• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Splash the possum, Dieter got her last night.

Pulled the buckboard bacon out of the curing brine, rinsed it off & vacuum pack them for freezing... I'll smoke them when it warms up.

Start the 'begining-of-the-month' chores.

Received 0.35" of rain starting at 1400 hrs.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Did the weekly shopping.

Replaced the wiper blades on both Jeeps.

Ready 5 more pots for the small porch outside of Mrs. Ranch's sewing room.

Tomatoes are starting to sprout in the greenhouse!!!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Seasoned up a nice sirloin steak that will be smoked for supper tonight. Then I made stuffed jalapenos. Mrs. Ranch is going to make her twice baked potatoes to complete our meal.

Fed the cattle.

Did the monthly maintenance of our computers.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Took yesterday off & spent time with the family.

Today I made bread, refilled the birdfeeders, watered the flats in the greenhouse, fed the cattle & put hay out for them. Also got 6 molasses tubs ready to cut for down at the party barn (landscape rings).

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cut the molasses tubs down with a jig saw.

Vacuum both Jeeps. Mrs. Ranch laundered Dieter's 'mud room' because my jeep was smelling doggy, LOL!!!

Fed the cattle a day early.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made a pot of pinto beans.

Seasoned up chicken fajitas that I'll grill for supper. I'll also make our ranch rice to go with it. Made enough to last through the 4 days of bad weather...

Cut the grass ahead of the cold front & the rain.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Just ugly out around here.
  • 74 deg F swing from the Thursday low (-30 F) to the Saturday high (44 F).
  • Rain on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
  • Last night was an ice storm and we got about an inch of sleet which froze together.
  • Last night's ice storm also had thunder snow in it - thunder storm while snowing.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cold front & the rain arrived at 1000 hrs. this morning. At 0600 hrs it was 71 degrees & now it's down to 58. The next 2 days are forecasted to be in the mid-40s for the highs & 39 for the lows.

Since I can't do anything outside, I detailed the interior of Mrs. Ranch's Jeep to stay busy.

Received the leeks today. Also received a case of Bifen insecticide so I'm ready to give the fire ants hell as soon as the temperature goes back up.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Last night:

The ice on the patio is about 1" thick. Those are not drips on the tree branches but icicles.

We were swinging from 33 F to 3 F. Wind was steady around 20 mph and gusting much higher. Windchill when I took this photo was about -20 according to accuweather.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cold here too... 35 degrees with drizzle. Needless to say, I haven't done anything all day. Dieter's not happy either.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
38 degrees with drizzle. Made a pear bundt cake for something to do. Then watched DVDs with the family.

Ordered 4 more faucets for the bathroom sinks.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Snowing and 26.

Wife mixing bread now.

Soup, biscuits, and lemon bars on the schedule for today.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
59 degrees this morning... with more drizzle. The drizzle over the last 5 days has added up to 0.45".

Watered everything in the greenhouse.

Ordered a custom-made 'Aluminet' cover for the greenhouse (complete w/nylon edging & grommets).

Detailed garden tractor.

Last edited:
  • Up Vote
Reactions: ksk
M

Mr_Yan

Snow starting - forecast calls for 3"-5" or 5"-8" depending on who you check. But all of them have freezing drizzle over the snow late tonight - calling for 0.1" of ice.

K

ksk

Pulled cauliflower and threw them away as the weather has played havoc on them this year.Thinned out the spinach and mustard greens.I'm getting close to planting potatoes if my beds dry [too wet].

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Pulled cauliflower and threw them away as the weather has played havoc on them this year.Thinned out the spinach and mustard greens.I'm getting close to planting potatoes if my beds dry [too wet].

Mustard greens and some smoked bacon sounds good right about now.

M

Mr_Yan

Got 3 or 4 inches of really heavy wet snow and the east facing sides of things were covered in ice. Had to kick the gate a few times to break it free of the ice this morning. This was the type of snow that causes out of shape people to have heart attacks when shoveling.

Kids had the day off school and the drive to work took 45 minutes instead of the typical 30.

School parent / teacher conferences have now been rescheduled for the second time.

Harvested a bowl full of hydroponic lettuce for the salad with dinner.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Fed the cattle & put out hay.

Spray/drench the fire ant mounds in the yard.

Started dissolving copper crystals with 15 gallons of water to treat the algae bloom in the front stock tank. I'll apply if when it's fully dissolved.

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
have garden spot cleaned up to wet to till . wanting to try something new ( to me ) molasses comes liquid or dry have to find a person that is the know RCW Nursery site has a good article on the use an benefits
anyone on site have knowledge about Molasses application an results
also do or don't use roundup to help with clean up small garden weeds . health concerns !! advise appreciated

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I use RoundUp to assist in cleaning the garden prior to planting & have done so for decades. This health scare stuff is way overblown IMO... It's just the product of the hysterical anti-Monsanto crowd's mentality.