Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping.

Measure, cut & installed the ducting to finish up the new range hood project. It's finally done!!! Mrs. Ranch likes how quiet it is, even on the highest setting. I also ordered the LED replacement lights so I can get rid of the halogen light that came with it.

Range_Hood_Done.jpg
Vacuumed the garage & set out 8 new glue traps to trap any field mice that try to setup house during the cold weather.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Fed the cattle.

Filled the chlorine tank in the septic system.

Watered everything in the greenhouse.

Line trimmed around the community mailboxes so our neighbor can put up the Christmas tree (they do this every year).

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cut the grass ahead of the incoming cold front. I finished just in time because the winds changed & is now blowing out of the north (16-22 MPH) & the temperature has dropped 10 degrees...

Made beef/barley/vegetable (with the remaining pot roast) for supper tonight. It will be nice over the next 2-3 days.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Cut the grass ahead of the incoming cold front.

I still need to cut the grass and finish the fall leafs.

Drove home from the in-laws place. Took about 6.5 hours. Last hour switched from rain to snow. Got home and there's 5 inches of snow on the ground. Snow still coming down. Just below freezing and the wind is blowing.

M

Mr_Yan

Snow stopped. 14" at my place. Kid's school called off at 9 last night.

Spent an hour shoveling the second time. My shovel broke.

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Went to pickup the yearly license stickers for Mrs. Ranch's Jeep & one of the ranch trailers.

Received the LED light bulbs for the new range hood & installed them. More lumens (better light) & only 9.6 watts instead of 100 watts. Compare these to the original halogen - big difference.

Redo 2 of our leather fly swatters with new wood handles & then reconditioned the leather. Yeah, I'm cheap (and bored).

Leather_Swatters.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Tonight's forecast 9 F. Usually after a big snow here (or anything more than 4 inches) we get COLD. Not this time.

Saturday my mom is up here from South Carolina - forecast 40 F and rain.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made rolled wheat bread.

Went & picked up a load of cattle feed.

Treated the gopher mounds that have popped up by injecting strychnine laced grain into their tunnels... bye-bye gophers.

Pulled the trigger on Mrs. Ranch's new sewing/embroidery machine. Her present one was the very 1st computerized one that dates back to 1990. Hope she enjoys it!!!!

Last edited:

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Storm Harvey hit one of my(ASC)Ambulatory Surgery Center last year. Took me 3 days to get to it. Fixing the place wasn't my main concern. It was my staff that I was MOST concerned about. Most lived in the general area of the ASC. Most of their homes were flooded as well. My staff....is my family. They can't stand me LOL! ....But, they have always loved me as their own. In that following week, I managed to placed all of them in different area of Houston. TDH and JCAHO just did their "Dog and Pony Show" inspection. Next chapter. Before/after photos. SheShe's looking pur44.jpg56.jpg57.jpg58.jpg59.jpg

21557982_515059755506113_360572477992849598_n.jpg21686123_515059748839447_3298570512619817887_n.jpg21686000_515059752172780_8514333657188548534_n.jpg21558908_515059782172777_1374898063227909740_n.jpg21558827_515059785506110_4213619252703692394_n.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Fed the cattle.

Brought the big ladder over from the barn so I could clean the ceiling fan in the family room & reverse it for the winter.

Seasoned up 2 pork steaks with our rub. They'll be smoked for supper tonight & served with scalloped potatoes & brussel sprouts.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping & picked up another 5 gallons of RoundUp so I can finish spraying.

Fix the rock ding in the windshield of Mrs. Ranch's Jeep that occurred on the way to do the shopping.

• Up Vote
M

Mr_Yan

This question came up while my kids were talking "Which state has more porcupines Michigan or Wisconsin?". Oddly enough it doesn't even seem out of place in my house.

M

Mr_Yan

6 to 8 inches of snow on the ground. 34 F out and raining. This will make for a lovely mess.

Cleared tire trails down to the pavement in the alley / driveway as things thaw.
Did the large monthly grocery shopping combining November and December.

Last edited by a moderator:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Start the 'begining-of-the-month' chores.

Made a big batch of scalloped potatoes.

Made stuffed jalapenos.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Made 2 batches of buttermilk biscuits & frozen them for later use.

Did the maintenance & backups of the ranch computers.

Refilled the redbird feeders.

Seasoned & grilled chicken fajitas for supper, them made some Spanish rice to go as a side dish.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
While the big ladder is at the house, I decided to clean/vacuum the tops of the bookcases, display cabinets & the fireplace stone (all are 12' tall). Also did all my taxidermy mounts & all the artificial plants. We are now ready to put up the Christmas decorations.

Fed the cattle.

Replaced the antenna on Mrs.Ranch's Jeep as the rubber cover of the original was deteriorating. Also replace the air filter in my Jeep.

Mrs. Ranch's new sewing machine arrived today... Guess what she's doing, LOL!!!

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I decided to enroll Luke in Boy Scouts again this year. He needs the experience, and my wife was really upset that I pulled him last year. The ONLY reason I did it was that our local "Charter" took the stance of not allowing girls into the pack. Good on them.

Went camping this weekend at Lake Texana near Edna, TX. We had great weather, and the boys learned quite a few things.

IMG_0469.JPGIMG_0474.JPG

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We went to town this morning to get our haircuts & pickup stamps for the Christmas cards.

Put the small Christmas tree up (to see if Dieter behaves). Mrs. Ranch is doing the fireplace mantle.

Made a buttermilk pie.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

The ONLY reason I did it was that our local "Charter" took the stance of not allowing girls into the pack. Good on them.

My son is a Bobcat this year. Our school pack is co-ed but my daughter doesn't want to leave her brownie troop. The scrub-scout pack is much more active than the brownie group and the logistics would be much easier. I'm not a fan of girls in boy scouts and they're only there because of lawsuits. I don't think it will change much with the cub-scouts but boy scouts as we knew it is over. I looked into Trail-Life USA but the closest troop is over an hour drive away.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Replaced the Ceran glass cook top on the stove because Mrs. Ranch said it was getting hard to clean & it was scratched.

New_Cooktop_120518.jpg

Fed the cattle.

Started watering the stuff in the greenhouse.

Last edited:
  • Up Vote

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Started drizzling this morning, but tomorrow it's suppose to be pouring (the forecast says 4.18").

Did the weekly shopping ahead of the heavy rain.

• Up Vote