• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

M

Mr_Yan

Installed three new lally posts to support my main beam in the basement. The old posts were rotten out and my house was being held up by two or three 2x4s. Two more posts to go then all the posts need to be cemented in.

Burned out one circ saw - it was still smoking 15 minutes after I unplugged it.

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the asparagus, trees, flowerbeds & porch pots.

Picked up 2 cantaloupe & gave them to a neighbor. Also harvested some jalapenos.

Made a pot of pinto beans.

Cleaned the ceiling fan in the front room & changed the direction to blow down for the summer. I always seem to procrastinate on that one because I have to bring the 12' ladder over from the barn...

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

One more post installed and one ready to be installed.

Nothing like digging 14" below the concrete floor then filling it back with concrete and steel.

Concrete work done around the three from yseterday. 6 80# bags of Quikcrete.

Had to demo a serious kluge job wall to get to these. Would have installed the 5th post but the old footing is SOLID and huge so I'll use it but I have to order a shorter mono-post.

Who even thinks this is near right. Some of it has sill plate, some has top plate. Some looks like bad blindfolded tetris. You can't even see the bad parts clearly.

Right now EVERY major muscle group hurts.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

ksk

Watered fruit trees.Removed cucumber vines and tomatillos.

M

Mr_Yan

Trying to start lettuce for the next round. Today is the second time in a week I have baked them in the sun killing most or all of the 16 starts.

K

ksk

Watered surviving tomatoes. No rain yesterday as a huge storm built up to my south and moved away.

M

Mr_Yan

Having a heck of a time with damping off on my lettuce seedlings. Will a copper spray work on VERY young plants?

M

Mr_Yan

Ubuntu loaded on my new chromebook, codeblocks and python 3.6 loaded on now. Worked through the first day's exercises of Sam's Teach Yourself C.

Off to make deviled eggs - great breakfast food

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the trees, flowerbeds, asparagus, hanging baskets & porch pots.

Continued working on a friend's computer (recovery, updates & fresh backup).

Fed the cattle.

Seasoned up beef fajita meat that will be grilled for supper. Also harvested jalapenos that were stuffed to go with the leftover beans & Spanish rice as the side dishes.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made a buttermilk pie & a batch of buttermilk biscuits.

Fed the cattle.

Dropped off my friend's computer.

Received the replacement OEM mud flaps for the truck & installed the one that got lost when I had that blowout a couple of weeks ago. Then I washed the truck & started detailing it.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Rainy and "cool" the the last few days - high about 80 today, dew point in the low 70s. Installed the last post in the basement.

Finally getting off my hind quarters and starting the job hunt again.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the trees, flowerbeds, asparagus & some of the grass in the backyard... we need rain bad.

Fed the cattle.

Harvested 4 watermelons, one for us & gave the other 3 to our neighbors.

Start shredding along the roads.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Watered all the trees, flowerbeds, asparagus & some of the grass in the backyard... we need rain bad.

Fed the cattle.

Start shredding along the roads.
Ranch,we made a trip down to Victoria and parts of that area was getting some good rain.It seemed to split with one storm moving toward the Edna/El Campo area and the other toward the Cuero/Yoakum areas.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Put out hay for the cattle.

Continued shredding the front pasture.

Harvested jalapenos that were stuffed for supper.

Last edited:
K

ksk

While at the coast today,came home to .3 in the rain gauge. My last measurable rain was July 9. with .3.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to town to refill the propane tanks.

Seasoned up a couple of pork steaks that will be smoked for supper. I'll throw on 4 potatoes to go with them as well.

Fed the cattle.

Last edited: