• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We went to town to do our civic duty... No line at all, we were in & out in 3 minutes.

Unpack Dieters new bed. I drew up the plans for his bed frame & will pickup the wood for it tomorrow.

Seasoned up chicken fajitas for supper tonight. Also will grill some thighs for Dieter & make some ranch rice.

Ordered a new replacement ventilation hood (600 CFM) for the kitchen stove. Mrs. Ranch approves of this purchase as she did not like the looks of KitchenAid's new design at all & the Borch was underpowered.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Did not have to stand in line to vote,took about 10 minutes total.Came home and begin to build shelves for both the garage and barn.My FIL had tore out a wooden porch and I took all the wood.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Fed the cattle.

Made a pot of pinto beans to go with the chicken fajitas, rice & stuffed japs.

Went to get the wood for Dieter's bed & then spent the day building it. I still have to sand it & fill the imperfections again before painting it. It was hot in the sun & I'm bushed.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Continued to build shelves.The heat/humidity wore me down and I knocked off at 3pm.Looking forward to the cold front Friday.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Continue working on Dieter's bed frame. Filled imperfections again & finished the progressive sanding (50/80/120/180). It's ready to be primed & painted as soon as the weather permits.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cool (53 degrees), windy & wet here... received another 0.46" of rain last night.

Made bread.

Did the weekly shopping.

Since the weather here sucks, I primed Dieter's bed frame in the garage. When it's dry, I'll apply 2 coats of black satin & call it done.

Bed_Frame_2.jpg

Last edited:
K

ksk

Finished second shelve in the garage and will start Monday on a couple in the barn.Had road hunters at 3:15 this morning passing my place.I got on a spot light and heard them take off[4 wheeler].

M

Mr_Yan

Had three holes drilled into, then filled back in, my head. Found out I am pretty sensitive to the epinephrine in the Novocaine numbing mix the dentist uses.

And I determined the guy who decided to put soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce in the same bottle with the same red cap is an IDIOT.

Last edited by a moderator:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
As luck would have it, it's raining pretty good again...

Ordered a new winter coat for Mrs. Ranch.

Clean/reversed the all but one of the ceiling fans for winter. I need to bring the big ladder over from the barn for the one in the family room.

Made stuffed jalapenos.

Dieter's bed frame is dry so I did a final sanding with 300 grit & wiped it down. It's now ready for the final coat.

Jeeze, I just saw the forecast & winter's going to be early... the next few nights will be below freezing. Cleaned & fumigated the greenhouse, then disconnected the vents & installed their covers. Tomorrow I have a list of pre=freeze things to accomplish, which includes putting all the plants in there (among other things). This is not suppose to happen until mid-December... I hate working in cold rain.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Still have snow on the ground.
Breakfast / brunch at my neighbor's house. 11 kids and 4 adults under one roof for a meal.
Tried my hand at making Chinese dumplings / potstickers even though I have never had them before
Making soup
Making bread

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Made Carne Guisada for supper since it's cold. It will be served with rice & pinto beans.

Went through our pre-freeze checklist:
  1. Drained the irrigation system.
  2. Disconnected all the hoses & installed the freeze covers.
  3. Moved all the porch plants into the greenhouse & turned on the heater & fan.
  4. Turned the heat light on in the well house.
  5. Put antifreeze in spot sprayers.
Fed the cattle.

M

Mr_Yan

Taking the day off. Kids have the day off school.
Made pancakes.
Story time at the library.

I've made one small harvest from the hydroponics. Almost 3 weeks makes a HUGE difference in bok choy.

K

ksk

Made bread.

Made Carne Guisada for supper since it's cold. It will be served with rice & pinto beans.

Went through our pre-freeze checklist:
  1. Drained the irrigation system.
  2. Disconnected all the hoses & installed the freeze covers.
  3. Moved all the porch plants into the greenhouse & turned on the heater & fan.
  4. Turned the heat light on in the well house.
  5. Put antifreeze in spot sprayers.
Fed the cattle.
Sam maybe I missed it,but have you planted your Fall garden?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Not this year... It's been a LONG time since I missed a season. We have a lot of stuff going on & I just haven't had the time. I do plan on planting onions though.

K

ksk

Not this year... It's been a LONG time since I missed a season. We have a lot of stuff going on & I just haven't had the time. I do plan on planting onions though.
I need to call the feed store to see if their onions have come in.I planted only a few boxes of mustard,cauliflower,and broccoli.