• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

M

Mr_Yan

Starting to warm up again here. Sorry to brag to the baking Texans but we only got to 70 F as a high yesterday. At most 75 F today.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Its been really busy around here lately. I'm in the middle of installing a new machine (CNC Router), and I have an Ammo Packing machine in production as well. We will start building walls around the shop where the CNC router sits this weekend.

Last week we spent a day at a waterpark not too far from Ranch's place. Kids had a blast.

Other than that, it's hot as heck down here in TX, ready for fall.

router.jpg family.jpg olivia water.jpg plate.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Starting to warm up again here. Sorry to brag to the baking Texans but we only got to 70 F as a high yesterday. At most 75 F today.

103 in the shade here... the Jeep was 117 when I came out of the store this afternoon.

Last week we spent a day at a waterpark not too far from Ranch's place. Kids had a blast.

You should have called & I would have brought you the printer.

M

Mr_Yan

Continuing to work through a book on C programming and was stuck on pointers. After referencing another book or two and a few web pages the best description and explanation on their use was from a Harvard CS50 class lecture vid on YouTube.

It shouldn't take about 7 sources to get to the point that a pointer allows a function to act on a passed variable and have that value be written and accessed outside of that function.

I did like the Harvard vid where the presenter said pointers also allow you to blow up and destroy your program too.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cleaned & refilled the 2 existing hummingbird feeders, then put up 4 additional as the fall migration has started.

Cut the grass.

Fed the cattle.

Got a pot of pinto beans seasoned up & they'll soak overnight for tomorrow.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Just had to negotiate with a psudoterrorist about bedtime. Hard not to laugh at a 3 year old jumping up and down saying she needs to be in the livingroom but I have to go to bed.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the trees & flowerbeds.

Made a pot of pinto beans. Seasoned up the chicken fajitas for tonight's supper. I'll make Mexican rice later to go with it.

Built the freestanding shelves that Mrs. Ranch wanted for the guesthouse closet & moved it into place. The rest is up to her...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Fed the cattle & put out more hay.

Refilled the redbird feeders.

Put up 4 more hummingbird feeders as their numbers are increasing (12 of the 24 feeders are now up).

Replaced the 'ball catches' on 3 sets of double doors as they have become weak over the years.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Harvested another watermelon & picked up 4 more cantaloupe. I'm going to try making cantaloupe ice cream.

Harvested more jalapenos, then stuffed them as a side dish for supper.

Replaced the 'ball catches' on the last 2 sets of double doors. That project is completed.

M

Mr_Yan

Rolled over 100 pounds of harvest this year - as usual I have most of my harvest weighted to the end of the season, I hope.

Found a place to unload all the top soil I need to dig out to regrade my backyard - neighbor down the alley needs soil to fill raised beds and aborted fence post holes.

90F and high humidity here today. Big turn in weather as Friday we didn't even make it to 70.

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk
K

ksk

Rolled over 100 pounds of harvest this year - as usual I have most of my harvest weighted to the end of the season, I hope.

Found a place to unload all the top soil I need to dig out to regrade my backyard - neighbor down the alley needs soil to fill raised beds and aborted fence post holes.

90F and high humidity here today. Big turn in weather as Friday we didn't even make it to 70.
Send us some cooler weather [101 today] and some rain.A total of .9 in August.I have never seen oak trees stress this much.

M

Mr_Yan

Woke up twice to the weather radio going off for a severe T-storm last night. We didn't get anything (pavement dry at 5 AM) but several branches down at work today.

High about 90 today.

Removed the dogwood stump after work while the grill was starting.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered/fertilized the hanging baskets & porch pots.

Seasoned up a couple of thick pork steaks & smoked them, along with 4 baked potatoes, for supper tonight.

Refilled the hummingbird feeders as needed.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Looking out the front window this morning drinking my first cup of coffee,a nice 10 point buck is eating the bird seed underneath the feeder.The birds don't have a chance competing with the squirrels,coons and now deer.

M

Mr_Yan

More rain - reminding me that one of my life goal projects is to build at least two boats. A stripper canoe and a clinker style dinghy. I need to move before I can start building one. There'd be no way to get it out of the basement after construction.

• Up Vote

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Did the weekly shopping early as there is no chance of my venturing off this ranch on a holiday weekend.

Fed cattle & put out more hay.

Refilled the hummingbird feeders as needed.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Made bread.

Did the weekly shopping early as there is no chance of my venturing off this ranch on a holiday weekend.

Fed cattle & put out more hay.
So right Ranch about this coming weekend.The weekenders will start showing up tomorrow.I have to make a run to the coast to check on my mom tomorrow.I -10 will be bumper to bumper until late Sunday. While checking a deer feeder this morning,came up on a large copperhead.I keep a single shot .410 on the tractor.One less copperhead.

M

Mr_Yan

Just placed 180 pounds of concrete around the basement support posts. Need one more bag to finish off the job. Concrete work is not a skill I have built up.

• Up Vote
M

Mr_Yan

Big round of layoffs at work today. I need to get my tendrils out looking for a new job. New corporate overlords are really turning the screws for profit.

4 inches of rain in last two days.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the trees, asparagus & flowerbeds.

Refilled hummingbird feeders as needed.

Fed the cattle.

Spent the rest of the day researching sewing/embroidery machines as Mrs. Ranch said she "is in the market" for a new one, LOL!!!

Last edited: