• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Received another 0.39" of rain last night.

Made bread.

Made a pot of pinto beans.

Did the weekly shopping early as it is too wet for me to do anything outside.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Seasoned up chicken fajitas that I'll grill for supper tonight as we already have plenty of rice, beans & stuff japs.

Sprayed 'Drive XLR8 on the remaining crabgrass.

Gave Dieter a new toy. He's so proud!!!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Harvest 5 cucumbers & the FIRST 5 TOMATOES. BLTs for supper tomorrow!!!

Watered the garden & asparagus.

Sprayed RoundUp & 2% Imazapyr (think super RM43) around the yard & turnaround by the garage.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Been going all day
  • Battled ivy along the side of my garage - insidious stuff growing up under the siding
  • Decided on the location for three fruit trees and 4 lilac bushes
  • Bought 3 lilac bushes
  • Bought t posts and conduit for a prototype tomato trellis
  • Weeded the front garden bed of the house we rented - rental / lease ends tomorrow
  • Watered garden, trees, lilacs

M

Mr_Yan

• Mowed my lawn with my American Mower model 1815 reel mower
  • Removed the last roll of ivy - didn't go anywhere near as surgical on this one, just get the top mat out
  • Planted two fruit trees (5 gallon pots) and two lilacs (3 gallon pots)
  • Cut up the pile of branches I had removed from the maple tree
  • Burned some of the twiggy stuff in my brush pile - has to be done in a burn pit, can't just toss a match on the brush pile as it is close to 3 structures
  • Cut the some of the large diameter stuff from the brush pile into 14-ish inch lengths

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Found a few of these at our local nursery. Been drizzling here all day. Nice and cool. Haven't played in the rain since I was a kid. Thought I let the little one go outside to help me. You just don't see kids playing in the rain these days.
101950603_684394868959580_1589788260647829504_n.jpg101790892_192181485304027_3697086326315679744_n.jpg100625584_248202093111583_367899498346708992_n.jpg

M

Mr_Yan

You just don't see kids playing in the rain these days.

What kind of weirdos are you down there. Typical for kids to play in the rain here. Seems that the muddier the puddle the better too. We've worn out two or three pair of rain boots per kid already.

I have a pic of my son at about 4 years old sitting in his turtle sandbox in the rain when the sand is under about 3 inches of water.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden.

Put additional dye in the stock tanks as the recent rains deluted it. Also gave then a big shot of copper to knock the algae down.

Fed the cattle.

Started shredding the front pastures.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to town to fill up the truck, pay off my accounts & pick up feed/mineral blocks.

Met with the house painter & reached an agreement. They'll power wash the house, chaulk as necessay, prime & hand apply 2 finish coats. Since I'm supplying the paint, he told me to pickup 25 gallons. They'll start in about a month. This should last another 20 years or my death, whichever comes first, LOL!!!

Washed & processed some of the potatoes for a batch scalloped potatoes that we will vacuum pack/freeze for later.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Put up temporary rab-bandit fence up with simple step in posts. I expect this to be enough for a week or two. There really isn't too much rabbit pressure in this yard yet.

Trying to start a mango pit with my son as a small project. Made him tell me what to do after watching a few vids and reading some instructions.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I recognized the Rhode Island Reds, the light tan ones..I can't remember. That middle one is nice !
The middle one is a Golden laced Wyandotte. The Rhode Island’s are supposed to be the big egg layers, but it is apparent that they are overly bred as they have no personality and appear to be pretty dumb chickens.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the porch pots & hanging baskets.

Fed the cattle & put out mineral blocks.

Finished shredding the front pastures.

Made another batch scalloped potatoes after vacuum packing the meal-sized portions from yesterday's batch.

Scalloped_Potatoes.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

I'm on a roll.

Thought I would use my circ saw to partially cut the large limb I dropped then finish bucking it with a hand saw. Well my circ saw is now dead unless there is a thermal overload in it. Overloaded it and it started smoking a little. Then it stopped working. Second saw in 22 months. But I only paid $25 at a used tool place.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Watered the garden & asparagus bed.

Lite the burnpile & spent the day making sure it didn't go anywhere.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Lite the burnpile & spent the day making sure it didn't go anywhere..

Can you make my burn pile go away? The previous owner piled it up WAY too close to three structures to simply lite it.

M

Mr_Yan

Bought four 4-year old blueberry bushes from a local farmer. Guess these guys over propagate for their needs and sell off the shrubs for spare cash.

Still figuring out where to put them... I may have a problem.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping.

Watered the porch pots & hanging baskets again as it is in the mid-90s... Next Tuesday is suppose to be 101.

Harvest more slicing tomatoes. We're having BLTs & Mrs. Ranch made tomato/cucumber/onion salad to go with them!!!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cut the grass.

Harvested jalapenos & stuffed them as a side dish for tonight.

Watered the trees flowerbeds, garden & asparagus.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus, porch pots & hanging baskets.

Trussed & seasoned up 2 whole eye-of-rounds that I'll smoke for supper. The rest will be sliced up & vacuum packed for later when it's too hot to cook. Mrs. Ranch is making potato salad to go with it.

Eye_of_Rounds.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the trees, porch pots/baskets, garden & asparagus.

Slice & vacuum pack the 2 eye-of-rounds from yesterday. We got 24 family meals out of them.

Last edited: