Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden & asparagus bed.

Today is lasagna day!!! Homemade everything!!! Made 2 big trays & still had leftover dough so I made Manicotti. We'll eat off of this for a couple of days & then vacuum pack/freeze it in individual portions.

Lasagna.jpg

Manicotti.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the trees & flowerbeds.

Fed cattle & put out another roll of hay.

Clean & refilled the hummingbird feeder for the one that refuses to move on...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Watered the garden & asparagus bed.

Fed the cattle.

Treated the fire ant mounds on the home site with Bifen.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Sunday:
Made a pot of Soup with sweet potato biscuits
Cleaned out the dryer vent duct - 100% blocked, I'm sure it was never cleaned in the 18 years since this house was built.

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
in this weather not much to do. been picking broccoli , kale , lettuce , kohlrabi , collard greens , onions almost big enough to fertilize , hope everybody is warm & dry

K

ksk

in this weather not much to do. been picking broccoli , kale , lettuce , kohlrabi , collard greens , onions almost big enough to fertilize , hope everybody is warm & dry
This is my first year to grow Kale.Do y have a recipe you could share? Thanks..

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
KsK - put 1 tbs olive oil and 1 cup of water OR chicken broth in bottom of inner pot (Insta Pot) add onion an fresh garlic , fill to top with Kale (cooks down) set timer to 5 minutes when timer beeps release steam open lid and serve. makes even the tough leafs tender.. I also like it raw

M

Mr_Yan

Almost warmed to 50 F yesterday. Woke up to 0.5" of snow today and windchill of 16 F. Ended up with about 2" of snow on the deck by dinner today.

M

Mr_Yan

This is my first year to grow Kale.Do y have a recipe you could share? Thanks..

Braise it with red onion or shallot.

Sautee a thinly sliced small red onion or medium to large shallot in olive oil in a dutch oven or cast iron skillet. (Bacon, red pepper flakes, garlic can be added...)
Slice kale in thin ribbons and soak / rinse off in a bowl of water.
When onion / garlic / shallot is cooked add kale by handfuls directly from the bowl of water. Add some chicken broth (teaspoon of base and cup or two of water) and cover.
Stir as needed.
Cook down until it tastes good. 20 to 40 mins over low-ish heat.
Add a splash of wine vinegar just before serving.

I add the ribbons of kale dripping wet from the bowl to carry cooking water over into the dutch oven.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Vacuum pack the stuffed shells from yesterday.

Started cleaning & waxing the kitchen cabinets... This is going to take days as there are a lot of them & they're tall. On the plus side, this stuff (combination of carnauba Wax, beeswax & orange oil) works great!!!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Pick up a load of cattle feed & did the weekly shopping.

Made navy bean soup for supper tonight.

Last edited:
  • Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The cold front blew in at 0912 hrs... the temperature has already dropped18 degrees in 15 minutes.

Mrs. Ranch is taking her turn making Christmas cookies today, so I'm going to clean/polish the cabinets in 2 of the 3 bathrooms.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Made a batch of plain / sugar Christmas cookies for the kids to frost and decorate as they want and I made a batch of Russian tea cakes.