• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Start the 'begining-of-the-month' chores.

Refilled hummingbird feeders as needed.

Harvested another watermelon & 6 more cantaloupe (gave 3 of them to our neighbors).

Last edited:
K

ksk

Thinned out tomatoes.Still getting a few.Doing my part to make it rain; watered fruit trees,tomatoes/okra and watering back yard.

M

Mr_Yan

Raining here.

One kid down sick. Other kids with grandma and grandpa.

Spent the morning on LinkedIn building my profile and starting my job search in earnest.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Seasoned up a thick sirloin steak that will be smoked for supper.

Fed the cattle & put out more hay.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Another night of a kid throwing up. That was rough on my wife.
Another night of T-storms. That caused problems with one kid and the weather-alarm dog which was rough on me.

3.7" of rain overnight.

K

ksk

Pinto beans,chicken fried venison,mash potatoes and cornbread for supper.Tomorrow may smoke some ribs and chickens.

M

Mr_Yan

Another line of T-stormes just starting to hit us now.

A Chevy Apache 32 pickup is parked in front of my house. That is one cool looking little truck.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Fertilized & applied 19% iron to all the trees & flowerbeds. We're suppose to get some rain, so I'll hold off watering it in.

Pulled the battery out of the tractor as it is getting too weak for winter & will replace it Tuesday or Wednesday.

Made a batch of scalloped potatoes to go with the leftover sirloin steak.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Back to water mitigation in the basement. We've gotten around 8 inches of rain since Friday evening. Water ingress seems slow right now so my trenching I did as a start to regrade the yard must have done some good.

K

ksk

Fertilized & applied 19% iron to all the trees & flowerbeds. We're suppose to get some rain, so I'll hold off watering it in.

Pulled the battery out of the tractor as it is getting too weak for winter & will replace it Tuesday or Wednesday.
No rain yesterday.Got .4 today.Relatives on the coast have got 4-7 inches.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the trees, flowerbeds & porch pots.

Picked 4 more cantaloupe & a watermelon. I gave them to the guy that delivered & installed the battery for the tractor.

Washed the tractor.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Brought 10 rolls of hay over to the home site.

Watered the hanging baskets.

Refilled hummingbird feeders as needed. Then put out another seed block for the redbirds.

Wohoo, we just got 0.51" of the wet stuff!!! It's been a long time!!!

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b

Picked up another load of cattle feed & did the weekly shopping.

Fed the cattle.

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Refilled hummingbird feeders as needed, them put up 2 more. They blew through 2 gallons each of the last 3 days.

Fed the cattle as it is suppose to rain again tomorrow & I may not be able to do it on my normal schedule

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Refilled hummingbird feeders as needed. There a ton of birds here as we are smack dab in the middle of one of their migratory routes. While it is impossible to count them, we can estimate their numbers. From what I've read, there are 2 formulas & the estimates differ widely. Either way, we have a number of them & it isn't even peak season yet.

'Bird Watchers of America' said the average hummer consumes .46 ounces of nectar per day, so using that formula (256 ounces divided by 0.46 per day) we estimate that there are 556 birds here right now.

Another source said that hummingbirds will consume up to 5X their weight per day & that the average bird is 4.5 grams, so using tthis formula (4.5 times 5=22.5 grams per bird per day). I then took the weight of 1 gal of water (3225.6 grams) plus the sugar (720 grams) & doubled it for a total of 7891.2 grams. When I did the math, I got an estimate of 350 birds here right now.​

Cut the grass.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Received 1.30" of rain last night!!!! It's drizzling now, so hopefully we'll be adding to that.

Refilled the hummingbird feeders. Their numbers are increasing so I put up 2 more feeders (16 of the 24 total). I then tried making a video of the hummers using an old Sony video camera, but the computer didn't recognize it so I'm charging up the Nikon camera batteries & will use it. UPDATE: Had to refill 6 of them again just now (that's 4.5 gallons of nectar today).

Made a Pear Bundt Cake for dessert.

Pear_Bundt_Cake.jpg

Last edited:
K

ksk

Received 1.30" of rain last night!!!!

Refilled the hummingbird feeders. Their numbers are increasing so I put up 2 more feeders (16 of the 24). I then tried making a video of the hummers using an old Sony video camera, but the computer didn't recognize it so I'm charging up the Nikon camera batteries & will use it.
1.5 here Sam ! Brother in Hill Country has got 4''.

M

Mr_Yan

About four days without rain here.

The weekend was a lot of cleaning out / consolidating / trying to get rid of stuff.

Harvested 19 more pounds of beets from one garden bed and reseeded it with spinach and lettuce.

Community garden popcorn and butternut squash looks like a failure. Ears are small and not fully covered with husks. Squash plants are small and grass has started to overrun the patches. I don't think I will do the community garden again. Still looking to get a new job and move out of here before next season.

Mom is under a hurricane evacuation order.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
First photo is for Mr. Ranch . Norad, US Air Force Base in Colorado Springs. Thank you for your service Ranch !!

Thanks you. Here it is up close.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Liking the break from the heat. I'll take this weather for the next month.

Finally got the CNC Router up and running. Thank God, I hated the manual method of building these parts.

If any of ya'll need a custom sign, let me know. This machine makes quick work of it.

IMG_0157.JPG