• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I have never used chives in cooking. are they a replacement for onions?

Chives have an onion taste and are great on eggs, baked potatoes, salads, etc. They also have good antiseptic properties and are said to improve appetite and digestion.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Nothing to do in there right now... Still getting a nice gentle rain (.92" thus far), so I can't even work on my stone wall...

I am getting ready to dice up about 30 lbs of onions though, before vacuum packing them prior to freezing. Then I'm going to propagate about 15 - 20 more crape myrtle (from some cuttings).

N

Northernfox

I looked at the garden this morning while feeling terrible. so I figure I am sick I better go to work :D

Cody

Planting Zone
8a
The usual. water the plants,water the chickens,collect the eggs and sit down with acold beer and smoke a cigar.

R

Rolex

I can't help but wonder if your cigar butt would be good to add to the compost.

Cody

Planting Zone
8a
I've never thought about that? I let the chickens in th compost so I don't think I'll try it. :)

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Last thing you want is your chickens to take up smoking. :D :chicken:

That's funny right there!

Yesterday I picked what I needed out of the garden to make myself a sandwich. Had a craving for Toms, Cucumber and Jalapenos...

todays pic.JPG

M

Mr_Yan

Watered.
Showed someone how to use the small mantis tiller.
Filled the water pigs at the community garden.
Collected potato beetles.
Killed potato beetles with reckless abandon.
Harvested the first of my dragon tongue beans.
Talked to another gardener.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Just a few weeks ago it was raining daily, now it hasn't rained in almost a week if not longer and in the 90's and high humidity.

Gave the plants some water to drink.

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
Picked some okra yesterday evening. I have been picking 3-4 everyday since it got hot. I only did 2 plants to experiment with and man they produce a lot. I have been freezing them until I get a big batch to fry up! Some of the easiest plants to maintain.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Worked on the garden wall, got another 15-17' done... then I ran out of energy. Just as well, it started drizzling just as I quit.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Chives have an onion taste and are great on eggs, baked potatoes, salads, etc. They also have good antiseptic properties and are said to improve appetite and digestion.

We have a variety that tastes like garlic...

Chives are really good on baked potatoes!!! Especially those 'meal-size' ones, dressed out all the way... butter, sour cream, bacon, cheese & then sprinkled with chives!!!

Also good on soups & broiled fish.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I need to post pictures of my chives since I've moved them to the new container. They have really started to take off.

S

Slowngreen

Saying and doing are two different things Mike lol.

Got a couple peppers out of mine today.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did some stone border work on Mrs Ranch's flower bed. I almost got finished, but the heat/humidity got the best of me.

Cody

Planting Zone
8a
I made a new water pan for the chickens,got my 2 eggs and picked 5 more tomatoes. I think thats it for my maters too. Oh, I also had my daily cigar and beer while relaxing in the shade.

E

ErnieCopp

No Gardening for me today, as i am taking a car load of melons to Yorba Linda, and run some other errands while up there. That will require four or five hours of driving, so it will be most of the day. Will need to pick peppers and tomatoes for sure, tomorrow.

Ernie

R

Rolex

... butter, sour cream, bacon, cheese & then sprinkled with chives!!!
That's the PERFECT recipe! Just make sure it's Land O' Lakes butter, since I can't get Hotel Bar butter down here.
It might actually be against the law to use margarine on a baked potato.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Continue to work on the garden's stone wall. Yesterday I added 2 more courses to a section of it & today I hope to work on pouring another section of footing in another area.

E

ErnieCopp

I have had to drive north each of the last three days, so way behind in my garden, damp and humid here. Saw some black mold damage. Will spray kocide today, and pick peppers, tomatoes, and grapes. Melons going to waste, will only plant half as many plants next year.