• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

K

ksk

Another 0.6" overnight. Total 6.5" in less than 12 hours.

Read on Facebook where someone near here had to be rescued by the Fire Department from their house as flash flood waters were too high.
You guys are making the news down here as you all are experiencing Texas weather at times.We finally got rain last night [1.6] and hopefully more on the way.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We only got 1.49" for today (they were forecasting 3.6")... We'll see what we actually get over the next 3 days since they say 4.51". I'll believe it when I see it...

Cleaned & polished the marble vanities (both bathrooms) as I'm stuck inside. I've been meaning to do this chore for a long time...

Last edited:
K

ksk

We only got 0.46" (they were forecasting 3.6")... We'll see what we actually get over the next 3 days since they say 4.51". I'll believe it when I see it.
Ranch on a ''crows fly'' I'm probably 7-8 miles to your east.I got 1.6 last night/early morning.

K

ksk

3.2 total rain last two days.As whistech said,we need every drop. Raining this morning with an additional .5. Rainy day activities inside yesterday and today.Canned 8 , 1/2 pints of strawberry jam yesterday and will do blueberry today.

M

Mr_Yan

Worked on keeping the water flowing across the basement to the drain - we don't have a sump and sump-pump.

Found out there is a boil order for two blocks away but "our house is fine". Really glad we bought a good filter last year.

Found out we need to replace the transmission and rear wheel bearings on our Dodge Grand Caravan, almost $4000 out the window.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Canned the Picante Sauce from yesterday. End up with 9 pints.

Did the weekly shopping.

Put out a new seed block for the redbirds.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Another 1.9 inches of rain so far today. More forecast through early Saturday.

We had 12" in 10 hours during the last hurricane.

You had a hurricane though. We were forecast "evening showers with a rumble or two of thunder". My mom has evac'ed three times in the last two or so years because of hurricanes. She's really starting to question why she moved to and lives in hurricane area - they're in SE South Carolina on a barrier island.

No problem at all.
I also remember that area of Texas making the national news for weeks as recovery and rebuilding were needed. There were also several volunteers that went down there to help. My church sent two waves of people down each for a week at a time. I really should have gone but I wimped out and disliked the organization of the leader for the trip - the $750 cost didn't help much either.

Last edited by a moderator:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Fed the cattle.

Harvested another tub of tomatoes & gave them to our mail lady.

Seasoned up a couple of pork steaks that I'll smoke for supper tonight. Mrs. Ranch made a batch of her potato salad.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Fed cattle.

Killed the fire ant mounds that cropped up in the yard due to the recent rain. Then went after the harvester ants in the pastures, there were about 20 mounds of them...

Water the porch pots & spider plants.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Watered the garden,with 5 inches of rain last week,it needed it.Canned 7- 1/2 pints of blackberry jam.

M

Mr_Yan

Topped off just over 9 inches of rain in the last week. Today is the first day we've made it to 80 since Monday. Three dry days with sun have started to dry things out so water isn't entering the basement much at all.

3 year old down with a slight fever right now.

Weeded some of my community garden - first I've been able to work on it in almost 2 weeks.

Removed most of the drywall from the basement. Which revealed BIG problems - I may actually call in a contractor to deal with this. Structural pillars holding up the center beam (which supports one end of every floor joist) are rotten and one is not in contact with the ground anymore.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Did my quarterly liquor run to the big city of Brenham. Also picked up the new stainless steel faucet that I ordered for the kitchen sink. The new KitchenAid garbage disposal wasn't in yet, so it will be shipped to the house.

K

ksk

Mowed around the house.Peaches are almost ripe enough to be canned.

M

Mr_Yan

Got more rain this morning. Forecast to get another line of thunderstorms this afternnoon into evening.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, asparagus, flowerbeds, hanging baskets & all the trees.

Fed the cattle.

Burned the trash.

Seasoned up the beef fajitas for supper.

Picked jalapenos (will be stuffed & served as a side dish). Also picked some tomatoes, tomatillos & Serrano peppers to make Salsa Molcajete.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

At 1.9" 2.6" of rain for the day. May get more in the next few hours.

Starting to dream about building a greenhouse.

Just spent 20 minutes in the backyard while it was raining keeping my river / swale flowing. While out there I found that something changed in my neighbor's yard to cause it to drain into my yard. This is new this year and about doubles the amount of water my yard has to handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr_Yan

Rain looks like it stopped. 3.1" by my gauge in 15 hours. Puts the total at about 12" in 7.5 days.