Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made Italian bread.

We received 2 small tables for the back porch yesterday so this morning I assembled them & put them out. They will give us some place to put our drinks without constantly having to lean over...

Little_Tables.jpg
We also received 4 packages of 6" X 4" industrial-strength outdoor velcro yesterday. It will be used to secure the cushions of the sectional & the corners of the rug on the back porch. I did the rug & weighted the corners down with stone blocks while the adhesive cures.

Started raining here about noontime & it's suppose to continue through the night.

Mrs. Ranch made a batch of pecan brownies for dessert tonight.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Made Italian bread.

We received 2 small tables for the back porch yesterday so this morning I assembled them & put them out. They will give us some place to put our drinks without constantly having to lean over...

We also received 4 packages of 6" X 4" industrial-strength outdoor velcro yesterday. It will be used to secure the cushions of the sectional & the corners of the rug on the back porch. I did the rug & weighted the corners down with stone blocks while the adhesive cures.

Started raining here about noontime & it's suppose to continue through the night.

Mrs. Ranch made a batch of pecan brownies for dessert tonight.
Would Mrs Ranch mind sharing her recipe? Thanks..

W

Waite

Got the perennial bed pretty much done, just need to mix in the composted manure. The little tiller did a fine job, couldn't have expected more.

W

Waite

Got half of my late starts done, butternut, zucchini, sunburst, pie pumpkin and winter luxury pumpkin, and early fortune cucumber. Will wrap up the rest later.

M

Mr_Yan

New elevated hydroponic lettuce box built. Trellis netting up attached to the bottom of the lettuce box. Peas, beets, spinach, onions hardening off.

Chopped more of the privet hedge brush up and got it in the yard waste bin. About one more bin worth remains.

We made it to 64 F and it's nice and sunny out.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Refilled the hummingbird feeders in the front again... all of a sudden these are their most favored feeders, LOL!!!

Trimmed the stuff in the backyard flowerbed, planted all the summer flowering bulbs & then mulched it.

Pruned off the lower branches on one of the live oaks in the backyard, then burned the 'trash'.

Seasoned up a sirloin steak that I'll smoke for supper, along with a couple of big spuds.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Going to have lots of small onions this year. And some bigger/medium ones. Wife put out hummingbird feeders yesterday, and we had birds within 30 minutes. It's strange, one of the birds keeps flying to a spot where we had a feeder a few years back. Wonder if he's a veteran at our place?

Starting to prepare for a concrete slab behind my shop. Going to build a small addition for the CNC router that I'll be adding to lineup soon. This machine will save me tons of time.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The hummingbirds are late this year here as well, maybe 20-25 birds.... I just recently put out another 2 (front ones are empty in a day). Last year they were pretty much right on time (around March 15th), this year they're late & much fewer in numbers thus far.

We'll see how they are in the fall... that is when we have our 'big migration' (200-400 birds)...

Last edited:
W

Waite

Finished starting the squash, melons, and cucumbers. Tilled the amendments into the new perennial bed. Watered the peas. Buds on the new fruit trees are starting to pop.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Refilled the hummingbird feeders in the front again... I put up 2 more in front, so there are a total of 8 up now.

Cut the grass.

Watered the garden, asparagus, flowerbeds & all the trees.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I think we're at about 6 hummingbirds now. One knocked itself out on the glass door, but woke up and was ok. I need to design a better feeder system. I hate messing with individual feeders. The sugar water makes that a tall order though as these things need weekly cleaning.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Applied the velcro to hold the new porch furniture's cushions in place.

Sprayed RoundUp on the fence line around the home site because it wasn't suppose to rain until next Tuesday. And lo & behold, here it comes... It never fails...

WUNIDS_map.gif

Continued mulching the garden.

Cantaloupe are up!!!

Picked 4 leeks just to try them with our left over sirloin steak.

Last edited:
W

Waite

Picked up Honeoye and Seascape strawberry roots and Jersey Giant asparagus roots. Raked out the perennial bed a bit more.

Squash and cukes sprouting.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping.

Watered the garden (we didn't get near the rain I expected, which was a good thing).

Spent most of the day taking it easy... just drinking with Mrs. Ranch & Dieter.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Had to go shopping again...

Watered the trees, flowerbed, garden, asparagus & the porch pots.

Refilled the 4 hummingbird feeders in the front.

Picked dewberries, probably enough for 4 or 5 large pies... first one tomorrow.

Dewberries_042818.jpg

Last edited:
W

Waite

Planted 50 Jersey Giant asparagus crowns. Began deep root watering the new trees. We've had rain this week but no where near enough. Adding Bonide root stimulator at half strength.

M

Mr_Yan

• Sealed the alley side of our fence. That required emptying the soil from my planter boxes, moving them, then refilling them.
  • Planted out the peas and sowed carrot seeds.
  • Cleared out the winter mulch from my church garden beds. Will plant onions today. I bought three bunches of starts "Big Daddy" and "Red Candy Apple"
  • Mixed more potting soil. Kids with plastic trucks are great for that.
Last night the heating element in the dishwasher went out. Naturally happened on a Sunday and the appliance parts store is closed.