• Join Home Gardening Forum

What is your most used herb?

Mike

Might know the answer
Administrator
Planting Zone
6b
For me it's chives. Nearly every morning I microwave three strips of bacon then crack three eggs in a glass bowl breaking the yolk and some chives then microwave it as well. I took both the eggs and bacon for about two and a half minutes each. Makes for a quick breakfast and much healthier then cold cereal.

What is your most used herb when you cook?

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
I am going to say dill (for pickles), basil, oregano, and sweet marjoram (for spaghetti sauce) and sage for meat seasoning. I haven't had much luck with chives, but I think it is just to hot for them. I have some that are barely staying alive and I hope they flourish this fall and winter.

Slowngreen

Planting Zone
5A
I use garlic in almost everything I cook. I use chives on eggs and mashed potatoes but its mainly garlic for me UNLESS I have fresh dill, then I go over board with it on everything, its so dang good.

Slowngreen

Planting Zone
5A
I love cilantro too but damn it goes rotten too fast!

Mr_Yan

Planting Zone
6a
Year round cooking it would be garlic by far - about two heads a week. End of summer though it is basil.

My family goes thru a lot of pesto so I grow as much basil as I can fit and then make it in batches and freeze it. Last season we froze over three quarts of pesto.

I also grow garlic but my yields are marginal at best. I got a mixed bag of hard neck from a local farmer - music, brown tempest, spanish roja, and siberian.

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Mr_Yan, I have tried garlic once and was semi successful. Do you have any helpful hints on how to produce a lot?

Mr_Yan

Planting Zone
6a
Well finkikin I don't know how much will translate half a continent south but here goes.

I think most of my problems have been the lack of something in my soil so I need more compost and more mulch.

I plant mine in mid October just around the first frost. Then I should be just starting to see above ground growth about the time of the first snow accumulation. I cut my scapes as they show up.

Why am I writing this I should start a garlic thread. I need help with mine. The majority of my garlic heads so far this year are small.

MB3

Planting Zone
boy, this is tough, I use so many herbs and spices, but the fresh herb used most would be all the parsleys, including cilantro.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Cilantro, oregano and mints (for iced tea). I still need to learn how to work with these.

Treeca86

Planting Zone
7b
My most used herb has to be rosemary, tumeric, and garlic. Honestly, I put it in almost EVERYTHING. Kinda my secret ingredients (next to Whorechestire Sauce and nutmeg). I put them in Mediterranean dishes, Italian dishes, some Mexican dishes, Indian dishes, Chinese dishes, and in meatloaf, and rice. Tumeric helps with my pain, and all it does is give a yellow colour, doesn't give very much flavour to it.

IcyBC

Planting Zone
6b
The most often used herb in my household is dried sweet basil. I love it fresh, but with Michigan winter, I can't have it. I wait to the end of the season, pick all the leaves off, slow dry them in the oven, crumble them up and put them in a jar for use throughout the year. I love the smell of basil.

daisy

Planting Zone
8b
I love using fresh basil and parsley in just about everything. I can't wait until I can start growing a little windowsill herb garden in my kitchen, basil plants smell so good.
Thyme is also my secret ingredient in a lot of different recipes.

For me its basil as I add it to EVERYTHING!!! It is so useful in both cooking and my religious practices and it smells good and is super cute! I also use a lot of sage.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
IcyBC Herbs 9
dashboardc33 Herbs 7
Mr_Yan Fruit and Vegetables 3