• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

M

Mr_Yan

Sold one of the chest freezers (the smallest chest freezer made) for $40. The guy showed up in a Chevy Malibu thinking that would work. Not a chance that the freezer would fit in there without a sawzall. He took it home using my wagon and his car is still parked in front of my garage.

M

Mr_Yan

7 AM
Main move out day today. The moving containers have not yet arrived but "will be at your place in the morning". 3 year old and 6 year old have been awake since 5:30. The 3 year old is in full melt down mode right now because of her coloring didn't turn out right.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Got the buckboard bacon prepped for smoking tomorrow.

Cleaned the humming bird feeders. Put 3 away & refill the last 2 for the birds that spend the summer here.

Cut the grass. it was a hot...92 degrees & the heat index was 102 degrees. I think summer arrived early this year.

Harvested some slicing tomatoes for our sandwiches tonight. I need to harvest everything tomorrow so I can finish the first batch of Picante Sauce.

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
.04 rain picked egg plant's, squash, bell pepper's butternut squash is taking over that an cantaloupe's bad planning on my part

M

Mr_Yan

Stuff out of the house and loaded into the U-Boxes. U-Boxes picked up and taken away already.

U-Boxes got here at 11:59 - which is still morning if you consider anything before 12:00 noon morning. By that time we had everything out of the house and staged either in the lawn or in the garage. Within 2.5 hours it was all loaded into the boxes and the boxes locked.

Possible strong to severe T-storms this afternoon. High enough possibility that the NWS sent out tones and the weather radio alarm went off.

78 F by my thermometer.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
It's 5: 30 in the eve here in Cypress, Texas.. Hot as a fire cracker outside ! Transplanted a few Pride of Barbados to give to my neighbor down the road. Pears are doing fantastic as always. Peach..not so much. I did managed to "Harvest" a few fat juicy tree rats for the freezer. They (squirrels) keep stealing my peaches !!

61726660_2341111272768653_4883570616633917440_n.png62154616_2272564632836769_8420093687987437568_n.jpg61777719_1109478119243830_5360378807591108608_n.jpg61535999_2756172931091090_7181405839712845824_n.jpg61462903_1375484355932444_1564397522095439872_n.jpg

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Operation Coon removal has begun.They destroyed about a third of peaches and this morning I found they are feasting on my corn.

Squirrels left me with two peaches. I'm trying really hard to barter 2 peaches for 3 more squirrels. Sorry about your coon situation.

M

Mr_Yan

I did managed to "Harvest" a few fat juicy tree rats for the freezer. They (squirrels) keep stealing my peaches !!
Have you ever seen a squirrel ladder made using Conibear 110 traps? Very effective at reducing populations. It is simply a 2x4 leaning against a tree or fence with a line of as many conibears on it you can fit.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Smoked the buckboard bacon over apple wood coals at 220 degrees. I'll slice & pack it tomorrow.

Sprayed 2 coat of the clear matte finish on the porch tables. When dry, I'll put them in place & call that lil' project done.

Replaced the cushions on Mrs. Ranch's porch chair after spraying Scotch Guard on the new ones.

Harvested tomatoes, cucumbers & peppers. Tomorrow is Picante Sauce Day!!!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Sliced & vacuum packed the buckboard bacon. Got 20 half pound packs, which should hold us for a while...

Mrs. Ranch said to get the back porch furniture done before I start on the Picante Sauce, so that slips till tomorrow... She had finished washing the cushion covers so it was up to me to put them back on... After that was done, I sprayed them with heavy duty Scotch Guard & put them back in place.

Did the monthly maintenance of all the computers & then made backups.

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
picked eggplant's tomatoes / Mrs. L. cooking eggplant squash tomatoes garlic onion bell peppers celery sliced mushrooms all together . also pasta . french bread an sliced avocado
watered garden & the yard

M

Mr_Yan

"Don't put the penguin in the teapot."

Words that are ridiculous when you think about them together but seem so ordinary when little kids are around.

53 F this morning with a wind chill of 45 F. Overcast all day and peaked around 70 F.

3.5 days until real estate closing.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Fed cattle. Found a newborn calf & young heifer dead... I hope it's not the puma (there's no tracks that I can see). I got the AR10 out, put the thermal attachment on the scope & loaded a magazine with 150 grain soft points just in case.

Seasoned up BBQ chicken that I'll smoke for supper.

Roasted more tomatoes for the Picante Sauce.

Harvest another tub of tomatoes, 6 big cucumbers & green peppers. T'is the season, LOL!!!

Tomato_Harvest_060319.jpg

Cucumber_Harvest_060319.jpg

Green_Pepper_Harvest_060319.jpg

Big_Green_Pepper_060319.jpg

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
cut the yard an ditches.. thinking the weather man mite be right (this time ) picked cajun bell peppers an some slicer tomatoes. discovered cantaloupes under the real thick vines a small variety that is very sweet..

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Fed cattle. Found a newborn calf & young heifer dead... I hope it's not the puma (there's no tracks that I can see). I got the AR10 out, put the thermal attachment on the scope & loaded a magazine with 150 grain soft points just in case.

Seasoned up BBQ chicken that I'll smoke for supper.

Harvest another tub of tomatoes, 6 big cucumbers & green peppers. T'is the season, LOL!!!

Roasted more tomatoes for the Picante Sauce.

These are a problem. Newborn calves are their specialty. Protected bird though. SSS. 1563F92D-3354-4458-BE81-AF5A8CD94E66.jpeg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The rain total here from a tropical wave (designated '91L') is 1.16", with more expected. We need it.

Roasted more tomatoes for tomato sauce as Mrs. Ranch wants to start making stuffed green peppers.

Continued making the double batch of Picante sauce by adding the spices after dicing up the onions, green peppers & jalapenos. I'll add the cilantro tomorrow before I can it.

Picante_Tomato_Sauce_060519.jpg

Last edited:
K

ksk

While they are a problem, a caracara isn't capable of taking out a 600-700 pound heifer.
I worked in South Texas around Caracara's for years and never had a problem with them pulling down calfs or fawns.Our problem were bobcats,coyotes, and and occasional mountain lion. Caracaras cleaned up the remains.

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
my Rain gauge just read's 5'' that's what I poured this am have not looked at again my neighbor 1/2 mile away said he recorded 9.3 .. there is high water everywhere. field's flooded to WET to get in the garden

M

Mr_Yan

Boxed up most of the remaining stuff.

Deconstructed the swing set and placed the wood out at the trash along with two pantry shelving units.

All swing set wood and shelves were gone to scavengers within 45 minutes.

37 hours to closing and out of IL.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Received another 1.43" of rain since midnight, bringing the rain total here from '91L' to 2.52". We are hoping for more.

Canned the Picante sauce (18 pints).

Picante_Sauce.jpg

Canned the tomato sauce (4 pints).

Tomato_Sauce.jpg

Shot 2 more snakes while sitting on the back porch... total now is 7 rat snakes & 1 copperhead. I hate snakes.

Made 2 pound cakes. Slices will be served with strawberries & a dollop of whip creme!!!

Pound_Cakes.jpg

Made ranch rice for a side dish to go with the smoked chicken & stuffed jalapenos for our supper.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping.

Made bread.

Mrs. Ranch made the first batch of stuffed green peppers using ground brisket & leftover ranch rice. I made another batch of ranch rice so she can continue tomorrow.

Stuffed_Green_Peppers.jpg

Last edited: