• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Mr. Ranch, you were warmer than us today. We were supposed to get to 65 today but I don't think it got above 58. Ya'll will hear me complain about the heat and humidity in the summer but I'm ready for cold weather to be gone.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
29683738_1753941121330061_239823302480558385_n.jpg Work and family have been a little hectic. The weather have been cool enough today to work without hardly breaking a sweat.Prune 2 oak trees and hedge. Got rid of all the brown from the Sega palms. Last winter burnt all of them.I had my little helper...." Spider Monkey" .

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I was planning on cutting the grass today, but it's drizzling here again. I guess I'll have to find other things to do...

Cleaned the interior of my Jeep (the Dietermobil was starting to smell doggie) . Laundered his 'mudroom', washed his windows & hosed the seats down with Febreze.

Took a walk to the garden during a break in the rain... the wind a couple of days ago took it's toll... The lima & green beans took the brunt of the damage, but even the squash, cucumbers & tomatoes were affected. They should be fine, but they will be set back somewhat. It's just life in agriculture...

Seasoned up the beef fajita meat & prepped the green peppers/onions for supper tonight. Plan on making Spanish rice for a side.

Cleaned the bathrooms for Mrs. Ranch.

Researching SS kitchen sinks, not a lot of choices in the size & depth we need.

Sink.jpeg

Last edited:
W

Waite

More snow showers. Today is suposed to be it. Upper 40's and part sun tomorrow, 50's on Wednesday, then three days in a row in the 60's.

W

Waite

Well after over 30 years, our La Machine food processor is dying. The bearings are starting to squeal when it runs. That thing has served us very well and I'll miss it. I had some bonus points coming from a credit card and ended up using them on a new one. Got a KitchenAid 9 cup, with a bread blade, a 3 cup small work bowl, and exact slice. t allows you to adjust the thickness of your slices. I'm hoping to use it when making pickles this year. Also has 3 different sized feed tubes, so could use for everything from shredding cabbage down to slicing carrots without them falling sideways.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Well after over 30 years, our La Machine food processor is dying. The bearings are starting to squeal when it runs. That thing has served us very well and I'll miss it. I had some bonus points coming from a credit card and ended up using them on a new one. Got a KitchenAid 9 cup, with a bread blade, a 3 cup small work bowl, and exact slice. t allows you to adjust the thickness of your slices. I'm hoping to use it when making pickles this year. Also has 3 different sized feed tubes, so could use for everything from shredding cabbage down to slicing carrots without them falling sideways.

After 30 years....Is it safe to say " You got your money worth" ? Can't beat a KitchenAid !

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
2018 Garden. Kids worked really hard this year. One have been offered FULL scholarship..Things are looking bright. Two down, two more to go ! LOL!

Thanks everyone for all the great tips over the years. To my kids...They think I'd really know what i'am doing...when I hit a curb in the road..(in gardening) Home Garden Forum will save the day. LOL!

19029618_1755978544459652_5321300381732067673_n.jpg 30173730_1764722600251913_408320856_o.jpg 30173704_1764723166918523_2082889005_o.jpg 30223854_1764722536918586_81931999_o.jpg 30173867_1764722656918574_1407202219_o.jpg 30176327_1764722610251912_1269787359_o.jpg 30223464_1764722556918584_1454150067_o.jpg

W

Waite

2018 Garden. Kids worked really hard this year. One have been offered FULL scholarship..Things are looking bright. Two down, two more to go ! LOL!

Thanks everyone for all the great tips over the years. To my kids...They think I'd really know what i'am doing...when I hit a curb in the road..(in gardening) Home Garden Forum will save the day. LOL!

Looks great! Crooked neck squash is looking prolific!

After 30 years....Is it safe to say " You got your money worth" ? Can't beat a KitchenAid !

More than you know. It was a gift from my sister. I called her and told her it broke down, stop giving cheap gifts...:D

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Started prepping the porch for Mrs. Ranch's new sectional... started by taking the redneck swimming pool over to the barn & then cleaning the pad prior to relocating the wrought aluminum table/chairs to it. Then I started on the covered porch area by folding up/tossing the old mat & scrubbing the covered porch itself as both the new furniture & rug are scheduled to arrive later today.

Relocated some of the porch pots. The Dahlias are all now on the back porch (they didn't like the afternoon sun) & all the Angel Trumpets are now on the front porch (they don't seem to mind),

Last edited:
K

ksk

Watered garden and porch plants.Plan on replacing a few plants in the garden killed by cold spell last week.

W

Waite

After a couple of days of sixties and seventies, we're back to forties. Rain all weekend, washout predicted. Ice by tomorrow. Forecast is for a little over 1/10th accumulation in my area, as much as 1/4" to the north. Power companies are planning for downed lines, getting crews ready.

Was planning to till up an area for the new perennial bed and change the oil in my truck. Not going to happen.

M

Mr_Yan

My peppers are being real slow in germinating. I am using my typical 25 W bulb ON in a plastic tote as a heat source. After 2 weeks I moved it out of the basement to be warmer and over night 1 of the 16 has popped up. I think I need to get new seed to speed things up - this seed is 2 to 4 years old.

36 F forecast high, rainy, and WINDY here today.

W

Waite

Peppers are slow anyway. Go look at the pic I just posted in the vegetable forum. All of that was planted at the same time. It took some of them over a week to germinate, and I use heat mats set around 85°.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
LOL Mike!!! That's where the women will sit... Men (and the dogs) normally stay down in the party barn drinking & talking while we do the cooking.