• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made buttermilk bread & a buttermilk pie.

Made stuffed jalapenos.

Cleaned the burn barrel, then burned the trash... there was a lot of cardboard shipping boxes, LOL!!!

Watered the garden, asparagus bed & the few remaining things in the greenhouse.

Last edited:
W

Waite

Ice not too bad in our area, one 4" branch down on the garage roof, looks like an old dead one, so no damage. Bought an old used tiller yesterday for $100. I have limited need, but @ $40/day to rent I'll use this and sell it when I'm done.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Pulled the ZTR into the garage and changed the oil and oil filter. Got to get it ready for the season.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Put out 2 rolls of hay for the cattle.

Tied up the tomato plants.

Watered all the trees, flowerbeds, garden & asparagus bed. The 'Blazing Stars' & the 'Tuberose' bulbs for the flowerbeds are suppose to be delivered today.

Fertilized the melon rows & mulched them as I plan on planting the watermelon & cantaloupe seeds tomorrow.

Seasoned up & grilled chicken fajitas for tonight's supper.

Last edited:

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
It was in the 70's over the weekend, it's now snowing outside and supposed to be 64 tomorrow and 71 on Tuesday. This spring weather is crazy this year.

M

Mr_Yan

Yesterday I bought new bell pepper seed as the ones I put in cubes 2 weeks ago weren't up yet. I placed the new seeds just off set so I didn't disturb the existing seeds if they would germinate. Well today 6 of the peppers were up. Guess I wasted that $2 of seed money - typical.

26 F when I left for work. I expected the roads to be much worse than they were. The contractors over here from southern India are not fans of this weather.

W

Waite

We're supposed to have a few more flakes tonight and tomorrow morning. High tomorrow 41, then 50's for a few days, to 60's by end of the week. Bigger news is lows in the upper 30's and low 40's, so maybe close to last frost.

W

Waite

Snow this morning. More forecast for tomorrow night. Highs in the upper 30's - low 40's. Lows in the 20's.

Our 'average' high for this period is 60. That's 60, not 40.

Not only do I need warmer temps for the plants, but I need warmer soil. Unless we get some sun and seasonable temps pretty quick the ground is going to be very cold. And, I can't even put anything out to harden off.

We're supposed to get into the 50's this weekend with sun, and then maybe 60's early next week. I am really hoping this is over with.

Watch this, it's from the west side of the state. It's hilarious. Watch it all the way to the end!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Planted the cantaloupe. I wanted to plant the watermelon, but when I opened the envelope I saw that they most certainly not what was I was expecting... looks like either pumpkin or squash of some type (GRRRR). Guess I be planting 'Clemson Sweets' that I'll purchase locally tomorrow.

Continued mulching the garden.

Last edited:
W

Waite

I've been doing a lot of reading on onions. Never had a lot of luck with sets and always wondered why. This year I started seeds.

Onions are Biennial. They live two years, the first year they bulb, and the second year they produce seed. From what I've read, a set is an onion that thinks it's completed it's first year of growth, so all it has to do is seed. It sounds like you may be experiencing something like that right now. I have also seen suggestions to use the smallest sets as opposed to the largest, since they have less time growing.

Now I don't know if this is all 100% true, but if I have better luck with my seed starts this year, I'll probably never plant sets again.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Onions are Biennial. They live two years, the first year they bulb, and the second year they produce seed. From what I've read, a set is an onion that thinks it's completed it's first year of growth, so all it has to do is seed. It sounds like you may be experiencing something like that right now.

Nature tricks them. When you have warm days & then have sudden cold spells, the onions will think its year 2. We had 2 really cold fronts this winter (both were 18 degrees or colder)... Mine are not falling over or setting seed yet, but there will be no 'lunkers' this year (all are about the size of a hardball).

It's been a few years since a had an abundance of 2 pounders and I miss those massive onion rings, LOL!!!

M

Mr_Yan

Lots of small hail today - looked like a snow fall when finished. Lots of freezing rain up at work. Dangerous walking out to the car at lunch (so I'm told). Forecast for 1" to 2" of snow tonight and high of 50 tomorrow.

Peppers up, lettuce doing well in hydroponics. Dreaming of a greenhouse.

K

ksk

Nature tricks them. When you have warm days & then have sudden cold spells, the onions will think its year 2. We had 2 really cold fronts this winter (both were 18 degrees or colder)... Mine are not falling over or setting seed yet, but there will be no 'lunkers' this year (all are about the size of a hardball).

It's been a few years since a had an abundance of 2 pounders and I miss those massive onion rings, LOL!!!

Same here Ranch.Hard ball and some even smaller.How are your potatoes doing?

K

ksk

Watered the garden and planted some tomato and bell peppers that I had forgotten I had ordered.AC guy came out and the outside unit needs replacing after 19 years.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Clean/refill the humming bird feeders.

Took Mrs. Ranch to the eye doctor for her post-op checkup. While she was doing that, I knocked out the weekly shopping & picked up the replacement watermelon seed.

Hung 2 weather-proof clocks, one in the garage & the other on the back porch.

Last edited:
W

Waite

BIG Weekend planned. Got the oil changed in the tiller, checked the transfer case, cleaned off the tines, installed the new wheels he gave me, and adjusted the automatic throttle, which is really a hacked up thing he concocted but it seems to work. Going to till the area for my new perennial bed, make the frame, fill it, add composted manure, and mix it all in.

The weather says upper 50's to mid 60's from now on with sun until Wednesday, so we'll be hardening off this weekend. Will also be starting the squash, melon, and cukes indoors, putting the onions outdoors, and if the soil is warm enough, plant beets.

Need to change the oil on the truck and install the new running boards, mama has a hard time getting in. Not that I have it lifted, she's just short.

And, if after all of the I still have time, will make an hour drive to get my asparagus and strawberry starts.

WOOOT! It's SPRING BABY!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Planted the watermelon seed.

Watered the hanging baskets & porch pots. I should note that when I do the hanging baskets, I always allow them to soak in an cut down molasses tub until they sink (assuring that they are completely saturated). The pots are way to heavy or I would do them too.

Clean & refilled the bird's watering station.

Made more stuffed jalapenos.

Made 'Italian oil' & harvested some basil as tonight's supper. We will be having 'bruschetta' (grilled Italian bread rubbed with garlic, topped with tomato, onion & basil the, drizzled with the oil). Let the good times roll!!!

Incorporated mulch into the soil of the flowerbeds. I hope to get the summer flowing bulbs in ASAP & then get the beds mulched... it's suppose to rain tomorrow, so maybe on Sunday.

Last edited: