• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Just planted some tobacco seeds. Late, but we'll see what happens. I've never grown it before so this will be more of a test run anyway.

M

Mr_Yan

Former co-worker of mine grew tobacco to attract and feed tomato horn worms / tobacco horn worms / hawk moths. He was a little out there.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Continued mulching the garden, trying to get as much done before the rain arrives.

Start the 'beginning-of-the-month' chores.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Started raining yesterday about 1800 hrs, by midnight we had received a total of 5.23". At sun up, I saw that we caught a fair amont of run off in the stock tanks.

The rain has started coming down again, almost another 1.82" thus far. I can already see that it's going to be a pain cutting the grass the next time.

Prepped 2 whole eye-of-rounds & vacuum packed them.

Trimmed a whole brisket & ran it through the grinder twice for burgers.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Grocery trip with the unwashed masses. Pantry refill, haven't spent this much at the grocery store in a long while.

Trip to my local garden store.
  • Pole Kentucky Wonder Wax Beans
  • Oregon Giant Snow Peas
  • Danvers Carrots
  • Large American Flag Leeks
  • Grand Rapids Leaf Lettuce
  • Harris Early Model Parsnips
  • Early Spring Burpless Cucumbers
Planted the leek seeds in a 4" deep tray with a sandy potting mix. My thinking is to tease them apart in a month or two and transplant. If I get 50% germination I will have way too many leeks.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Vacuum packed the hamburger patties.

Made German Rouladen for supper tonight.

GermanRouladen2_051815.jpg

Last edited:

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Wife's birthday is today. Went to the market, didn't have much. We're having hamburgers and some 2018 dewberry wine lol.

Happy Birthday to your bride wolffman !!

We haven't been cooking much at the house lately..
But, a good meal is never far away from me and my staff !! Once this is over with, most of my RN's will know how to order their own at the local Asian restaurant ! LOL!! Peking ducks anyone? beef with honey glazed....

90231847_2933042953419866_6896129924319412224_n.jpg90244467_2933042773419884_5822337097582772224_n.jpg

B

Be Ready

Watched the Robins work some fresh till... They enjoyed it.5349764E-5E03-4109-B2CD-9D837E2DA661.jpeg

M

Mr_Yan

0.25" to 0.5" hail last night around 8.

Having a glass of Traverse City Bourbon - ok but not a great bottle.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Puttered in the garden yesterday & this morning. Harvested a bunch of basil & prepped it for the dehydrator.

Made bread.

Cut the grass ahead of the rain... it was bad.

M

Mr_Yan

Snowed here today... Not unusual.

Listened to that woman from Michigan's press conference. It hurt. Amazed she didn't say something like "We are all Detroit". Strict stay at home order for another 3 weeks.

My leek seeds are starting to germinate.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Ventured out at the crack of dawn to do the weekly shopping as Walmart has instituted numerous 'safety' steps. These really stupid ideas include allowing only 5 people per 1000 sq. ft. & one way aisles with 6' apart lines everywhere. I arrived early as I don't do lines, walked in & promptly ignored it all. Afterwards I went to buy our weekly supply of cigarettes at 'The Tobacco Barn' & was told I could only buy one carton which really set me off. I just had her ring 4 cartons up one at a time. When we were all done, I asked her to tell the manager that he's not accomplishing a darn thing with the BS other than ticking his customers off. Then I did our grocery shopping which was relatively a normal experience. All I can say is that most businesses have had some really stupid, boneheaded ideas lately...

Fine ground the dehydrated basil & put it in a jar for when I process spaghetti sauce in a couple of months.