• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

M

Mr_Yan

At the inlaws for the weekend but still got a few things done around here
  • Mowed Lawn
  • Organized my shop and added proper garden tool storage
  • Started the permanent rabbit fence - 5 of 8 fence posts in
  • Planted a lilac that divisions have followed the homes of my wife and her family for 3 generations (4 if you now count our kids)

M

Mr_Yan

Work.
Continued work on my garden fence. Approx 75% done.
Chased inside from fence work by kid bedtime and heavy rain. Rain seems to be done.

M

Mr_Yan

24 hrs we got about 3 inches of rain - as measured from my dog's dish as the kids broke my rain gauge. Bands of storms hitting as part of that tropical storm passed here. The line that hit us around lunch brought 85 mph winds off the lake. Lots of trees down around here. neighbor has a branch down about 24" in diameter and at least 60 feet long and 60 feet wide from a big old maple.

This line of storms takes us from a high yesterday of 92 to a high tomorrow of about 70.

Mostly cleared one branch from the front yard - 8" diameter about 30 feet long.

Second branch came down 45 mins after I cleared the first one. That one is still there as the wind is picking back up.

I need to get a sawzall with a big pruning blade. Not sure I trust myself with a chainsaw or have enough of a need for one.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus, all the trees & porch pots/hanging baskets.

Seasoned up some pork chops that I'll put on the smoker for supper tonight. Mrs. Ranch is making twice-baked potatoes to go with them.

Harvest 10 more cucumbers (getting overrun). Gave 5 to the mail lady & the rest to the young family down the road.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Work 9.7 hours + lunch + commute

Worked on the rabbit fence until I got chased in by the rain again, and ran out of deck sealer-stain.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping.

Watered the garden, aspargus, porch pots & hanging baskets.

Ground up 8 pounds of sirloin steak today as we will be making stuffed green peppers tomorrow. I'll make the rice after supper. We have some beauties out there!!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to town to get fuel & a few bags of sand.

Fed the cattle.

Used the sand to fill in the holes left from where I removed a deer stand (so the cattle don't inadvertently break a leg).

Watered the garden, asparagus, porch pots & hanging baskets. Then watered the back yard grass.

Harvested a bucket of green peppers & cucumbers.

Then we made the stuffed green peppers, which took every bit of the 8 pounds of sirloin that I ground yesterday. They are HUGE this year & there are many more out there!!!

Big_Green_Pepper.jpg

Green_Pepper Harvest_1_061320.jpg

Green_Pepper Harvest_2_061320.jpg

Stuffed_Green_Peppers_061320.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Worked on my rabbit fence

Helped the neighbors dismantle the 1/3 of a huge maple which came down in the storm a few days ago.
Bought composting worms.
Burned some of my brush pile.
Fought with a stubborn 8 year old who didn't want to be outside this afternoon.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Watered the garden asparagus, flowerbeds, trees, porch pots & hanging baskets.

Vacuum packed the stuffed green peppers from yesterday.

Harvested more green beans. Also 6 more cucumbers & 12 big green peppers that I'll drop off at 3 of our neighbors.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden asparagus, flowerbeds, front trees, porch pots & hanging baskets.

Fed cattle.

Clean the back porch rug.

Clean the window shutters on the front of the house.

Harvested tomatoes for us. Also a bucket each of green peppers & cucumbers for the ladies at the hair salon.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to town for a haircut.

Took down all the Texas stars from the porch posts in preperation for the painters getting started on the house. I got them cleaned & ready to be sprayed.

Trimmed up the hanging baskets.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Checkbook project - two silver maples were removed from my front yard today. Big one has a 59" diameter stump, small one has a 24" diameter stump. I had them leave the chips for me to use as mulch.

Planted the last lilac bush and my peach tree now that the maple is gone. I had been holding off so the new plants weren't in the way of work. I am holding off on two apples still so they won't be in the way of the stump grinder next week. Now I have three fruit trees and 4 lilacs across the front of my yard to be a psudo-hedge.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden & asparagus bed.

Fed the cattle.

Started painting the Texas stars.

M

Mr_Yan

Fast question:

Do bundles of roofing shingles go bad with age? These have been in a garage and on a pallet. How would I tell if they won't work anymore for my needs?

I need to reroof my detatched 2 car garage.

The previous owner was "kind" enough to leave 15 bundles of shingles and I need about 11 for this project.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Fast question:

Do bundles of roofing shingles go bad with age? These have been in a garage and on a pallet. How would I tell if they won't work anymore for my needs?

I need to reroof my detatched 2 car garage.

The previous owner was "kind" enough to leave 15 bundles of shingles and I need about 11 for this project.

No, they store really well. They should be about as good as new. The sun and the elements are what destroy shingles.

M

Mr_Yan

No, they store really well. They should be about as good as new. The sun and the elements are what destroy shingles.

Thanks @wolffman, that's enough to get me to go with it but I will check that the shingles are still pliable before I tear anything off.

The bundles have 07-07-99 printed on the side.

I only need the roof to last 3 to 5 years, until we have the whole house updated.