• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

M

Mr_Yan

Thinned out fall beets and cabbage. Weeded around them.

Finished the chapters on pointers in C and working with strings.

Dog is trained to go nuts when my wife starts making popcorn.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Refilled hummingbird feeders as needed.

Fed the cattle & put out more hay ahead of the rain.

Seasoned up 2 big chicken breasts & grilled them on the Weber.

Rain started at 1240 hrs... Not much, but every little bit helps.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Had a tomato sandwich for breakfast.

Helped the kids find bugs in the yard after work. It was their self-imposed homework.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Raining/drizzling all day (total was 0.41").

Had to go to town to pickup sugar... I forgot to buy it yesterday... Also topped off the fuel in Mrs. Ranch's Jeep in case the disturbance in the gulf turns into something more than just this rain.

Refilled the hummingbird feeders as needed.

Got a pot of pinto beans seasoned up & soaking for tomorrow.

Made stuffed jalapenos.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Drizzling again today... we got another 0.55"!!!

Refilled the redbird feeders.

Made the pot of pinto beans.

Seasoned up beef fajita meat for supper tonight. I'll make Spanish rice to go with it.

Worked on refurbing my Jeep's headlight covers (they were starting to 'cloud' up).

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b

Fed cattle & put out hay.

Finished refurbing my Jeep's headlight covers (they look like new again!!!). Tomorrow I'll reinstall the grill & call that project done.

Burn the trash. Just in time too... It's raining.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Dry here for about a week.

Spent Saturday excavating parts of the back yard to regrade and get rain water to flow out (not in to the house like earlier this summer). Took 4 big wheel barrow loads and one large garden wagon load of soil to a neighbor's house to fill a raised bed. Would have been easy but for the 40' vertical difference between his place and mine.

M

Mr_Yan

A common refrain in this house is
me: "Who is more stubborn you or daddy?"
kid: "Daddy!"

Well I may have met my match with this three year old girl. Wow she is bullheaded.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b

Finished reinstalling the Jeep's grill.

Cut the grass... Clumps everywhere.

Last edited:

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I had a pretty productive weekend.

Built a retaining wall for my crawlspace entrance as well as a new cover/roof for it. Mowed and edged mine and the neighbors lawn (they are out of town on vacation). Cleaned the gutters. Replaced the HVAC air filter.

Oh and even cooked some amazing ribeye's on the grill.
ribe-eye-after.jpg

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Bamboo update-Some of the shoots are approaching twenty feet tall. Mind you, I planted this stuff in March, lol! After this recent round of rain we had, there are a bunch of new shoots coming up. The company I ordered it from said it reaches maturity in 3 years, and I was skeptical. Not anymore. I'm really starting to like this stuff, it's going to make a super nice vegetative privacy fence.

IMG_0168.JPG

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Bamboo update-Some of the shoots are approaching twenty feet tall. Mind you, I planted this stuff in March, lol! After this recent round of rain we had, there are a bunch of new shoots coming up.

Just wait, we have another week of rain coming. It's suppose to start up again Thursday.

K

ksk

The 5.1 rain this month jumped my grass knee high.I mowed 5 hours today.Much more to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr_Yan

Vacation day today. Did a lot of nothing.

While doing a puzzle shortly after lunch with my 3 year old, the stubborn one, she picked up my phone and started playing with it. A minute or two later it rang so I took it and answered it. She called 911. The incoming call was the 911 dispatcher calling back to check on a silent call.

K

ksk

Vacation day today. Did a lot of nothing.

While doing a puzzle shortly after lunch with my 3 year old, the stubborn one, she picked up my phone and started playing with it. A minute or two later it rang so I took it and answered it. She called 911. The incoming call was the 911 dispatcher calling back to check on a silent call.
Been there and done that.When my twins were four,my daughter dialed 911 because her brother hit her.He in turn,dialed 911 and told the operator he did not.A police officer made a visit.He was a former student of mine.He got a laugh and the kids got a butt chew from me.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Burned all the remaining feed bags & cardboard boxes.

Sprayed the fire ant mounds that cropped up after the recent rains.

Refilled the hummingbird feed as necessary... It looks like some have moved on at this point as I haven't had to make as much nectar...

Last edited:

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Bamboo update-Some of the shoots are approaching twenty feet tall. Mind you, I planted this stuff in March, lol! After this recent round of rain we had, there are a bunch of new shoots coming up. The company I ordered it from said it reaches maturity in 3 years, and I was skeptical. Not anymore. I'm really starting to like this stuff, it's going to make a super nice vegetative privacy fence.

View attachment 3196

Those bamboo took off quick !! Healthy and green too !

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Sort & load up the young bulls into 2 trailers for delivery to their new owners. Time for them to earn their keep,,,

Refilled the hummingbird feeders as needed (only a gallon today). Took 4 of them down & cleaned them for storage.

Last edited: