Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Drizzling & 80 degrees here...

Went shopping this morning & then picked up 13 pounds of beef fajita meat at the packinghouse (which i cleaned/trimmed when I got home).

Made pizza dough & sauce for supper tonight.

M

Mr_Yan

Emptied and sifted my worm-compost bin. Harvested a whole wheelbarrow of 3/16" sifted worm castings. Moved the compost bin to the basement for the winter.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Fed the cattle.

Cut the grass. Finished just in time too, it started raining (0.96" thus far).

Made stuffed jalapenos.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Refilled the remaining hummingbird feeders for the diehards that don't want to leave.

Moved one of Dieter's beds into our bedroom. He doesn't want to sleep in his kennel anymore & although he prefers the couch, we don't trust him that much yet. Maybe it's a single child thing,,,

Sprayed the fire ant mounds in the yard that cropped up over night.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Dieter must have liked sleeping in the bedroom as he didn't wake us until 0620 hrs verses his normal 0400-0500 hrs.

Fed the cattle.

Ran to town for some odds & ends at the grocery store.

Made a big pan (13" X 17") of scalloped potatoes that we will slice & vacuum pack for this coming winter.

Scalloped_Potatoes_100218.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Rain and soggy out. Getting dark early.

Parent / kid / Teacher conferences. The 1st grader's evidence for behaving during the 3rd grader's conference "I wasn't hanging upside down from the ceiling."

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Made a follow up spraying of the fire ant mounds.

Did the deal with the fence guy this morning to redo the north side fencing which is currently barbed gaucho wire. This fence will consist of (200) 6 inch minimum cedar posts, (2970 feet) Stay-Tuff net wire & the installation. Upon completion, the entire property will be hog proof... I'm tired of dealing with them.

K

ksk

Made bread.

Made a follow up spraying of the fire ant mounds.

Did the deal with the fence guy this morning to redo the north side fencing which is currently barbed gaucho wire. This fence will consist of (200) 6 inch minimum cedar posts, (2970 feet) Stay-Tuff net wire & the installation. Upon completion, the entire property will be hog proof... I'm tired of dealing with them.
I feel your pain Ranch.Hogs tore up my lavee around my pond last night.I have seen the largest on a game camera,he is huge.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Continue working on the 'beginning-of-the-month' chores...

Vacuum packed/freeze the scalloped potatoes.

Fed the cattle.

Watered the porch pots.

Seasoned up a thick sirloin steak that will be smoked for supper.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Planted Fall garden: broccoli,cauliflower,cabbage,lettuce and mustard greens.Could not find spinach plants.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping. Bought a lot of meat today (beef, chicken & pork)... I hope to get 2 of the briskets ground up tomorrow. Also picked up ranch fuel.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Rained 0.185" last night.

Ground 2 briskets up to make hamburger... we made 58 one-third pounders. Also cleaned & sectioned out the 3rd brisket & vacuum packed it.

After we were done & sipping our margaritas, Dieter found a large rattlesnake (~ 4 1/2 foot)... 8 rattles but it won't be getting any older. I hate snakes.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Vacuum packed the burgers from yesterday.

Made bread.

Well, I tried to cut the grass... got about 25% done & then got rained out. There standing water so I' try again tomorrow.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Tried to harvest my beans today but they're a FAILURE. The bush plants have fallen over and the persistant rain over the last few weeks caused the pods and beans in them to rot.

The only beans that did well were the Good Mother Stallard beans. These are a dry eating pole bean. I'm impressed with them there were a lot of pods set on each plant and each pod seems to be around 5 beans per pod.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finished cutting the grass.

Shredded ~20 feet along the perimeter fence that going to be replaced so the workers can see what they're doing. Also shredded along the frontage road since the county hasn't maintained it.

Made another pear cake, this time in the mini-pans. We'll share them with the younger couple down the road.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cleaned & lightly sanded the bird feeding station so I can paint it before winter arrives... Now I'm work-stop because it started raining (over 2.51" thus far & we're catching some good runoff in the tanks).

Fence guy called & said they'd be here tomorrow morning to get started on the front since it's the high ground.

Last edited:
  • Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread & navy bean soup for supper.

It felt a lil' nippy this morning as it was 62... it's suppose to be in the 50s the next few mornings with highs between 60s-80s, LOL!!!

October.JPG
Painted the bird feeding station.

I'm personally not doing much today, just watching the fencing guys do their thing... same as yesterday.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Made bread & navy bean soup for supper.

It felt a lil' nippy this morning as it was 62... it's suppose to be in the 50s the next few mornings with highs between 60s-80s, LOL!!!

Painted the bird feeding station.

I'm personally not doing much today, just watching the fencing guys do their thing... same .

Last edited by a moderator:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I'll give you my mobile one if you want it, I won't be needing it anymore... It's beat up but it still works.

I also have used large permanent to trap them on the lease.

K

ksk

I'll give you my mobile one if you want it, I won't be needing it anymore... It's beat up but it still works.

I also have used large permanent to trap them on the lease.

Thanks for the offer.A brother that ranches near Wimberley is dropping one off this weekend.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping.

Continued to watch the fencing guys. The netwire is all installed along the frontage road (880 ft). Also 2 tractors w/posthole diggers were delivered along with the big cedar corner posts/braces & the rolls of gaucho barbed wire. Still awaiting the arrival of the skid-steer to level/scape the fence line. Looks like 2 crews were called in to get this project done ASAP...

Last edited: