• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Brought up & cleaned potatoes for Mrs. Ranch. She is going to boil & smash them them prior to vacuum packing them in meal size portions for freezing.

Fabricated 2 'toad houses' out of 'terracotta' pots so they have someplace to stay cool during the day. I found out that 'terracotta' isn't the same as it used to be... they had a hard carbon-based 'core' that was really tough to cut through & it took me well over an hour a piece to finish vs. the 10 minutes that it did years ago.

New garbage disposal was delivered today.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus bed & the porch pots.

Fed the cattle.

Harvested another tub of tomatoes, a couple of cucumbers, a couple of spaghetti squash & the last of the green beans for our mail lady.

Harvested half of the lima beans, pulling the plants out as I went, I'm going to start pulling the green bean vines out this weekend.

Sealed & painted the 'toad houses', as soon as they're completely dry I'll put them out.

Mrs. Ranch is still processing her smashed potatoes.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Finally found a roof leak that has been very intermittent over the past year. It was driving me crazy. There were a couple shingles near a dormer that had lifted just a little for some reason, and when the angle of the rain was right the water could get under them. I fixed that up with some roofing tar in a caulk gun. I've been chasing that leak for 6 months, and looking in all the wrong places.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the trees & porch pots.

Fed the cattle.

Finished harvesting the lima beans & pulling up the plants. Then processed them for vacuum packing/freezing.

Harvested more jalapenos that will be stuffed & served with the chicken fajitas that I have seasoned up/marinating for supper tonight.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Drove 4 hours to drop off my daughter to spend a few days with my mom. 95 F and full sun. Learned the AC in my car doesn't work.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Foreguess is a wet fourth. lol

Good... win-win situation. 1) We need the rain & 2) it will keep the city people from coming out here with their fireworks. A few years ago, four idiots caused a fire that took out 100s of acres north of Columbus (plus a number of homes/buildings).

K

ksk

Good... win-win situation. 1) We need the rain & 2) it will keep the city people from coming out here with their fireworks. A few years ago, four idiots caused a fire that took out 100s of acres north of Columbus (plus a number of homes/buildings).
So true Ranch.My in-laws live North of Columbus and one could see the smoke from their place.With the fourth in the middle of the week,hopefully less weekenders will be out and about.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden & asparagus bed.

Cut the grass. Killed a rat snake by running it over with the mower.

Made Mexican rice to go along with the leftover chicken fajitas & stuffed jalapenos.

Killed a 2nd snake (this one a cotton mouth) on the back porch just before Dieter's bedtime.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Set up 90% of one bean trellis then had to break for church. Got the parts ready for the next trellis. Each trellis is 20' long conduit uppers and cross rail with twine every 6 to 10 inches.

Started cleaning up around my home garden and the temp dropped about 10 degrees F in 20 minutes. Scattered T-storms earlier that coalesced into a front line about to roll over us.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Harvested another tub of tomatoes for more Picante Sauce (double batch). I got them roasted & skinned today, so I'll finish it up tomorrow & get it canned.

Picked up the first cantaloupe that fell off the vine... I hope it's as sweet as it smells!!! They are really big this year, it looks like a number of them are 8 pounds or better.

Last edited:

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Been down at the beach house since Friday. Got a whole " Platoon" with me( 8 kids) Put em to work( Yard work stuff) Taught one girl how to fish for the very first time. She caught her first trout, and she's "Hooked" big time ! She fished all night ! LOL!! Meals we're all caught on the Texas Coast. Accept for the elk sliders from Colorado . IT IS HOT AS A FIRE-CRACKER on the coast !!!!

Kids are laughing....Wimmin's are happy. What else can one ask for..?

36425827_1855650541159118_3195145253757648896_n.jpg 36430387_1855650454492460_5785730305339949056_n.jpg 36459772_1854148167976022_65370471691976704_n.jpg 36361846_1852851631439009_1559035676333178880_n.jpg 36375108_1854148001309372_1439661810574688256_n.jpg 36513139_1856499237740915_3879353330924781568_n.jpg 36401607_829328430601144_5740717166882193408_n.jpg

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Nice trout.I do envy you.I was a big trout fisherman back in the day. You guys look like your having lots of fun and great eats.

Thank you ! I've slow down on fishing a bit myself. Hopefully soon, I'll get a lot between you and Ranch in the future.

Outstanding!!! Your lil' monkey is growing up, cherish your family time.

Yes Sir !

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the trees & porch pots.

Continued working on the double batch of Picante Sauce. Harvested jalapenos/green peppers from the garden & added them after course chopping them (along with the onions). Simmered for 2 hrs before deciding that I was too tired to can it today. Tomorrow I'll reheat it, then add the lemon juice & cilantro before canning it.

Picante_Sauce_070318.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Fed the cattle & burned the trash ahead of the forecasted rain.

Canned the Picante Sauce (total of 9 quarts). And that, I do believe, concludes our 2018 canning season.

Just a simple 'picnic' supper tonight, as it has been gently raining since noon... hotdogs (Texas Red Hots) & macaroni salad. If you haven't had these, you don't know what you're missing!!!

Last edited:
  • Up Vote
Reactions: ksk
K

ksk

Fed the cattle & burned the trash ahead of the forecasted rain.

Canned the Picante Sauce (total of 9 quarts). And that, I do believe, concludes our 2018 canning season.

Just a simple 'picnic' supper tonight, as it has been gently raining since noon... hotdogs (Texas Red Hots) & macaroni salad. If you haven't had these, you don't know what you're missing!!!
Ranch do you do any canning with your cucumbers?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Total rain yesterday was 0.41"... they were forecasting 1.67" so they missed the mark here.

Made bread.

Scoured the kitchen sink & then applied a sealer to the porcelain in preparation for installing the new S.S. faucet, soap dispenser, strainer basket & garage disposal. Mrs. Ranch wanted a new S.S sink, but I talked her out of it as I like cast iron sinks.

Designed a shelving unit for the guest house's closet as Mrs. Ranch has been after me for a place to store the liquor & canned goods. I'll pick up the wood & build it after the kitchen sink is done.

Last edited: