• Join Home Gardening Forum

What does your traditional New Year Day supper consist of???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We have lots of holiday chances to gorge ourselves in the south, but New Year ‘s Day dinner is a horse of a different color. On most holidays, we southerners eat like kings, however on New Year’s Day we traditionally eat like paupers.

On New Year’s Day, we remember our southern ancestors & how the Civil War affected so many lives. We usually eat black-eyed peas flavored with hog jowl, collard greens & cornbread for dinner on New Year’s Day in remembrance of times of hardship/courage & for good luck. The black-eyed peas represent coins and the collard greens represent dollar bills. It is said that if you eat these foods on New Year’s Day, you will have plenty of money that coming year. Whether it really works or not, it’s a tradition that we follow for dinner every New Year’s Day.

What do your traditional New Year Day supper consist of & what do they represent???

Image1.jpg

M

Mr_Yan

We have no traditions or plans up here. My wife is going a little stir crazy so we may go out shopping or to the library today but we are sitting at about -2 F. Kids will still go to bed around 6:30 or 7 depending on naps taken.

Thinking for dinner we'll either have Chicago style pizza or paella tonight.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Happy New Years everybody!

Typically we normally host a party at the house and our "supper" consists of mostly finger foods, pizza, and wings along with Makers Mark.

This year we didn't host a party and actually had dinner at Longhorn :D

Lost in mn

Planting Zone
I never do dinner on new years we just have snacks n such and some bubbly around 10pm then go to bed lol

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
I didnt realize that the black eyed pea thing wasnt as wide spread geographically Sam. I cant remember a New Years day when I didnt have black eyed peas and cabbage (for luck and money in the coming year - my parents always say).. We usually couple it with a pork roast or a baked ham. My parents usually have greens and cornbread as well but I'm not fond of greens - at all! I grow them every year and give them all away.

M

MB3

cabbage or sauer kraut seems to be the new years tradition I always heard about. good luck and all that. maybe it is just more popular among those of eastern and central european descent? o/c my gf knew of this and is french/cherokee.