• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

M

Mr_Yan

Vac shredded some fall leafs and used them to mulch a garden bed.

I just spent 30 ish minutes making a 555 timer circuit to blink an LED to show my kids. The kitchen table is a long way from a university lab bench, I don't even have an auto-ranging multimeter. I had to use the random stuff still in my breadboard box and cannibalize a USB charger for a 5 V supply. But I was able to get an LED blinking at almost a 50% duty cycle on a 0.287 sec period. That really expensive piece of paper on the wall saying I'm an electrical engineer comes in handy I guess.

M

Mr_Yan

This is the start of my 2018 / 2019 winter garden season.

Shown are three bok choy, a Parris Island lettuce, and an unknown leaf lettuce. There are some that are not in the photo - 1 lettuce, 1 swiss chard, 1 bok choy.

I have plans for expansion.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's 61 degrees & lightly raining again today. We need a break from this to move the fencing project along...

Harvested some late season jalapenos that I stuffed as a side dish to go along with our supper.

The HVAC guy came out to check the new system, so I gave him a bucket of pears so his wife can make some pies.

Made the labels for the pear sauce & put them in storage.

Pear_Sauce_102318.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping.

Seasoned up a couple of pork steaks that I'm smoking for supper tonight. I'll make ranch rice to go with it.

Watch the fence guys. They are about 1/3 finished at this point (the front pasture is now complete). I'll move the cattle & then they can work on the next 2 pastures.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Fed & moved the cattle.

Burned the trash, mostly empty feed bags.

Continue watching the fencing crews. Surprisingly they finished the middle pasture, one more to go.

Rehung the TSCRA (Texas Southwestern Cattle Raiser Association) signs along the frontage road.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Harvested the last of the jalapenos (about 12 gallons) & started making Jalapeno Sauce to last us through the winter months. This double batch yielded 13 pints, one of which refused to seal, so I just put it into the refrigerator for immediate use. We're just about out of pint jars...

Jalapeno_Sauce.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

45 F, misting, WINDY.
Dried 2+ pounds of diced apples - to make instant oatmeal packs.
Moved a small (mini-van full of buckets and totes) load of top soil from my backyard to the community garden.
Cropped out my baby beets.
Spent almost 3 hours doing several tasks that each "will only take 10 minutes".
Made soup.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cut the grass.

Fed the cattle.

Watch the fence guys. It appears that they have finished so I'll take a ride back there to inspect it. They're picking up all the debris now.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Blew around then vac / shredded some leafs. Placed shredded leafs on gardens as fall mulch.

Don't fully trust a 6 year old with a leaf blower. The quality control wasn't yet world class.

K

ksk

Prepped planter boxes for onions.Talked to the lady at feed store and she said onion sets have not been harvested as it to wet to pull them [Carrizo Springs].

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Seasoned up a thick sirloin steak that will be smoked for supper. I'll also will throw some garlic bread on the smoker. Mrs. Ranch made twice baked potatoes to go with it.

Treat fire ant mounds that sprang up in the yard after the recent rains. Also hit the harvester ants in the pastures.

Rehung a couple of gates now that the fencing is done.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Carved pumpkins.
Roasted pumpkin seeds.
Quickly programmed an Arduino to drive blinking LEDs to illuminate my pumpkin.
int blue_led = 7;
int red_led = 6;

void setup() {
pinMode(blue_led, OUTPUT);
pinMode(red_led, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
digitalWrite(blue_led, HIGH);
delay(5000);
digitalWrite(blue_led, LOW);
delay(1000);
digitalWrite(red_led, HIGH);
delay(3000);
digitalWrite(red_led, LOW);
delay(2000);
}
Simple, yes, but start somewhere, right? Don't just talk about it

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Raining again here, sometimes heavily (0.52" thus far). They are forecasting severe storms later today...

Replace the thermostat in the guest house with the same make/model as the one installed in the main house. I like things to match.

Neighbor gave us 3 dozen yard eggs. I hard boiled 9 of them for breakfast over the next few days.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Received another 1.61" of rain last night (for a total of 2.13" out of that storm). We also picked up some significant runoff for our stock tanks.

Start the 'beginning-of-the-month' chores.

Ordered Dieter yet another bed (50" X 40" X 6" solid memory foam) for the bedroom. I'll build an elevated bed frame for it, LOL!!! Nah, he ain't spoiled... every dog needs 3 beds.

Last edited:
K

ksk

I can always tell open weekend of deer season [other than heavy traffic on the freeways] as my southern neighbor feeding corn on his side and mine.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Fed cattle.

Burn trash.

Put rat poison out in the barn.

Clean the porch/garage chairs, the ranch sign & the mailbox.

Cleaned the last 4 hummingbird feeders for storage.

Made 12 hard-boiled yard eggs.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Received another 0.60" of rain last night.

Clean the wasp traps for storage.

Made pizza dough & sauce to tonight's supper.

Made a pear strudel for dessert..

Last edited: