Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping.

Made my first attempt at making cream puffs/eclairs... failed big time and threw it in the trash. I'll try again in a couple of days.

Last edited:

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
I have no doubt that Mr. Ranch will have his cream puff recipe perfected in no time. His baking talents are superior.

No humming birds here yet but I usually have many more in the fall than spring. It seems this spring has been cooler than normal so maybe the humming birds are just going to be late showing up.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Played 'wire monkey' today, snaking Romex (20 amp) in the attic. We now have the 2 additional light fixtures installed & the fan on the back porch working. I'll adjust the lights when it gets dark & balance the fan blades tomorrow. I'm whopped... getting old sucks, but I'm almost done with this project so I can go back to my gardening.

Backporch_Fan_042019.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Spent the weekend in western Michigan. Dune climbs, playing on a playground next to a lake, walking around town without thinking about wanting kevlar vests, talking with people and not thinking cops will be involved. Western Michigan is polar opposite from northern Illinois.

Swing from 25 F as a low to 75 F as a high. We'll still get a hard freeze or two this season.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Spent the weekend in western Michigan. Dune climbs, playing on a playground next to a lake, walking around town without thinking about wanting kevlar vests, talking with people and not thinking cops will be involved. Western Michigan is polar opposite from northern Illinois.

Swing from 25 F as a low to 75 F as a high. We'll still get a hard freeze or two this season.

Mr. Yan, I was fortunate to have spent 4 days in Charlevoix, Michigan. It was a Boston Whaler Boats gatherings.
Michigan's Dunes is on my next bucket list ! Beautiful place..from what i'd heard/seen.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone

Good for you Yan. Are y'alll about ready to make the move or have you done so already?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made milk bread.

Planted the watermelons & continued mulching.

Watered the garden, asparagus, porch pots & the hanging baskets.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Mr. Yan, I was fortunate to have spent 4 days in Charlevoix, Michigan. It was a Boston Whaler Boats gatherings.
Michigan's Dunes is on my next bucket list ! Beautiful place..from what i'd heard/seen.

Charlevoix is much farther north than where we were for the weekend but you're right it's a great place. I used to live an hour drive south-ish of Charlevoix on Grand Traverse Bay. I'd say I grew up there but some would argue I didn't grow up.

Anyway for the dunes I'd suggest Sleeping Bear National Lake Shore up near Empire or Glen Arbor. I prefer the Empire blufs over the Glen Arbor dune climb. It's more out of the way entrance and lower traffic. There are several more dunes going south - Silver Lake, Saugatuck, Indiana, and about each state park along lake MI has a dune to climb.

We were in Holland and there was a stair climb to to the top of the dune and a lookout platform up there. 239 or so steps to the top. Seems weird to have a wooden stair case but it also "protects the fragile dune environment".

Good for you Yan. Are y'alll about ready to make the move or have you done so already?

We have not yet moved. House sale still ongoing here in the people's republic and I still have not turned in my time at my current employer.

Last Sunday we had 2+ inches of snow. We hit a high of 80 today. Last week's snow / ice / instant-glacier was terrible and actually broke my snow brush and scraper.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Turn the trash.

Replanted 4 tomato & 1 jalapeno plants from my reserve, then tossed the remaining plants to start clearing out the greenhouse.

Cut the grass ahead of the rain tomorrow.

Seasoned up chicken fajitas that I'll grill for supper. I'll make ranch rice to go with it.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping (very meat heavy). We spent the afternoon vacuum packing & tomorrow I'll grind up the 2 briskets.

Watered the garden, asparagus bed & half the trees.

Last edited: