• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Pick up a load of cattle feed & did the weekly shopping.

Fed the cattle.

Seasoned up a couple of pork steaks that I'll smoke for supper.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Received 0.52" of rain last night. We also had enough lightning to wake us up.

Picked up another 6 cantaloupe, we kept one & gave the rest away. There's plenty more out there.

Replaced the kitchen faucet. It took over 2 hrs. to get the old one out & 30 min. to get the new one in. Monday I'll do the garbage disposal. Needless to say, Mrs. Ranch is happy again.

New_Faucet_070718.jpg

Last edited:
K

ksk

Thunderstorm dumped .2 early this morning.Atleast I did not have to water the garden.I did spend all morning prepping veggies to make chow chow tomorrow.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I see you have some kind of ''weather bug''. I love mine.It's a heck of more accurate than the ''weather guessers'' in Houston.

That's the one to monitor the temperature & humidity in the greenhouse... We also have a large weather station that is connected to Weather Underground (KTXWEIMA3).

M

Mr_Yan

Just got home from a trip part way up the west coast of Michigan and back. Played at the beach with the kids in South Haven, Lake Michigan was really calm and warm (by great lake standards) then a few hours north to a small town on a lake feeding out to Lake Michigan. Got the kids bobber fishing (caught small yellow perch, and sunfish) and went on pontoon boat rides.

Drove 310 miles today. The van's odometer is sitting at 100,003 miles right now, sad to say that is an accomplishment but it's a Dodge and it's only on the second transmission.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
There is nothing wrong with Dodge/Chrysler/Jeeps. If you take care of them, you will get many years out of them (100K is nothing - my silver Jeep has 107K). The yellow Jeep Wrangler that I drove to Panama had over 300K on it when we left.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Picked up 7 more cantaloupe. Dropped of 3 of them at a neighbors. I'll drop off some at the feed store tomorrow morning for the owner & his wife.

Harvested more jalapenos & stuffed them to go with our supper.

Cut the grass ahead of the rain. I finish just in the nick of time.

Seasoned up & smoked a sirloin for supper

K

ksk

Ranch I hope you got more rain than us [.2]. Canned 12 pints of Chow Chow.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Received 0.89" of rain yesterday.

Ordered another kitchen faucet for the guesthouse (Mrs. Ranch is on a roll).

Dropped off cantaloupes at the feed store.

Refilled the redbird feeders & put out another seed block.

Fed the cattle.

Harvested 2 more cucumbers.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The air conditioner for the main house crapped out, so we had to call the repairman... We have a leak in the coil in the attic. We can either do a cheap repair (1 yr warranty) or replace the unit (10 year warranty). We're waiting on an estimate for replacing the entire unit. In the meantime he added freon to keep us cool.

Made bread.

Made a buttermilk pie for dessert.

Picked up more cantaloupe. Then harvested tomatoes & another cucumber.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Received 0.89" of rain yesterday.

Ordered another kitchen faucet for the guesthouse (Mrs. Ranch is on a roll).

Dropped off cantaloupes at the feed store.

Refilled the redbird feeders & put out another seed block.

Fed the cattle.

Harvested 2 more cucumbers.
Ranch I got .3. MIL in New Ulm got 1.5.

K

ksk

Weeded boxes today and pulled up bush and pole beans.Basically all I have left is a few cucumbers,tomatillos, and tomatoes.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Fed the cattle.

Harvested 7 spaghetti squash & prepped them for storage.

Went through the canned stuff & dumped the older stuff. Then rinsed the jars before putting them in the dishwasher.

Received the kitchen faucet for the guesthouse.

M

Mr_Yan

Took the day off as I had to pick up my wife from her flight around 1:15 AM. And after the last week or two topped with this we're both dead tired.

Mowed the lawn.

Ran level lines in the back yard and started to map out the topography where I'll have to regrade.

This is the main line. The blue is measured and the red is just a simple glide path from grade at the back of the yard to grade at the fence line. I have some digging, soil moving, and grading to do.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the trees, flowerbeds porch pots & hanging baskets.

Put away all the clean canning jars & supplies.

Made pizza dough & sauce for tonight's supper

Troubleshot the exhaust fan above the stove in the main house. Looks like we are going to be replacing that too as most of the replacement parts are no longer unavailable. Replacement unit is about $900... We seem to be hitting one of those bad luck spells...

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping.

Harvest the last of the tomatoes & roasted them. I'll decide tomorrow what I'm going to do with them...

Last edited:
  • Up Vote
Reactions: ksk
K

ksk

Watered all the trees, flowerbeds porch pots & hanging baskets.

Put away all the clean canning jars & supplies.

Made pizza dough & sauce for tonight's supper

Troubleshot the exhaust fan above the stove in the main house. Looks like we are going to be replacing that too as most of the replacement parts are no longer unavailable. Replacement unit is about $900... We seem to be hitting one of those bad luck spells...
I plan on canning some dills,whole tomatoes and one more batch of salsa verde and I should be finished.

K

ksk

Coming home from weekly shopping we came across our peach guy.Bought a half a bushel and will give some to in-laws and will vacuum pack the rest for later canning and cobblers.

M

Mr_Yan

Ordered the parts for 5 new support posts to install in my basement

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Fed the cattle.

I decided to use the roasted tomatoes to make a batch of hot Picante Sauce just for me... Harvested 15 jalapenos & 10 'smallish' green peppers to add to it. This batch will definitely be hotter than the previous ones. Dragged out the canning stuff again & got 10 pints bottled up. I have to remember to put a flame on the label so Mrs. Ranch doesn't take one of these by mistake, LOL!!!

Seasoned up 4 strip steaks that I'll put on the smoker for supper, along with 4 potatoes. Prepped some sliced onions & green peppers to finish it off.

Watered the porch pots.

Last edited: