• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

M

Mr_Yan

Church.
Shoveled the driveway.
Shoveled the snow-plow slop at the end of our neighbor's driveway (he's also the pastor at our church).

Right now we're 6 or 7 inches into the 1 to 3 inches of snow forecast and still falling at about an inch an hour. That's lake effect snow for you.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Removed the old shower slider bars & installed the new brushed stainless steel units in both houses.

Fed cattle & put out hay.

Put out another suet block for the birds.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Rainy (0.72" thus far) & cool again today...

Finished the 2020 Spring Garden plan & ordered all the seeds.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Got above freezing here.

Heard a Mike Bloomberg for president radio ad on my way home from work. Guess it will be different this year. I've been in Illinois which is a foregone conclusion and no one spends ad money in - just bribe money to the dem machine. Now I'm in an almost battleground state.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping.

Paint swatches of the new paint in each room so we can live with it for a while to see if it works (per Mrs. Ranch). Did the same with the new color over at the guest house. UPDATE: She's already decided that she doesnt like the color for the main house so the adventure continues...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Watered everything in the greenhouse.

Ordered 4 more paint samples for Mrs. Ranch.

Cut the grass... what a mess, clumps everywhere. I still need to line trim...

Harvested broccoli, another cauliflower, a couple of kohlrabi & 2 heads of cabbage.

Installed more memory in my computer (24GB).

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Received more rain last night (0.12").

Prepped a 9 pound prime rib roast for smoking tomorrow.

Prime_Rib_Roast_1.jpg

Continued pruning the Crape Myrtles back. Three more to go...

The Mountain Laurel in the back flowerbed has been in bloom the last few days... This is the most blooms it has ever had & the fragrance can be had from a distance (smells like Welch's grape juice concentrate)!!!

Mountain_Laurel.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Prepped the smoker for the rib roast. I also trussed the roast up with butcher's string to help keep it's shape. It will be smoked over a combination of post oak & hickory coals at 250 degrees for about 4.5 hours (or until it hits an internal temperature of 120 degrees). It will then rest for about 45 minutes to reabsorb its juices. I plan on starting it at 1345 hrs so we can eat at 1900 hrs. Mrs. Ranch is going to make mashed potatoes & broccoli salad to go with it!!! UPDATE: It finished earlier than I anticipated & is now resting.

Prime_Rib_Roast_2.jpg

I forgot to post the money shot as I was hungry at the time, LOL!!! Here it is:

Prime_Rib_Roast_3.jpg

Placed my quarterly liquor order (should be in Thursday, will pickup on Friday).

Ordered 20 'White Queen' caladiums & 20 'Dragon Heart' for the flowerbeds.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Prepped the smoker for the rib roast. I also trussed the roast up with butcher's string to help keep it's shape. I will be smoked over a combination of post oak & hickory coals at 250 degrees for about 4.5 hours (or until it hits an internal temperature of 120 degrees). It will then rest for about 45 minutes to reabsorb its juices. I plan on starting it at 1345 hrs so we can eat at 1900 hrs. Mrs. Ranch is going to make mashed potatoes & broccoli salad to go with it!!!

I'm taking the day off today. Can I come over?

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
Prepped the smoker for the rib roast. I also trussed the roast up with butcher's string to help keep it's shape. It will be smoked over a combination of post oak & hickory coals at 250 degrees for about 4.5 hours (or until it hits an internal temperature of 120 degrees). It will then rest for about 45 minutes to reabsorb its juices. I plan on starting it at 1345 hrs so we can eat at 1900 hrs. Mrs. Ranch is going to make mashed potatoes & broccoli salad to go with it!!! UPDATE: It finished earlier than I anticipated & is now resting.

Placed my quarterly liquor order (should be in Thursday, will pickup on Friday).

Ordered 20 'White Queen' caladiums & 20 'Dragon Heart' for the flowerbeds.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Raining again this morning (0.27" thus far).

Made bread.

Received all my garden seeds/supplies, so I started filling the starter pots with the soil mix. I'll plant the seeds this coming weekend.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
This past weekend, Luke's pinewood derby car took 1st place overall with his "Faster than Light Speeder" against about 70 other cars. After coming in 2nd two years in a row, we were determined to make it happen this year. He was a happy camper and learned quite a few things this year.

I've made contact with a site that sells derby stuff, and I'm about to start selling them these CNC machined car bodies to sell on their site. It seems there is a huge market for derby stuff. Should be an interesting experiment.

83166604_10221578310115861_4512139177701146624_n.jpg83143564_10221578312715926_8602705556995571712_n.jpgIMG-2360.JPG

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made stuffed jalapenos.

Finished filling the peat starter pots with the soil mix.

Starter_Pots_Ready.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping & picked up my quarterly liquor order.

Started spraying RoundUp at the home site.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made beef stock using the bones from the prime rib for soup.

Received the new color samples yesterday so I painted swatches of the 2 new colors of paint in each room so we can live with it for a while to see if it works (per Mrs. Ranch). Did the same with the new colors over at the guest house.

Continued spraying RoundUp around the home site.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Lots of hours at work this week. This machine may have me traveling down to near(ish) many of you - Laredo TX - in a few months. Oh well travel is part of the job.

Glass of Knob Creek bourbon going.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Made the beef/barley/vegetable soup.

Finished pruning the Crape Myrtles back, then burned the 'trash'.

Refilled the redbird feeders.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Planted both varieties of tomatoes & peppers, basil & the marigolds in their starter pots & turned the heater up to 80 degrees for the germination period.

Burned more trash.

Cleaned/refilled the hummingbird feeder. Hard to believe that these 2 never left...

Last edited: