• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the porch pots & hanging baskets.

Went to town to pickup a couple of molasses tubs for the cattle.

Seasoned up chicken fajitas that I'll grill for supper.

Continued pruning the lower branches off the oak trees.

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
finally dug my red potatoes several had rotten spots (discarded) some had real small white spots and are still firm are the white spots the first stage of rot & :: are they safe to eat :: ??.... ( got 27 lbs for 4 lbs seed potatoes) picked yellow squash 3 bell peppers

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
some had real small white spots and are still firm are the white spots the first stage of rot & :: are they safe to eat :: ??....

Yes sir, they are. Happily these small white spots on potatoes are not a reason for great concern. They are actually swollen lenticels caused by too much water. Lenticels are minute organs used by the tuber to breathe but in waterlogged soils they become blocked & swell up.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus flowerbeds & all the trees.

Put out the molasses tubs for the cattle.

Picked up the tree branches from yesterday & put them on the burn pile.

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
picked a few cherry tomatoes (she) will be happy .. got .02 rain . can almost see the grass grow :) .. martins have hatched now have a dozen or so gets kinda noisy (good kind) .. and fed the tomatoes

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made rolled wheat bread.

Fed cattle.

Picked jalapenos that I stuffed for supper & also picked 10 eggplants & gave them to a neighbor.

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
0400 this am lite rain approx. 4/5 minutes not enough to measure.. picked bell peppers . squash. green tomatoes to fry. wind is howling lazy day

M

Mr_Yan

yesterday was LEGO all over the living room before lunch, rain at lunch, and the local natural history museum after lunch:

Jane the T-Rex

The middle scull is Homer the triceratops

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus, flowerbeds & all the trees. We haven't seen any of the rain that was forecasted...

Seasoned up a couple of pork steaks that I'll smoke for supper. Mrs. Ranch is making twice-baked potatoes to go with them.

Made strawberry shortcakes for dessert.

Shot another snake... they are sure out this year.

Last edited:

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Pressure washed the deck as I'm prepping it to be stained later this week. Also applied what I hope is the last coat of paint on my daughters bed that I've made her. Will post pictures once it's in her room and done.

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
watered the garden picked squash .cherry tomatoes. bell peppers. trimmed some of bottom leafs off tomato plants
got kinda hot ..excuse for a cold beverage ;)

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
Sam I noticed you made a pot of beans have you tried making them in a INSTANT Pot MRS. L. uses one start to done 40 / 45 with dry beans (no soaking)

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
old school is the way we did it until she got the Instant Pot for Xmas . the I P saves her time & work .. (that makes her happy ? ) SO life is good

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Took the big truck in for an oil change/lube & the yearly state inspection. I'll pickup the new sticker sometime next week.

Picked up a 1X12 of clear cedar (to replace the tops of the little porch tables). Got them cut & painted.

Seasoned up the beef fajitas that I'll grill for supper. Mrs Ranch made potato salad out of the small red potatoes from the garden.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Sam I noticed you made a pot of beans have you tried making them in a INSTANT Pot MRS. L. uses one start to done 40 / 45 with dry beans (no soaking)

We've been running an Instant Pot for almost 2 years and beans were a big driver for it. Have to say that probably 80% of the time we use it is just as a slow cooker.

Try risotto in the Instant Pot, it works great.

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
MR_YAN --- MRS L uses the IP for boiled eggs - pasta - meatloaf - beans / peas - soup - cake - fresh corn - we really enjoy it saves time