• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Got woke up this morning to a vivid lightning show around 0500 hrs. It started raining around 0800 hrs. & then the hard stuff arrived a couple of hours afterwards. Total of 0.74", although I would have guessed more that that...

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
I had a pretty good light show as well .. .8 good amount for the garden . need to pull dirt up on the potatoes again rain washed some of it down. pinched real small bell peppers off to aid production (larger) peppers . 2 inch long yellow squash . everything looks good

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Heavy rain rolled through causing power black out for 4-5 hours. Started our new litter on "mush" meal. "Nurse Skylar" is in charge since day one. I'm beginning to worry..she hasn't send me her invoice yet......

56716109_368759490395804_4046700134543654912_n.png56504140_1566856903446490_3721173984675364864_n.jpg

M

Mr_Yan

Paint, more paint, false start on painting...

When I woke up at 5 a.m. Sunday I thought I liked painting.

Behr paints used to be my go to and I used them exclusively. After this last gallon of Behr Premium Plus Ultra I may NEVER use Behr again.

If my hair were longer than 3/8" I may be pulling it out right now.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Mulched all the Lirope, trees & crape myrtles. Started the back flowerbed, but my back is tired...

Seasoned up beef fajitas that I'll grill for supper.

Received the ceiling fan for the back porch.

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
lil wet in garden.. so I mixed up some calcium (ground up egg shells 1 tbsp an 1 tbsp of vinegar ) in a small I use a measuring cup stir the 2 things let it set for a few minutes it will foam ( mix it well ) then mix it in 1 gallon of water
shake in good .. pour around tomatoes as they start to form helps with blossom end rot
wind is drying up the garden pretty fast .. need to pinch off some more small bell peppers

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finished planting the caladiums & mulching the backyard flowerbed.

Picked up & burned all the trash.

Watered the lirope, trees, flowerbeds garden & asparagus bed. Hot (89) & humid today.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Ordered both gardening & electrical supplies.

Cut the grass.

Watered the pots & the hanging baskets on back/front porches. Left the hanging baskets down due to the winds.

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
to say it is WINDY here on the prairie would be a understatement. don't have room for watermelons in the garden so I cleared of 3 spots away from the garden (4 ft. round) an mixed top soil composted cow manure an mushroom dirt to make 3 mounds an planted (transplants) let them run

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to the optometrist for exam & new glasses. Found out I have cataracts, so I guess I'll be going through the same procedures that Mrs. Ranch went through last year...

Made a template of the electrical boxes & marked the location of the new lights & fan for the electrician. Also assembled the fan blades.

Watered all the garden, asparagus, trees/Lirope & flowerbeds.

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
wife an I went thru the same procedure November & December BERKELEY eye center DR. Michael Caplan pleased with the results
everything big enough to remove the protective buckets ( I hope). put out 5 serrano pepper plants now it's water an weed & wait

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden & asparagus bed.

Did the weekly shopping & did a 'liquor run'.

Made 2 buttermilk pies, one for us & one for a neighbor.

Got some flats fill with starter mix so I can start some spider plant babies.

Seasoned up pork chops & put them on the smoker for supper. Made succotash with the last of the 2018 Lima beans as a side dish.

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
just checked weather for the next several days WINDY gusting to 28 / 29 mph not good ...
I still have a LOT to be thankful for

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It 74 degrees & raining this morning... In the afternoon the sun came out & the humidity jumped up. Windy as all get-out too.

Made bread.

Planted the spider plant babies & put them in the greenhouse.

Last edited:

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Did my yearly "Weed and Feed" yesterday. We had a good 30 minutes of hard rain. Perfect timing. Mulch all of the mint barrels and add new soil for this season. Fixin' to go sit for 4 darn hours watching my daughter Brigade dance contest(God help me not to fall asleep) I did last time and she didn't speak to me for a week ! LOL!!! Made 5 buttermilk pies ( Mr. Ranch's recipe) for after party for her team. Ya'll have a bless weekend !

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden & asparagus bed this morning before the wind picks back up. It's only suppose to be in the low 70s today...

Hard-boiled a dozen eggs for breakfast this week.

Made a pot of pinto beans.

Tied up the tomato plants. A number of them got broke due to the winds yesterday, hind sight being what it is...

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
pulled a few small weeds watered all garden burned broke up pallets (early before wind came up) wind rolled most plants with vines around they don't look to sturdy kinda limp water well an hope & little T L C
took some venison hamburger out to thaw for meatloaf an oven roasted gold potatoes & fresh fruit salad

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden.

R&R the temperature gauge on the Weber gas grill (the original was stuck at 230 degrees).

Fed the cattle.

Started pruning the lower branches of the oak trees. Looks like it will be a BIG burn pile, LOL!!!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's 77 degrees & raining today (1"+ forecasted). I was hoping to plant the watermelons/cantaloupe & continue spreading mulch (finally received the 28 yards I ordered 4/04).

Watered the porch pots & hanging baskets.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Received 1.49" of rain thus far. Quite a lot of lightning last night as the front passed through.

Made bread.

Assemble the 2 soffit light fixtures so they're ready to hang as soon as the additional wiring is in place.

Easter baby!!!! First calf of the season was born this afternoon!!! It's sucking so all is good!!!

Last edited:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
received 1.6 hard rain hitting the windows woke me up at 3:10 am lasted about 1.5 hrs then waves of intense short showers till approx. 6:40 now sunshine AND the ever present wind hope everybody came thru the storm without damage