. It too will need to sit in the brine for a couple of weeks before it can be smoked.

Corn Beef/Pastrami Brine Recipe
1 Gallon of water
3/4 Cup kosher salt
1 Tablespoon cure #1
1 Cup brown sugar (preferably dark)
5 Tablespoons pickling spices
4 Cloves garlic, pressed
CB_Step_1.jpg

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
W.R., What kind of lettuce do you plant? I did Salad Bowl this year and it hasn't bolted yet. How is everybody else's lettuce doing in the warmer zones?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I pulled the 'Canadian Bacon' & the 'pastrami' out of the brine today & vacuum packed/froze them (I will smoke them in a couple of weeks).

The HEB grocery store had Boston Butts on sale for 97¢ per pound (limit 2), so Mrs. Ranch & I shopped separately today & bought 4 of them. We froze 3 of them & I will bone it out to make 'Buckboard Bacon' out of the 4th one. I will use the same brine as I did with the 'Canadian Bacon' except I'll omit the onion & garlic powder this time...

BuckboardBacon.jpg

Also picked up a full pork loin that I will cut for pork chops & 12 big chicken breasts.

Last edited:
E

ErnieCopp

Sounds like a bargain. Probably my favorite pork is the shank half of smoked hams. People out here will just not buy the shank halfs, so around Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter the price drops to around .90 cents to 1.19, and we buy two or three of them.

Seldom buy ham at any other time because it does not suit my taste.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Smoking half a brisket today over post oak/hickory coals for today's supper. Also making a pot of succotash (lima beans & corn) as Mrs Ranch told me to start using the frozen corn up (from the 2014 garden)... so I used 21 ears worth. (y)

Succotash.jpg

Brisket1_050615.jpg

Supper_050615.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Tonight we're having pork chops & I'm going to try something different.... I pounded 2 of them out to ~ 1/4" thick & spread a bruschetta type mixture on them, rolled them up, tied them & seasoned with salt/pepper. I'm just going to grill them on the gasser (along with a couple of plain ones for tomorrow). I'm interested to see how this combination tastes.

StuffedPorkChops1_050915.jpg

Mrs. Ranch made a pot of green beans & potatoes (from our garden) as well as a dewberry custard pie for dessert!!!

GB_Potatoes_050915.jpg

DewberryCustardPie1_050915.jpg

Well the beans were good, as were the stuffed japs, however the flavor profile of the meat was nothing to write home about (it looks better than it tasted to me)... Back to the drawing board on pork variations... But the highlight was the dessert!!!

StuffedPorkChops2_050915.jpg

Supper_050915.jpg

DewberryCustardPie2_050915.jpg

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,

Your pork roll reminded me of a dish i prepared to bait the lady trap when i was single. I would take a nice thick Flank steak and split it horizontally, and it would 2 or 2.5 times as long and half as thick.
Then i would spread some very low fat Chorizo that i would get from New Mexico, i cannot find it CA but you may be able to in Texas, and roll and tie like you did the pork. Even low fat chorizo has some fat in it, and that was the right amount to provide moisture and flavor, without being greasy. If i could find some of the same chorizo, i would make it today.

Ernie

E

ErnieCopp

Lots of the red greasy kind out here, too, but i never liked looking at it, let alone eating it. But the New Mexico Chorizo the friend gave me, was some of the best sausage i ever tasted. If anyone happens to know a Specialty butcher or shop that sells and ships it, i would like to have some more.

I am not fond of bottom pie crust so Linda is making me a Berry custard using a crustless version of your pie recipe.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Lots of chorizo here & every one I've ever sampled is too greasy.

Today forecast is more rain... I'm going to risk it & smoke a pork butt. I deboned & butterflied it so I could get more seasoning on the inside of the meat (hot mustard & my rub), then I rolled it up & tied it up before putting it on the smoker over straight post oak this time at about 275 degrees. Also going to make some stuffed jalapenos.

PorkButt1_051415.jpg
Ok, the butt is now at 165 degrees, so I double wrapped it in foil & put it back on for another 90 minutes or so. And the jalapenos are done...

StuffedJaps_051415.jpg
And supper is served!!!

PorkButt2_051415.jpg

PorkButt3_051415.jpg

Supper -51415.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Depending on the weather, I may or may not be doing supper on on the grill tonight. I decided to make 'German Rouladen', so I got them prepped. Steaks cut to 1/4" thick, slathered in whole brown mustard, topped with dill pickle slices & thinly sliced onions. Then rolled them up & tied them with butch's string. Regardless of where I cook them, I will need to brown & then braise them (either on the grill or in the house).

The will be served with mashed potatoes (mixed with homemade sauerkraut) & green beans.

Mein Gott that was tasty!!! It's been so long since we had this...

GermanRouladen2_051815.jpg

Last edited: