• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Weather is going to suck today. It's 47 degrees & windy, so I will take this timeout to start the begining-of-the-month chores.

Fixed a flat on the garden tractor. I have no idea where I picked up this nail, but better this tire than one of our feet.

M

Mr_Yan

Over the weekend:
  • 1/3 to 1/2 the stuff moved out of our house and into a storage / moving container.
  • Piece of weird shaped molding milled and shaped.
  • Window blind repaired (saving lots of money there).

Ton left to do today:
  • Buy paint and install garage trim.
  • Remove garden beds and soil.
  • Remove some top soil.
  • Install shoe molding in living room and dining room.
  • Scrape and prime south side of garage.
  • Scrape and prime mudroom
Sunrise 6:39 a.m.
Sunset 7:21 p.m.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Completed the begining-of-the-month chores.

Completed the quarterly review of investments.

Cleaned & sprayed 2 coats of 'Flex Seal' on my galvanized watering can & my fireplace ash bucket as they were rusting. These are a few years old, but apparently galvanization isn't the same as it was when I was a kid...

Watered the garden.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
We've got our own personal mini-nursery going on at the moment. Picked up quite a few more free plants this weekend along with enough PVC pipe for the irrigation I have planned. A whole pallet of some nice pavers too.

IMG_1282.JPGIMG_1281.JPG

M

Mr_Yan

Went hard from sunrise to just now:
Done today:
  • Bought and primed garage trim - included re-teaching Mrs. Yan how to paint.
  • <edit to add> Some garage trim painted first coat between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m.
  • One mini-van load of stuff to Goodwill.
  • Removed 2 garden beds of soil and one garden bed frame - One Dodge Dakota bed full of soil.
  • Removed some top soil - about 2/3 of a Dodge Dakota bed full of soil.
  • Met with a listing agent, signed the listing agreement.
  • Actually ate three meals today.
Sunrise 6:39 a.m.
Sunset 7:21 p.m.

Started around 27 F and made it to a high of about 52 F.

Drinking a Shorts Brewing SuperFluid

Last edited by a moderator:

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
covered tomatoes an peppers everything looks ok watered all . yesterday dug another 30 foot french drain by hand sharp shooter an post hole digger. slept really good lil stiff . grateful for this sunshine . yard getting dry sprinkler time

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to town to get our monthly haircuts.

Cut the grass.

Ordered an outdoor Hunter ceiling fan for the back porch. Upon arrival, I'll hire an electrician to install it as it would be difficult for me to get back that far in the attic to do the wiring. I have 2 additional spotlight fixtures that I want to have installed at the same time so he can do that as well.

54098.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made 2 loaves of bread, one Italian & one garlic.

Finished planting the soybeans & then replanted some of the green beans & Lima beans (poor germination). Continued mulching the garden.

Burned the trash ahead of the rain.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Been pushing hard since 6:30 a.m.

• Primed part of the garage
  • Painted siding on part of garage
  • Milled trim for garage
  • Installed trim around the garage door and corner post
  • Installed shoe molding in the living room and dining room
  • Primed and installed a few pieces of base and shoe molding in the kids room
  • Moved a desk upstairs
  • Installed OSB along the bottom 4 feet of one wall of the garage
  • Cleaned out the garage (only about 25% of that done)
  • Removed gable trim on the garage (more nail than wood in that crap)
  • Removed fascia trim on garage (more rotten wood / composted soil than usable wood)
Mrs. Yan also had a list of stuff she did.

Still need to move two cars tonight

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Looking for a gas grill. This is going to be for the wife for her birthday believe it or not. If I'm grilling, it's over a wood fire.

Looking for something smaller, 2 burner would likely do. Any recommendations?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cleaned the back flowerbed & pruned everything back in preperation for planting the caladiums.

Trimmed all the Lirope around the trees in the backyard.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping.

Seasoned up some large chicken breasts that will be smoked for supper tonight. I'll make ranch rice to go along with it.

Made a double batch of BBQ sauce... enough to last the year.

Put up an additional hummingbird feeder & refill the other 2 that have been up.

Dropped off a load of stuff at the LUCIES Project for their flea market. I would also like to encourage any Amazon shoppers here to donate to Lucies Project via Amazonsmile? Here's how:
What is AmazonSmile?
AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to support your favorite charitable organization every time you shop, at no cost to you. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to your favorite charitable organization. You can choose from over one million organizations to support.

How do I select a charitable organization to support when shopping on AmazonSmile?
On your first visit to AmazonSmile smile.amazon.com, you need to select a charitable organization to receive donations from eligible purchases before you begin shopping. We will remember your selection, and then every eligible purchase you make at smile.amazon.com will result in a donation.

Can I change my charity?
Yes, you can change your charity any time. Your AmazonSmile purchases after the change count towards your newly selected charity. To change your charity, sign in to smile.amazon.com on your desktop or mobile phone browser and simply select “Change your Charity” in “Your Account.”

What charities can I choose from?
You can choose from over one million eligible 501(c)(3) public charitable organizations.

How much of my purchase does Amazon donate?
The AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible AmazonSmile purchases.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Maybe. Let’s talk about your deer lease spot just in case you kick off before I do. I’m sure there’s a deal to be made!

K

ksk

Did the weekly shopping.

Seasoned up some large chicken breasts that will be smoked for supper tonight. I'll make ranch rice to go along with it.

Made a double batch of BBQ sauce... enough to last the year.

Put up an additional hummingbird feeder & refill the other 2 that have been up.

Dropped off a load of stuff at the LUCIES Project for their flea market. I would also like to encourage any Amazon shoppers here to donate to Lucies Project via Amazonsmile? Here's how:
Are you seeing many hummers? I put my feeders up earlier in the week and have not seen any.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We have 3 now... should have had a hundred by now. Maybe it's the weather up north that has delayed their migration, but who knows (they normally start showing up in mass around March 18th).

Fall is our really heavy hummer time.

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

MR. G. L.

Planting Zone
spent 4.5 hours at the dealership getting my truck serviced then another 1.5 hours for them to get grease off fenders an seat an correcting the over charges
got out in the garden pulling small weeds (not many)an plus the quiet time adjusted my attitude

hope everyone has a great weekend

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Rain/drizzle this morning, 69 degrees. About noontime, the sun came out & the humidity jump up... 82 degrees now.

Made bread.

Finished trimming all the Lirope under the trees, then fertilized them.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Mid 60s as a high.

First paint went on the wall at 5:15 a.m.

Pushed hard until 7:15 p.m.
  • LR painted
  • DR painted
  • Backyard cleaned up
  • Leafs bagged
  • Load of soil dumped at the community garden
  • New trim installed on the facia and gable ends of the garage