Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered everything in the greenhouse.

Fed the cattle & put out hay after moving them to the middle pasture.

Putting the 'Ho' in the 'Ho Ho Ho', we delivered tins of Christmas cookies to our neighbors.

Chrismas_Cookies.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Shout out to Kershaw knives and their life time guarantee.

I carry a Kershaw Leek 1660 knife as my EDC pocket clip. Early in December I noticed that one of the clip screws came out (the website lists clip screws as covered in the guarantee) so we sent it back with a request to replace the screw. This is a tiny screw T6 socket drive, maybe 5 threads probably an M1 or M1.5. Kershaw replaced the whole knife.

Cabela's lists this at $75. Must be an expensive process to replace a screw.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Made stuffed jalapenos.

Then spent the rest of the day listening to Christmas music with Mrs. Ranch & playing with Dieter & his new toy.

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Fed the cattle & put out mineral blocks ahead of the rain.

Put out another suet block for the birds.

Did the end-of-the-year review of the investments & arranged for the 'Required Minimum Distributions' as we are now over 70 1/2 years of age & the IRS wants their cut of the IRAs. What's funny is they think I'm going to live for another 27 years... Hell, if I knew I would have lived this long, I would have taken better care of myself, LOL!!!

Start perusing the seed catalogs & planning the spring garden. I'll get the seeds ordered this week so they can be started in a month.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Received another 1.51" of rain last night...

Continued perusing the seed catalogs & websites making my selections while working on the garden plan. I have to save some room for my new 'student' (a 7 yr old boy down the road wants to learn how to do it).

M

Mr_Yan

About 3/4" of rain in the last 36 hours. High was about 50 F yesterday. How aboot this winter, eh?

In-laws in town.

Started another sweater.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Little chilli here in Cypress, Texas.Been raking/burning leaves all day. Kids made me some seafood gumbo, in exchange I made them Beef noodle soup aka as "PHO". Beef broth won't be ready til' tomorrow morning( Low and slow cooking)

48960134_301838810446217_3532415549315219456_n.jpg49343267_809815402683749_7689978745502826496_n.jpg49725115_2117997754924394_731590164966539264_n.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Received 0.16" of rain last night. It's a lil' cool here (57) & partly sunny... but that's fixing to change with the temperature dropping for the next 3 days. It looks like we will finish the year with a grand total of 43.15", which is decent for here.

The mustard greens, black-eyed peas, cabbage & cornbread are ready to go... we're having them a day early.

Since the weather is going to be worst, I browned a 5+ pound pot roast on the grill & will finish it in the oven (for tomorrow's supper). Tomorrow all we'll have to do is added the veggies.

Fed the cattle & put out a roll of hay.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Received 0.16" of rain last night. It's a lil' cool here (57) & partly sunny... but that's fixing to change with the temperature dropping for the next 3 days. It looks like we will finish the year with a grand total of 43.15", which is decent for here.

The mustard greens, black-eyed peas, cabbage & cornbread are ready to go... we're having them a day early.

Since the weather is going to be worst, I browned a 5+ pound pot roast on the grill & will finish it in the oven (for tomorrow's supper). Tomorrow all we'll have to do is added the veggies.

Fed the cattle & put out a roll of hay.
I ended up with 46.4.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Close out the 2018 financials (almost tax time) & re-balance the investments.

Ordered 20 Jumbo 'Sweetheart' Caladium bulbs that will be planted in the porch pots (and some in the flowerbeds) this year, This is a 'strap' variety so they should be able to take the sun here if I keep them moist.

sweetheart_caladiums.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Another cold (41 degrees) & wet day. We received 1.10" of rain yesterday/last night & with the ground being so saturated, there is lots of runoff. We are expecting a freeze tonight so I turned on the heat lamp in the well house.

Watered everything in the greenhouse.

Broke down & cleaned my shotgun.

Took out the pot roast/veggies for tonight's supper & turn the rest of it into a hearty beef/vegetable/barley soup for the next few nights (almost everything came from the garden).

Ordered 5 Dwarf Canna called 'Pink And Roses' per Mrs. Ranch's request as she wants these in the front porch pots instead of the caladiums. Happy wife, happy life...

PinkAndRoseCanna.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Fed cattle & put out hay.

Start cleaning tree/lirope areas, then mulched them... 6 more to go.

Burned the 'trash' & feed bags.

Refilled the bird feeders.

It is a beautiful day here, 75 & sunny. Dieter is ready to play fetch & so were we!!!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cut the grass.

Put out another suet block for the birds.

Last edited:
K

ksk

My place is so wet,one cannot walk around w/o rubber boots.Using any kind of tractors is out of the question.So what does one do? Power wash of course. Started one side of the house and patio and almost finished when the hose blew a hole.New hose ordered should be here in a couple of days.The garden is looking good; onions,mustard greens,broccoli, spinach,and cauliflower.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finished pruning the Crape Myrtles & then burned the 'trash'.

The last of the spring garden seeds have arrive so we'll be ready to roll in 3 weeks.

Last edited:

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
My place is so wet,one cannot walk around w/o rubber boots.Using any kind of tractors is out of the question.So what does one do? Power wash of course. Started one side of the house and patio and almost finished when the hose blew a hole.New hose ordered should be here in a couple of days.The garden is looking good; onions,mustard greens,broccoli, spinach,and cauliflower.

Rubber boots ready here as well. I just marked these annoying area . Probably getting some dirt filled once spring comes around.